Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Vance Worley Tosses Best Game Of Career.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,765 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:47 AM

OK.So who of you want to see "the present" Worley in today'srotation?None?this thread reminds me of a sunfish I caught, but threw back in the lake.Someone else caught him and ate him--and I'm OK with that.

• James and Hosken Bombo Disco like this

#22 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

I realize there was an oversupply of arms for the available innings at Rochester.It baffled me then, and still does, that selling Worley for pennies would be the solution.

How would you have resolved it?

#23 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:58 AM

Also Look at who is about to be in our rotation and tell me if you think Worely should be here or not.

Nolasco

Hughes

Gibson

May

Meyer

Pino

That's 6 solid starters and Berrios should be pretty close next year too.Johnson and Darnell will be available so we will have lots of options up here.Do we really need Worely.I think Terry Ryan said they traded him to cut bait and give him an opportunity to start fresh somewhere else.So I am guessing that means relationships and past results made it hard for him to be put in a spot to succeed here so why not trade him. 

#24 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Toledo Mud Hens

• Members
  • 2,300 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:19 AM

Nolasco
Hughes
Gibson
May
Meyer
Pino

That's 6 solid starters

Sure, and how much better would they be under Pittsburgh's care :)
When I hear a pitcher is throwing a “simulated game” my first thought is that he repeated the opposing lineup 10,000 times. - Jonathan Judge

#25 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,631 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:26 AM

Odd that after the last 3+ years and player after player going to other teams and at least being mediocre that people can still give the front office and coaching staff a  free pass.

How long do we have to watch bad baseball before there is some accountability?

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#26 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 8,890 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:32 AM

Since you asked, I'd have cut Diamond (or Pino) right away, and kept Worley. I'd rather see him than Darnell or Johnson or Pino in the rotation today. I'd rather have a 25 year old with some MLB success in AAA, than a 30 year old that can't stick in AAA teams, for example. 

And, they didn't trade him. They got a couple of bucks for him. They cut him. After he cleared waivers, and could have kept him in AAA. He was young, and had upside. Thinking it was a good baseball decision (not about personalities or whatever, but baseball) seems odd to me.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#27 jharaldson

jharaldson

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 11:55 AM

Vance Worley, if he continues pitching with the peripherals he's currently sporting, will also collapse spectacularly. Nobody can sustain above average - or even average - performances with those peripherals.

I agree that he is pitching beyond what his peripheral stats would suggest but I disagre with the idea of a spectacular collapse.  He is currently sporitng a FIP of 3.52 and a xFIP of 3.77.  Both of those are in line with his good years in Philly.  Both of those are significantly better than his 2013 with the Twins.  Both of those suggest he isn't a top of the rotation guy like his 2.54 ERA suggests but both suggest to me that he can be a fine 3-4 starter when things correct.

• mike wants wins likes this

#28 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 03:22 PM

Worley is getting lucky. It happens to all pitchers, it just looks worse in this case because it happened to happen as soon as he joined the Pirates.

I did a quick glance at one of Blackburns seasons real quickly, heck, he had a 12 game stretch where he had a 2.20 ERA.

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#29 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,777 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:04 PM

Worley is a bum. He is going to get pounded in no time. I don't care how well he does for 8 starts. There is no way this guy keeps it up. I really don't think its hard to defend the Twins about releasing a guy that blames a bad start on the wind. **** this guy. I can't wait until I can revive this thread after a 5+ ERA.
Do or do not. There is no try.