Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Promote Jeff Manship

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 08:57 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...te-Jeff-Manship

#2 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 1,076 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

Komatsu is more like what they already have lots of in the system...or it means the Twins are drafting an outfielder instead of a pitcher. I expect they might be able to keep him, or maybe ship Capps to the Nats.

#3 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

Let him go. With the DFA, he is essentially a C level prospect in the Washington organization. If teh Twins are going to trade for C level prospects, shouldn't we be looking at other positions?

#4 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

I do NOT understand the Twins moves...no problem with recalling Manship--that was coming. Why carry 13 pitchers?? Most importantly why put Liriano back in the rotation--unless this is last shot and if he screws up again he goes back to pen when Blackburn comes back from rehab...

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,805 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:05 AM

With a rotation of Walters, Diamond, De Vries, Liriano and Pavano, I think 13 pitchers makes sense. They probably need two long relievers, and Swarzak likely won't be available for a few days.

#6 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:15 AM

Wow. I have no problem with the 13 pitchers, but I'm surprised they would just throw Komatsu away. I haven't really been impressed with him, but it seems like there were better moves to make. Would Mastroianni have had to been put on waivers? Is he out of options?

#7 IdahoPilgrim

IdahoPilgrim

• Members
  • 2,424 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:30 AM

Mastroianni started the year on the 40-man, at New Britain, so his option for the year was already used - he can be moved back and forth as desired without consequence until next year. I wasn't sure why they took Komatsu either; it's not as if they're short on prospects in the OF...

#8 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:46 AM

Until Twins starters can start consistently getting through 5 innings, carrying 13 pitchers is pretty much a no-brainer. I'm not going to lose any sleep over their decision to let Komatsu go.

#9 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

With a rotation of Walters, Diamond, De Vries, Liriano and Pavano, I think 13 pitchers makes sense. They probably need two long relievers, and Swarzak likely won't be available for a few days.

Agree! Manship could take Devries spot if he struggles again or they will just wait until Blackie gets back and send down Cole....I don't think any of us thought DeVries was more then a 1 or 3 start guy anyway. Either way Manship is waiting in the wings but can be used as a 6th starter/long relief. As for Komatsu....who really cares, he and Mastro are bascically the same type player. This teams problem is starting pitching not 5th OF'ers

#10 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 12:02 PM

Komatsu is certainly worth keeping around in favor of Mastroianni even if Mastro was out of options, I think. So this is just another weird move.

#11 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

This is a big head scratcher. Komatsu has more value than Mastroianni and has been performing better. Although if the Twins lose Komatsu, I doubt it will haunt them at all. There are two reasons why the Twins may have opted for Mastro instead. The first could be that they want the big league club to have another utility man. Darin is a little faster than Komatsu and has the advantage in the field. The other is Mastroianni's ability to play 2B and OF, whereas Komatsu is solely an outfielder.

#12 peterb18

peterb18

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 06:53 AM

What a weak starting staff--probably in the bottom 2 or 3 in all of the major leagues. This draft is so important. Watching Anderson on the sidelines--he is under so much pressure with this staff. Only so much he can do. Like Keith Law stated(yesterday's tribune),"I think they focus too much on polish". Until they change focus nothing will change. Ever listen to TK and his philosophy on hitting the spots, etc. Power pitchers usually bust it in there and let the natural movement take over. This attitude is too pervasive(control pitching) in the minors. Not enough hard throwers--as we all know. People on this site have been talking about this for a long time.

#13 SweetOne69

SweetOne69

• Members
  • 476 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Not only that but Komatsu is a rule 5 pick this winter so if he clears waivers he has to be offered back to the nationals (for $25k) or we would have to work out a trade in order to keep him.

#14 SirLoin

SirLoin

• Members
  • 113 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:11 PM

With 38 spots on the 40-man, what are the chances Slama gets one of those spots? Who would potentially get the second spot? Oliveros? Burroughs?

#15 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:31 PM

I am sure they will leave the spots open until they need to put someone on the 25.

#16 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,411 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 28 May 2012 - 09:54 PM

Who gets the $25K if the Nats take Komatsu back? The Cardinals paid $50K to get him, right? Did $50K pass from the Twins to Cards when they claimed him on waivers? I don't recall, but seems like they must have; otherwise, it's pretty sweet to just scoop up a guy and then a few weeks later say "never mind, oh, and give us $25K".

#17 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,636 posts

Posted 28 May 2012 - 10:12 PM

The waiver fee in the old CBA was $20000. I don't know if it changed, but the net will not be more than $5000.