Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Today's Ejection

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:24 PM

Does anybody know why the Brewers pitcher who was ejected today threw behind Carroll?

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:52 PM

That is for him to know. I suspect that the Brewers were thinking that the Twins' pitchers were hitting their batters intentionally earlier. All I can think. And as far as whether that was intentional or not, everyone who pitched can tell you that you cannot throw behind a batter who hits the same way you pitch (eg. RHP to RHB) unintentionally, unless it is something that got away and slipped and that would be something that flutters at like 45-50 mph max off someone's hand. So it was intentional and it was a good call. Too bad the manager was not thrown out as well...

Edited by Thrylos, 20 May 2012 - 05:54 PM.

-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:06 PM

Item on the Pioneer Press's page for the Twins indicates it had something to do with Nyjer Morgan.

Carroll couldn't be sure exactly what happened, though; he said umpire Hunter Wendelstedt cut off his conversation with Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy right after Lucroy said Morgan's name.

Morgan was the last of three HBP by Twins pitchers. So this adds up.

Edited by ashburyjohn, 20 May 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#4 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:21 PM

Pretty impressive that our staff is supposedly throwing at hitters. Must have felt the batters were a little too comfortable (as the score indicates). Keep up the good work, maybe some of that type mentality will rub off on a few more players.

#5 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:18 PM

In the post game show, Laudner said that it was in retaliation for Gray hitting Morgan earlier in the game. Gardenhire said that wasn't the case in his press conference, but the announcers said it sure looked like he hit him on purpose, guessing there was some sort of old bad blood between Gray and Morgan.

#6 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

I can see the retaliation theory, but isn't the timing a little weird? Gray hit Morgan in the 7th. Why not retaliate in the 8th instead of waiting to throw at Carroll in the 9th? The whole culture of throwing at guys is just dumb. Even if you put aside the unnecessary risk of injury, it hurts your team. That game was already way out of hand. The Brewers bullpen had been taxed recently. They should have been focused on getting off the field as quickly as possible in the 9th. Instead, they prolonged the game and had to burn through another pitcher.

#7 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

I can see the retaliation theory, but isn't the timing a little weird?

Gray hit Morgan in the 7th. Why not retaliate in the 8th instead of waiting to throw at Carroll in the 9th?

The whole culture of throwing at guys is just dumb. Even if you put aside the unnecessary risk of injury, it hurts your team. That game was already way out of hand. The Brewers bullpen had been taxed recently. They should have been focused on getting off the field as quickly as possible in the 9th.

Instead, they prolonged the game and had to burn through another pitcher.

I agree, and I doubt Gray will pull a Hamels and admit he was throwing at Morgan anyway, so we'll probably never know. At that point I wasn't paying real close attention to the game. Had the umpires warned the benches before Carroll got thrown at? Anyway, I guess if you're going to throw at someone, doing it in the 9th inning of blowout is about as good of time as any, better than in a close game, but stupid nonetheless.