Yes, the farm system has improved but do you really see that the organization has embraced rebuilding?
It's pretty hard to embrace rebuilding when the following has happened:
1. Byron Buxton - out for 2/3rd season
2. Miguel Sano - out for season
3. Alex Meyer - on an innings limit due to injury last season
4. Eddie Rosario - 50 game drug suspension
5. Aaron Hicks - mostly clueless
How different would this roster look if just one or two of those things didn't happen? Sure, most of the MLB roster has been healthy and the lower minors look fantastic... but that doesn't help a rebuild in the short-term.
Rebuilds happen on the backs of your best prospects which - almost to a man - have suffered a significant setback in the past 12-14 months.
Sure, Trevor May should be on the roster right now. I think most of us agree with that... But Trevor May isn't a center piece. He's a complementary guy at best.