Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: A Sleeping Giant Awakened?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...-Giant-Awakened

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

This would be good.

#3 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,240 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:51 PM

This could be a difference maker. Mauer also homered, and if those two can get going, then there will be a lot more run production.

#4 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2012 - 11:41 PM

Let's keep our fingers crossed. Health and a return to his previous status as a hitter would be really, really good news.

#5 Montecore

Montecore

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

Good to see. Too bad they blew 3 or 4 chances and Duensing's mess.

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,758 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 25 May 2012 - 06:30 AM

Another thing I found positive about last night was that Morneau played first again (all 3 games in the series). On Wednesday night he made a tag on someone and Bremer commented about how it was so danagerous to his wrist ... and all I could think was "if making a tag at 1st is dangerous to the wrist, he needs to retire." (Yes, I reallize he could DH). It's nice to see the (no longer so) big guy looking like a recognizable facsimile of his former self.

#7 jmlease1

jmlease1

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:57 AM

I'm just happy to see him playing and playing well. I hope he gets a well-deserved run of good health.

#8 JasonDRuiz

JasonDRuiz

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 08:58 AM

Would be a great story if he comes back for good. He's a beast when he's healthy and dialed in.

#9 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 489 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:17 AM

I think Justin would rather play first than DH and his hitting shows that. May this good hitting continue.

#10 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,016 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

Maybe I'm dwelling on the negatives too much, but Morneau has dreadful splits against lefties. I won't believe he's "back" until he is able to sustain solid ABs against portsiders.

#11 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,743 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 25 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

In his 2006 MVP season he was batting .237 with a .756 OPS on this day in May. If "healthy and dialed in" from here on out, it still could be a great ride.

#12 buckshotmike

buckshotmike

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

If Morneau continues his improvement, will the Twins trade him? How many years does he have left? Is he a long term answer still?

#13 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:51 PM

Miguel Sano will be the 1st baseman in 2015. That leaves one year between the end of Morneau's contract and the beginning of Sano's. Parmelee will probably work out.

#14 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 25 May 2012 - 03:54 PM

Interesting stat ashbury. Boy if he could hear up, the market could be great for him

#15 eveldrive

eveldrive

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 09:10 AM

His value is on the rise now having hit a few homeruns lately. The Twins should trade him if the offers they get provide valuable pitching prospects. Too bad Mauer has a no-trade clause because they need to trade him as well. The Twins after all need to rebuild.

#16 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 26 May 2012 - 04:46 PM

Miguel Sano will be the 1st baseman in 2015. That leaves one year between the end of Morneau's contract and the beginning of Sano's. Parmelee will probably work out.

If Sano were to move to 1st, he's taking an EXTREMELY similar path to another Miguel a few of us have heard about. I hope we get similar results.