Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Thursday Night Lights

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:38 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...ay-Night-Lights

#2 Cap'n Piranha

Cap'n Piranha

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:31 AM

While Sano's struggles are certainly not good, I must say that the lead is being buried--Sano put up a stolen base last night...of home! He also had two walks last night, after having only 3 in his previous 9 games combined. Perhaps pitchers were starting to find some weaknesses (i.e. getting Sano to chase), and last night is an indication he's beginning to adjust?

#3 Chance

Chance

• Members
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:12 AM

Is anyone else thinking Hendricks might be ready to be called up again? AAA is too easy for him and since our season is tanking we might as well give him more time to figure out ML hitters. He will be a starter next season so let him work things out know.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:39 AM

Is anyone else thinking Hendricks might be ready to be called up again? AAA is too easy for him and since our season is tanking we might as well give him more time to figure out ML hitters. He will be a starter next season so let him work things out know.

It won't be long. I think that it's good for him to have 6-8 weeks of this kind of success to remind himself that he's good and that he can be a 2-3 type of starter. he was clearly jarred a little early in the season, and I think pushing him back too quickly could be negative. But that said, I don't think it'll be too long.

#5 skraft33

skraft33

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 10:36 AM

It won't be long. I think that it's good for him to have 6-8 weeks of this kind of success to remind himself that he's good and that he can be a 2-3 type of starter. he was clearly jarred a little early in the season, and I think pushing him back too quickly could be negative. But that said, I don't think it'll be too long.

I mean this as no offense Seth, but what are your credentials for a 2-3 starter? I haven't seen anything out of Hendriks, both stats and stuff-wise, to think he's any more than a 4-5.

#6 buckshotmike

buckshotmike

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

I mean this as no offense Seth, but what are your credentials for a 2-3 starter? I haven't seen anything out of Hendriks, both stats and stuff-wise, to think he's any more than a 4-5.

Agree, he's not a number 2 at all. Perhaps, and I mean just maybe he's a number 3. He could be an ace for the Twins though with the guys they've been running out there.

#7 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 621 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:03 PM

Agreed. Don't think Hendriks will ever be a #2, top 45 pitcher in all of baseball. I'd put his ceiling at a 3 (this coming from a guy who likes him a lot). Frankly, I'm not so sure the Twins have a #2 ceiling or better starter in their entire system at this point, the pitching is that bad when it comes to upper-echelon starting pitching talent.

#8 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,198 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 02:32 PM

I think that Scott Baker, at healthy and at his best, is a #2 starter. I think that is the ceiling for Hendriks, and I'm comfortable saying that. More than likely, he's a 3 or 4, but I'll stand by it. 1.) he's got good control. 2.) he's been able to get strikeouts through the minors. 3.) He has about the same velocity as Baker (2-seam 88-91, 4-seam 92-93), with good movement on the 2-seamer, 4.) has the CB and CU that are already solid, but to get to #2 level will have to get more consistent, 5.) not afraid to wear some emotions on his shoulder on the mound (I sometimes think this is a good thing, he is very competitive), 6.) having talked to him many times about pitching, he knows what he's doing and know how to make adjustments. Sure, more than likely, he'll be a #3, but I think it's fair to say his ceiling is a #2. I'm fine with others disagreeing with me, but I know I'd be really happy if he turns into a healthy Scott Baker (and you can argue with whether that is a #2 or a #3 too).