Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Trade Candidate: Brian Duensing

brian duensing
  • Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,339 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:12 AM

Baltimore is gonna give up Bundy for Suzuki/Duensing?  You must be high.

That was an inside joke between those of us who used to post at BYTO.Duensing was always added as a sweetner for some pretty ridiculous proposals. 

#22 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,511 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:18 AM

I think he's going to cost $3M+ next year, and at that price, I'm not sure the Twins will keep him.

That's where I'm at.

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

Get a low level guy that the Twins scouts are a little higher on than most. This is the kind of trade at which Terry Ryan usually excels. 

I think the days of Hector Carrasco for Lew Ford have passed, even for Trader Terry.

Although come to think of it, we could probably still get Lew Ford for Duensing, assuming we can convince the Long Island Ducks to give up their hitting coach. :)

#24 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:57 AM

I think he's going to cost $3M+ next year, and at that price, I'm not sure the Twins will keep him. So why not? We have a few left-handed options in rochester that they could sort through in August and September: Kirs Johnson, Sean Gilmartin, Aaron Thompson, Edgar Ibarra. 

Get a low level guy that the Twins scouts are a little higher on than most. This is the kind of trade at which Terry Ryan usually excels. 

The guy has been up and down too.....ERA in the 2's, 3.98 last year, mid 5's the year prior.If we can trade him at peak value and get an upside player....works for me.

#25 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Fan

• Twins Mods
  • 8,587 posts
  • LocationIt's complicated.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

...We have younger guys that appear ready to take on that role and we might as well bring up younger arms with the core group that is coming up.  As beckmt mentioned there is no urgency to trade him. 

In terms of major league performance there is no urgency, but when considering the stewardship of team resources I believe the urgency is high.Duensing could be a prime non-tender candidate this off-season, so if you get nothing for him now, you may get nothing at all.

40-man issues plague this team and whatever is the best non-Rule-5-eligible prospect that can be obtained should be accepted ASAP.

• Willihammer likes this

Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.-- Frank Zappa

#26 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Writers
  • 906 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

The Pirates are looking for a left-handed relief pitcher. Let's make a deal.

https://twitter.com/...173015601840128

#27 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

In terms of major league performance there is no urgency, but when considering the stewardship of team resources I believe the urgency is high.Duensing could be a prime non-tender candidate this off-season, so if you get nothing for him now, you may get nothing at all.

40-man issues plague this team and whatever is the best non-Rule-5-eligible prospect that can be obtained should be accepted ASAP.

Yeah I hear ya. Something is better than nothing.  I think it is just hard for me to comprehend that we would trade a player and likely get a lesser player in return and call that good. I get that the Twins likely would gain flexibility on the roster and some salary relief and they have players ready to step in but its just hard to see it that way.  Also I don't think we will get someone not on the other teams 40 man as they would likely have to DFA someone to add Duensing. If that is the case then what is the point?  It seems like clearing the 40 man for lower level prospects is not as easy as it seems.

#28 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 3,728 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:44 PM

I am guessing the Twins are done trading players to the Pirates, forever.

#29 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Fan

• Twins Mods
  • 8,587 posts
  • LocationIt's complicated.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

It seems like clearing the 40 man for lower level prospects is not as easy as it seems.

That's why I view it as a priority. :)

Politics is the entertainment branch of industry.-- Frank Zappa

#30 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

Maybe we could get Vance Worley for him. (Oops)

There might be a long term strategy there. Twins acquire pitcher X, pitcher X fails. Pitcher X subsequently traded to the Pirates. Pittsburgh fixes pitcher X - Twins reacquire said pitcher.

I'm kidding, of course, but count me in favor of moving Duensing before the deadline, especially if the notion of DFA-ing at season's end is even on the table. Move him for value now, if possible.

#31 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 4,867 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

I am guessing the Twins are done trading players to the Pirates, forever.

I know you are joking -- but I'm not sure I get it (or you are mis-remembering things).  Morneau is the only Twin I can recall who was dealt to the Pirates, and he didn't do anything for them.  Worley was sold.  Liriano signed there as a free agent.

#32 ChrisKnutson

ChrisKnutson

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

The Pirates have two players that could be traded for Brian Duensing (just one would probably be dealt for Duensing) like Jose Tabata and Tony Sanchez. Tabata is definitely starter material and is very underrated in the pirates organization (only seen as a 4th outfielder) also he is only 26. Tony Sanchez is also a good player to have especially next year because we might not have Suzuki and will be left with only option starter and defensively troubled Pinto. Sanchez is also 26 and has fared well in the majors in his short stint with the Pirates at the beginning of the season. One of them could help the Twins this year, next year, and years to come.

#33 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,339 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

The Pirates have two players that could be traded for Brian Duensing (just one would probably be dealt for Duensing) like Jose Tabata and Tony Sanchez. Tabata is definitely starter material and is very underrated in the pirates organization (only seen as a 4th outfielder) also he is only 26. Tony Sanchez is also a good player to have especially next year because we might not have Suzuki and will be left with only option starter and defensively troubled Pinto. Sanchez is also 26 and has fared well in the majors in his short stint with the Pirates at the beginning of the season. One of them could help the Twins this year, next year, and years to come.

Tabata is barely above the mendoza line in Indianapolis.He might be stop gap, but for what it's worth, Alex Pressley outperformed him in the same envioronment

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brian duensing