Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Top Strikeout Duos

all-time strikeouts trivia teammates
  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:39 AM

The same team has had both the top single season pitching strikeout duo* of all time and the top single season batting strikeout duo of all time. Can you name the team, the players and the years?

* Since 1900, that is. Not counting the Pud Galvin and Old Hoss Radbourn pitching era. 

#2 biggentleben

biggentleben

• Members
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

The same team has had both the top single season pitching strikeout duo* of all time and the top single season batting strikeout duo of all time. Can you name the team, the players and the years?

* Since 1900, that is. Not counting the Pud Galvin and Old Hoss Radbourn pitching era. 

I believe Arizona has the highest pitching duo, so I'm going to guess them, especially since they have some 200+ years of Mark Reynolds.

Staff Writer for Tomahawktake.com, come check it out!

#3 Teflon

Teflon

• Members
  • 255 posts

Posted 31 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

The Arizona Diamondbacks have the distinction of having both the best modern era (1900 +) single season pitching strikeout duo of all time (Randy Johnson 372 and Curt Schilling 292 in 2001) and the worst single season batting strikeout duo of all time. (Mark Reynolds 211 and Adam LaRoche 172 in 2010)

The Diamondbacks also have the second best/worst single season duos in both categories as Johnson (334) and Schilling (316) had the second highest combined pitching total  in 2002 and Reynolds (204) and Chris Young (165) had the second highest combined batting total in 2008.

I guess fans complaining about the heat in Arizona at least had some relief from all the fanning the players were doing in the batters' box.

• snepp, biggentleben and Willihammer like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: all-time strikeouts, trivia, teammates