Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Ben Revere

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

If nothing else, he's really made a nice push to stay up here since his call up.

#2 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

With 13 position players there is a way to do this. Mastro and Komatsu are not top 30-40 (or more) prospects, so they can stay and fill-in in marginal roles (and probably do well in those roles--Mastro, albeit in a worthless game, just made a great play in LF). Hell that was, one would have thought, the reason for Mastro's signing in the first place. Anyway, if Morneau can play first a bit more, they can DH Willingham twice a week, spell Span one game one week, Willingham the next, and let Ben get one start in RF as well once a week. That way he starts 4 games and Span, Willingham, and others get rested. The same applies for Plouffe--play about 4 games a week. I think it is go time for these two. I am sure Revere will be fine, and Plouffe's four homers and plenty of walks are helpful for his cause. Plouffe and Mastroianni also provide emergency backups in the middle infield. If Plouffe fails, then Valencia can return. If he doesn't, then they have to figure out which one brings the most value in a trade (I know it won't be much, but perhaps a more or less major league ready Plouffe or Valencia garners an A ball pitcher with some good velocity--something). I am pretty pleased with the current makeup of the Twins roster in terms of position players (ride the Butera train until it "Mendozas"). The pitching staff, on the other hand, is in need of further changes. DeVries and Walters are likely not really good replacements, but worth it for now. I think Bromberg might be working his way for a shot this year, which is damn good for the poor guy.

#3 travistwinstalk

travistwinstalk

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:52 PM

Shane I thought you said Revere belongs in AAA they don't need a singles hitter?

#4 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:04 PM

1 xbp hit in 92 AAA Abs.....4 in 3 games this weekend. Crazy. If he can hit with ANY modicum of power/xbh....he can be useful.

#5 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 03:17 PM

Shane I thought you said Revere belongs in AAA they don't need a singles hitter?

Mustn't put words in my mouth. Yes, he did belong there given the Willingham situation at the time. But I was pretty clear in that most recent discussion that I preferred the Twins starting with Revere in LF and Willingham in RF.

You made the claim that he is a "great hitter" which is what I objected to. I quickly pointed out that I like him overall, but I don't call him a great hitter currently.

I mean you cannot honestly look at those minor league stats or his major league stats prior to this call-up and NOT call him a singles hitter, which means NOT a great hitter.

But I am very glad that he is driving the ball to the right spots so far in this call-up. I want him to keep it going, meaning that he needs an extended opportunity to do so, clearly.

#6 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:31 PM

1 xbp hit in 92 AAA Abs.....4 in 3 games this weekend. Crazy.
If he can hit with ANY modicum of power/xbh....he can be useful.

If he can just get on base he needs to be in the lineup... With his speed he doesnt need to be hitting xb hits, (if he does its just a bonus)

#7 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Today's Fred Rogers Mean Mean Pride

• Members
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:22 PM

I've seen this battle before in the last few days. Shane is right. Revere is not a great hitter but can also bring an element of excitement to the offensive side of things with his speed and tireless energy. Revere will not play LF unless Willingham is DH, on the bench, or traded. That's not my decision... that is seemingly the Twins Decision. Komatsu and Mastro...blah, blah, blah. They are for the most part retreads and because this is a mess of a season, I would start Revere in RF over the aforementioned players. Who cares if singles are stretched into doubles and runners score easily on a a single to the OF from 2B. This is the same argument I am using for the Twins to start Plouffe at 3B everyday. Why not? What is the difference? If Revere and Plouffe are answers to the questions of the rebuilding process let's find it out now in the midst of a 90+ loss season instead of trying to figure that out next year. This is the year to make some decisions on players like Revere and Plouffe.

#8 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:42 PM

[quote name='Bark's Lounge;18715]I've seen this battle before in the last few days. Shane is right. Revere is not a great hitter but can also bring an element of excitement to the offensive side of things with his speed and tireless energy. Revere will not play LF unless Willingham is DH' date=' on the bench, or traded. That's not my decision... that is seemingly the Twins Decision. Komatsu and Mastro...blah, blah, blah. They are for the most part retreads and because this is a mess of a season, I would start Revere in RF over the aforementioned players. Who cares if singles are stretched into doubles and runners score easily on a a single to the OF from 2B. This is the same argument I am using for the Twins to start Plouffe at 3B everyday. Why not? What is the difference? If Revere and Plouffe are answers to the questions of the rebuilding process let's find it out now in the midst of a 90+ loss season instead of trying to figure that out next year. This is the year to make some decisions on players like Revere and Plouffe.[/QUOTE']

With my scenario, Revere is only starting in RF once a week, anyway. With this, there will be almost no reason to not have him appear in basically every game. That isn't the same for Plouffe, maybe, but he does indeed need more time to play. On this, I find a strange inconsistency by Aaron Gleeman who seemingly made fun of the idea that some people want Plouffe to play more given his production through 60 PA or whatever it was. Yet, he (correctly) also mocks the ridiculous notion that you can judge a player in that number of plate appearances.

#9 SEC

SEC

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

I still wish the Twins would tell Willingham too bad, you're playing RF when they're playing at Target Field. Having Revere in LF would make so much sense.

#10 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:09 PM

I say let Plouffe play regularly in right, move Willingham to DH and start Revere in left. To me, that's the smartest way they can proceed with the personnel they have. Might as well get good long looks at Plouffe and Revere this year.

#11 CDog

CDog

• Members
  • 856 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:36 PM

I say let Plouffe play regularly in right, move Willingham to DH and start Revere in left.

To me, that's the smartest way they can proceed with the personnel they have. Might as well get good long looks at Plouffe and Revere this year.

Except I'm still not sure (or haven't heard/read) that Morneau's past the point where he/they want him at 1B full time, and the attempt to keep Mauer a little fresher both keep DH a little bit too full to have the Hammer there full time, no?

#12 silverslugger

silverslugger

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

Nick, Does your scenario mean you want Valencia back up and playing 3b again full-time? Or are you going to go with Carroll?

#13 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,068 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

Except I'm still not sure (or haven't heard/read) that Morneau's past the point where he/they want him at 1B full time, and the attempt to keep Mauer a little fresher both keep DH a little bit too full to have the Hammer there full time, no?

I'd probably have Mauer catching only around half the games, alternating at 1B/DH with Morneau the rest of the time. So then Willingham splits between DH/LF, while Revere starts like 2-3 days a week in left and maybe occasionally starts in RF against a tough righty.

Is there any downside to working Mauer out at 3B at this point? They have nobody who can play there and in a lost season you can stomach the growing pains.

#14 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

Yeah, I think they need a Morneau, Willingham, Mauer, Doumit mix at DH. I wrote it all out and won't bore people with it by posting the lineups, but DHing Willingham twice a week, resting Willingham and Span once every other week, and giving one start in RF a week to Revere, gives him ample time. Plouffe plays maybe half and half at 3B/RF at the moment (Valencia situation pending). Mauer catches every other game, with Doumit catching the rest except for a Butera appearance once in awhile (less than every Pavano start!). Carroll and Casilla each have 1 or 2 days off a week, and Mastroianni and Komatsu each get one start in RF.

#15 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:35 PM

Is there any downside to working Mauer out at 3B at this point? They have nobody who can play there and in a lost season you can stomach the growing pains.

Not sure that the fans can stomach Mauer learning a position in the Majors. That is something they should do over the winter and during Spring Training. There are enough boos already and the expectations for Mauer are different that for others. Not the same as having someone else learn another position in the majors.

About Revere: SSS or not, a. Revere's numbers are better than Span's at this point, and b. Span's numbers are dead in the middle as far as AL leadoff hitters go, plus his defense the last couple of weeks has been spotty. So the Twins will benefit from trading Span sooner than later (before the perception that he is such a great leadoff hitter and great with the glove wears off) and give Revere at least the rest of the season out there to show what he can do. And before that, if Revere and Span are both on the field, Revere should be at CF and Span at RF. He just can get to more balls than Span.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#16 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 03:46 PM

Not sure that the fans can stomach Mauer learning a position in the Majors. That is something they should do over the winter and during Spring Training. There are enough boos already and the expectations for Mauer are different that for others. Not the same as having someone else learn another position in the majors.

About Revere: SSS or not, a. Revere's numbers are better than Span's at this point, and b. Span's numbers are dead in the middle as far as AL leadoff hitters go, plus his defense the last couple of weeks has been spotty. So the Twins will benefit from trading Span sooner than later (before the perception that he is such a great leadoff hitter and great with the glove wears off) and give Revere at least the rest of the season out there to show what he can do. And before that, if Revere and Span are both on the field, Revere should be at CF and Span at RF. He just can get to more balls than Span.

Yes about the Mauer stuff. Although he would probably be ok at the position if thrown there after a few weeks of practice, imagine the idiotic booing for every error . . . oh my god.

You can't just say SSS or not! That's pretty relevant. Anyway, where are you getting the "middle of leadoff hitter" data? I am confused about how to find that on fangraphs, or are you getting that elsewhere?