Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Promotions That Did Happen

prospectspromotions future twins
  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 stringer bell

stringer bell

Staunch supporter of the worst team in mlb. Who's the fool?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,377 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:03 PM

I am not a total believer in Santana, although his hitting has been encouraging. I think both Escobar and Nunez have shown themselves to be major leaguers. Hicks' bat won't play anywhere but center field. As soon as next year, there won't be a vacancy there. I think Pinto can become a solid regular catcher, but he needs to catch, so Suzuki should be traded.

#22 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 2,400 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

Taking my shot:

Johnson and Pino are DFA, though both could be back in milb deals. They simply don't have enough to compete with what we have coming up in the rotation, and might face just as stiff of competition for pen spots.

Darnell has just enough stuff and velocity to stick as a 4-5 starter. Ultimately, he's a 3rd LH reliever next season, possible replacement for Duensing in the future.

Escobar and Nunez are nice bench players. Escobar the better glove, Nunez the better bat. Both offer some position flexibility, some pop, and some speed. I like them on the bench, at least for the next couple of years.

Santana is a real mystery man. I doubt he's the all-star player he's shown thus far this season. What? All star material? Doc...you're an idiot! And this may be true! But really, if he could hit the way he's hit, even close to it, long term and actually play a solid daily SS, that's what you'd have. The realist/pessimist in me wants to spout about regression, sample size, etc. But the thing is, the kid has real talent. And if you don't think he was rushed, and put in to an awkward, tough position of not only being rushed, but having to spend the majority of his games playing an almost foreign positions, then you simply aren't paying attention. And yet, the kid has worked hard, improved, hung around, hit, battled impressively at the plate, and been a real spark plug. All while being rushed and being bounced around between CF and SS. I am NOT predicting future All Star status, but you just HAVE to be impressed with what he's shown thus far.

Fuld might be back on a friendly contract. But I could also see him easily replaced if the Twins prove to be even mildly aggressive in FA next year.

Colabello remains a great and favorite story. DFA or not, bet he's back next year. He's worked too hard, already had a taste of success, that I bet he's back. Still has a shot for a year or two as a role player.

Tonkin is back up in September if not before. Hopefully he sticks for good this time. The potential is there.

Polanco is a stud waiting to happen. Just be patient and don't get obsessed with milb error totals.

Hicks has waaaaaay too much talent and potential to dump. How much is head case and how much is being rushed we may never know. But you just don't cut someone like that at this point.

I'm higher on Pinto and Herrmann than many. Coming up through the minors, both got at least solid marks defensively, and showed solid bats. Pinto more power, Herrmann more contact and line drive power. I thought Pinto was solid to close out last season, and still has a future. I think Herrmann can still be a solid reserve given a solid role. No question we have some very solid backstop prospects down in A ball and below.

Without injury and suspension, the whole "promotion and building through youth" factor might have looked very different this season. Meyer and May, very first seasons in AAA to remind, WILL be up. Might have been up sooner if not for a couple setbacks. You just have to believe Sano, Buxton and Rosario would at least be Septembef call ups if not more had things worked out differently.

This team, I feel, absolutely needs to make some moves in FA before next season if they want to be competitive, but the youngsters that have seen time, will see time yet, and should be ready at some point next seasons, (Polanco, Vargas, maybe Walker to name a few), has us on the right track I think.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#23 Spikecurveball

Spikecurveball

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • LocationRice Lake

Posted 28 July 2014 - 09:41 PM

Gardee dfa
Ryan dfa
Mauer designated hitter unless we can dump him somehow
Molitor manager
Kick the 4a fillers down the road.

#24 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

Gardee dfa
Ryan dfa
Mauer designated hitter unless we can dump him somehow
Molitor manager
Kick the 4a fillers down the road.

That was not positivity.... Just saying!

#25 TwinsCD

TwinsCD

• Members
  • 307 posts
  • LocationOrlando

Posted 28 July 2014 - 11:06 PM

Pino
Johnson
Darnell
Fuld
Nunez
Arcia
Hicks
Santana
Escobar
Hermann
Tonkin
Pinto
Florimon
Colabello
Polanco
Pressly

I'll take my shot with what I've seen from some of these guys (I don't follow as closely the prospects in the minors):

Pino -- decent stuff but seems to lose it a bit once he gets past 4 or 5 innings.  Sounds like a future reliever to me.

Johnson -- Hasn't impressed me at all so far.  But if we're desperate for a bullpen slot, he might be able to fill it.

Darnell -- Incomplete in my eyes.  Took one for the team in his spot start the other day.  Need to see more of him.

Fuld -- I think there's a place for someone of his caliber somewhere on the roster.  Good speed and range in the outfield.  A threat when on base.  Thought he was a pretty shrewd pickup back in April.

Nunez -- I like him.  Decent glove, can be a solid leadoff guy

Hicks -- W. T. F?  Leave him in the minors until he truly tears it up down there and then give him one more shot at the major league level.  Really nice glove but he's almost an automatic out when he comes to the plate.

Arcia -- hopefully a cornerstone in the lineup for years to come.  As I said in another thread -- just needs to learn some more plate discipline.

Santana -- Gotta stay healthy.  When he went down at the beginning of June, the lineup started to suffer.  Has a way of getting on base and really good speed.

Escobar -- Not sure there's room for 3 or 4 guys like him on the roster.  Needs to do more to stand out in a good way.

Herrmann -- bye bye.  

Tonkin -- Don't know anything about him.

Pinto -- Would prefer that he was up instead of Fryer right now.  Surely, he could do better than some of the other bats we have on a semi-regular basis.

Florimon -- Anyone who has a below .100 batting average and isn't a pitcher has no business being in the major leagues.

Colabello -- Don't see the disdain for him that others do.  I think he's a good bat to have on the bench when you need a blast.  I don't think his April run was an accident.  Just needs to continue to have the same approach at the plate that he did then.

Polanco -- Don't know anything about him.

Pressly -- I was lukewarm towards him when he was up last year.  Be interesting to see how much he's improved once he comes up again.

#26 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 943 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:35 AM

Crap, Fryer wasn't on my list... I guess he's that forgettable to me. Prediction: next year 98% of Minnnesotans won't even know he was ever a Twin

#27 Thrylos

Thrylos

Total System Failure

• Members
  • 6,942 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

Escobar -- Not sure there's room for 3 or 4 guys like him on the roster.  Needs to do more to stand out in a good way.

Don't look now, but Escobar has the second highest batting average in the team, his OPS+ is close to league average 97 and higher than that of Mauer, Arcia, Morales, Colabello, Nunez (to name a few.)Compare his slash line (.272/.315/.396) to Dozier's (.230/.325/.418) and you will see a decent complement of middle infielders (one hits HRs, the other can put the ball in play with a man on third)and at 25 he is the second younger regular after Arcia.Plus he is playing a solid SS by any measure (including eyeballs.)

Not sure what there is not to like about Escobar at this point...

• jorgenswest and stringer bell like this
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#28 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,604 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:55 AM

Hicks is soon gone and will be quickly forgotten.

Parmalee could be a big stick for us.As a Lefty he hits lefty pitchers well.

Why would Hicks be soon gone?  The kid isn't even 25 yet.  There is absolutely no reason to sell low or get rid of him anytime soon, he still has a ton of talent.

#29 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,937 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

Is that true, about the options?  Hicks was optioned in 2013 and 2014, so it would appear he only has 1 left (I don't think he qualifies for the 4th option year, as he played in a full-season league in his first full season).

Right... meant this year and next.