Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/28): General Lee's Miracle

brett lee trey vavra mitch garver
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:14 PM

First, Brett is only 23.He turns 24 after minor league season ends.

Interesting comp to Langston--Brett has been my AAP for last 2 seasons and I was trying to come up with a comp.I started with Duensing--a lefty spot starter and reliever.However, Brett has developed into a good back of the rotation starter.Nowhere near CC Sabathia front of the rotation guy.So yes, Langston is interesting comp.He hasn't been getting the Ks this year that he did second half last year.But he has been getting the groundball outs.I agree we need to see Brett in New Britain (but post-season for Ft. Myers may play a role here).

Question:Who has to be added to 40 man this offseason??I thought it was 2011 draft class which includes Brett and most of the guys now at Ft. Myers like Walker and DJ Hicks.Does that come into consideration when adding guys like Buxton now who don't need to be.

#22 DJSim22

DJSim22

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

A good way to get shutout, put Pedro Florimon in the 3 spot of the batting order.....

#23 DuluthFan

DuluthFan

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:47 PM

To find out who needs to be added to the 40 man roster this offseason, check out the new organizational link on the home page. You can sort by year they become eligible for the rule 5 draft. Don't for get to include the already eligible players (some may have improved their standing compared to last year). Also noteworthy is the players that would become minor league free agents if they are not added to the 40 man roster.

While there are many calls to call up Mays & Myer this year, it would be in the Twins best interests to give extended playing time to the other AAA pitchers on the 40 man roster first. The Twins need to know if they should keep them or DFA them this offseason. There are a couple of other pitchers that will need to be added this offseason or be exposed to the Rule 5 draft (Gilmartin). There is no doubt that Mays & Myer will be around next year, it is not so clear cut for some of the other young pitchers.

• DAM DC Twins Fans likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brett lee, trey vavra, mitch garver