Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Yankees A Possible Landing Spot For Josh Willingham?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

According to MLBDailyDish.com, the New York Yankees are somewhat keen on Twins' outfielder Josh Willingham:

Willingham-to-the-Yankees deal would make plenty of sense. For one, his contract is reasonable; he makes $7 million this season before becoming a free agent this offseason. The Twins are also likely eager to get rid of him given the team's last-place standing in the AL Central and the risk of failing to re-sign him in the offseason.

The Yankees have been buying low on players that can help once elevated out of their current situations. Third baseman Chase Headley, who was floundering in San Diego, was flipped to New York for a low-A pitcher Rafael DePaula, who profiles will in the bullpen, and rookie third baseman (and former Twins farmhand) Yangervis Solarte. Getting Headley out of the spacious Petco and into the tight-fitting Yankee Stadium should do wonders for his numbers. Before that, Brian Cashman and the Yankees nabbed starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy, who was at 3-10 with a 5.01 ERA, from the Arizona Diamondbacks for marginal pitching prospect Vidal Nuno. Since putting on the pinstripes, McCarthy is 209 with a 1.45 ERA and a 17/3 K/BB ratio in 18.2 innings.   

The moral of the story here is that the Yankees are likely to present the Twins will little in return for Willingham. 

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#2 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 9,413 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

I don't think anyone is offering much for Josh at this point, do you? Teams over value prospects and the future over the more certain present every day. Baltimore should be dealing (not for Josh per se) for sure right now. When will they have another shot like this?

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#3 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:09 PM

I don't think anyone is offering much for Josh at this point, do you? Teams over value prospects and the future over the more certain present every day. Baltimore should be dealing (not for Josh per se) for sure right now. When will they have another shot like this?

Any reasonable person should realize that Willingham is not going to bring back much in return at this point. I think point is that the Yankees' pursuit indicates how little they think they can trade for a player who can likely contribute for them. 

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#4 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:14 PM

Hypothetical: would you have accepted Vidal Nuno in return for Willingham?  Or how about Rafael DePaula?

I think I would have taken the latter, for sure.  Any comparables?  Sickels had DePaula C+ preseason, most of the Yankee guys in that range are upper minors (or even MLB) at this point...

#5 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 618 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:26 PM

Any reasonable person should realize that Willingham is not going to bring back much in return at this point. I think point is that the Yankees' pursuit indicates how little they think they can trade for a player who can likely contribute for them. 

You always think a guy you value should be valued just as high if not higher by another team.  Typically it doesn't work that way.  The ideal trade is an equal trade where both teams trade something of surplus for something they don't have.  Trades center around value and desperation.  There are too many players out there with Hammer's skill set and not enough buyers.  No one is desperate to get the Hammer unless the price is right. Therefor his value is low.  

Will be interesting to see what TR can do.  Looks like he will be waiting until the deadline to drum up desperation and hopes of larger returns.

#6 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:30 PM

Who replaces Willingham if he is traded?

I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#7 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

What an assortment of players to choose from! Chris Parmelee is the first obvious choice. The Twins could also see Santana out there. The could also see Plouffe out there. They could also bring Hicks back for the spot. They could call up Danny Ortiz in September.

#8 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,894 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

In all of these trades, the Twins should be focusing on young and very young prospects, and not mid-20s AAA players likely for a years-long AAAA role.

• nicksaviking and tobi0040 like this

#9 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,499 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

Pinto comes up and takes a lot of DH at-bats.

#10 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 12:55 PM

Getting something in return is better than 0.Twins should not resign him and we must realize this is a buy low.Get an A prospect that has a chance would be good.That is about all you can expect.

#11 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 3,565 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 28 July 2014 - 01:09 PM

Jim Bowden's idea:

I would then like to see the Yankees turn around and send shortstop prospect Abiatal Avelino to the Twins for Josh Willingham.

http://insider.espn....leastobjectives

Papers...business papers.

#12 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:01 PM

What an assortment of players to choose from! Chris Parmelee is the first obvious choice. The Twins could also see Santana out there. The could also see Plouffe out there. They could also bring Hicks back for the spot. They could call up Danny Ortiz in September.

Pinto comes up and takes a lot of DH at-bats.

Does that mean Colabello is sent down? I'm assuming Joe Mauer comes back at some point this year. I would think LF consists of Parmelee/Fuld and Arcia stays in RF if Willingham is traded.

I couldn't be a player because of bad eyesight, so I decided to be an umpire instead.

#13 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 4,411 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

Abiatel Avelino, 19 y.o. shortstop.  This is his first year of full-season ball, although he missed 2 months with injury.  His early stats suggest some similarities with Danny Santana offensively: decent average, some speed/SB value, less power although perhaps better contact and patience.

Sickels had him C+ on the edge of the Yankees top 20 preseason. Also referenced two other C+ international Yankee farmhands, Thairo Estrada (a year younger) and Avelino's 3B teammate Miguel Andujar (who has more pop).

#14 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 9,413 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:40 PM

got it, misunderstood your point somehow (maybe I shouldn't do work and this........)

I'd be happier with someone not on a 40 man roster. Getting another RP on the 40 man would be a bad allocation of that limited resource, imo.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :) Also, I am NOT trying to convince anyone I am correct, I'm just talking here, not arguing.

#15 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 3,561 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:44 PM

According to MLBDailyDish.com, the New York Yankees are somewhat keen on Twins' outfielder Josh Willingham:

The Yankees have been buying low on players that can help once elevated out of their current situations. Third baseman Chase Headley, who was floundering in San Diego, was flipped to New York for a low-A pitcher Rafael DePaula, who profiles will in the bullpen, and rookie third baseman (and former Twins farmhand) Yangervis Solarte. Getting Headley out of the spacious Petco and into the tight-fitting Yankee Stadium should do wonders for his numbers. Before that, Brian Cashman and the Yankees nabbed starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy, who was at 3-10 with a 5.01 ERA, from the Arizona Diamondbacks for marginal pitching prospect Vidal Nuno. Since putting on the pinstripes, McCarthy is 209 with a 1.45 ERA and a 17/3 K/BB ratio in 18.2 innings.   

The moral of the story here is that the Yankees are likely to present the Twins will little in return for Willingham. 

I also think a lot of these types end up in New York because they are owed a ton of money, most teams aren't willing to take on money for a below average player, even one with upside.

#16 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 1,941 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:50 PM

I also think a lot of these types end up in New York because they are owed a ton of money, most teams aren't willing to take on money for a below average player, even one with upside.

Mmm. In both cited instances, while Headley ($10M) and McCarthy ($9M) were making a good chunk of change, the Yankees were able to get money back from the Padres ($1M) and Dbacks ($2M) in addition to a prorated salary. So the amount assumed towards their payroll is not that large. 

#17 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 5,454 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

Jim Bowden's idea:

I would then like to see the Yankees turn around and send shortstop prospect Abiatal Avelino to the Twins for Josh Willingham.

http://insider.espn....leastobjectives

Sounds good to me.Too bad Bowden's a crazy old coot who spews ideas like this with no basis or inside information, than his geezer logic gets re-broadcasted as if it's a bonifide possibility.ESPN should really put a disclaimer up when they use him.

I'd be fine with this return.Really, I'll take any return that doesn't require a 40-man spot.If a Yangervis Solarte type is the return I tell the Yankees to screw off as I'd rather let Willingham walk at the end of the season and not have to think one second further about dealing with more dead weight on the 40-man.

#18 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:08 PM

Sounds good to me.Too bad Bowden's a crazy old coot who spews ideas like this with no basis or inside information, than his geezer logic gets re-broadcasted as if it's a bonifide possibility.ESPN should really put a disclaimer up when they use him.

I'd be fine with this return.Really, I'll take any return that doesn't require a 40-man spot.If a Yangervis Solarte type is the return I tell the Yankees to screw off as I'd rather let Willingham walk at the end of the season and not have to think one second further about dealing with more dead weight on the 40-man.

Yes, I don't really listen to Bowden, the last time he had a bunch of "trades" for players like Hammer and better and he was offering non-prospects for MLB players.No way does Ryan deal Willingham for filler, and I don't blame him.

#19 Lonestar

Lonestar

• Members
  • 206 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

I like Caleb Smith (LHP) now that he has recovered from his June dead arm.

#20 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:30 PM

In all of these trades, the Twins should be focusing on young and very young prospects, and not mid-20s AAA players likely for a years-long AAAA role.

I am in 100% agreement. I just don't believe it is a realistic expectation.

I don't see why the Yankees would offer that player. They are going to offer someone from the fringe of their 40 that they would need to remove to clear a spot for Willingham.

Why offer more? If the Twins hold out for a better deal, go get a better player like Rios or Byrd.

Do the Twins take the fringe 40 guy or keep Willingham?