Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

The Store

Photo

Jason Marquis

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:19 PM

He's gotta go now. He stinks, it looks like he is throwing BP to all hitters. There has to be better options than putting him out there. Duensing or Swarzak should replace him in the rotation and call up Lester Oliveros or Deolis Guerrato fill in the bullpen.

#2 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:24 PM

I'd keep Duensing and Swarzak in the bullpen... DFA Marquis... add Cole DeVries to the 40 man roster and call him up to start.

#3 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:30 PM

Can't imagine the Twins keep Marquis after this start.

#4 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:36 PM

Why not send him to Rochester in the hope that he can get better?

#5 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:37 PM

I'd keep Duensing and Swarzak in the bullpen... DFA Marquis... add Cole DeVries to the 40 man roster and call him up to start.

This.....dont mess with the pen

#6 Dilligaf69

Dilligaf69

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

Well at least this makes the decision a no brainer as if it was'nt before now. I gave him a pass the first couple starts...missing most of ST, his daughters accident but this is embarrassing. It's quite obvious he's finished as a starter, at least for us. I'm all for DeVries now if that's what it takes although Swarzak is an option as well.

#7 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

I was hoping the DFA announcement would be made when they came back from commercial after the pitching change in the bottom of the 2nd.

#8 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

I was hoping the DFA announcement would be made when they came back from commercial after the pitching change in the bottom of the 2nd.

That would have been good.

#9 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Walter/Diamond/Pavano could all go on regular rest for the CHI series if MN just skips Blackburn's turn with the offday MON (Dick/Bert talking like they wont). I then could see them call DeVries up for Fri's game at home vs DET. Swarzak or Liriano could make one spot start on SAT with Diamond on SUN.....This would get the rotation back to Walters/Pavano/DeVries to go MON-Wed vs CLE with an off day THUR. This would give them a chance to get Hendriks 2 more starts in AAA & then step back into that spot in rotation on that SAT (he would start next WED/MON in AAA). Utilize your off days.

#10 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 5,102 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:58 PM

Walter/Diamond/Pavano could all go on regular rest for the CHI series if MN just skips Blackburn's turn with the offday MON (Dick/Bert talking like they wont).
I then could see them call DeVries up for Fri's game at home vs DET. Swarzak or Liriano could make one spot start on SAT with Diamond on SUN.....This would get the rotation back to Walters/Pavano/DeVries to go MON-Wed vs CLE with an off day THUR.
This would give them a chance to get Hendriks 2 more starts in AAA & then step back into that spot in rotation on that SAT (he would start next WED/MON in AAA).
Utilize your off days.

I think that Gardenhire uses the off days to eat more pizza.

#11 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,225 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 01:59 PM

Why not send him to Rochester in the hope that he can get better?

That ^^^^

He has an option left (remember he started the season in New Britain). Being a 5+ year pitcher he would have to accept optioning and I am not sure whether the fact that he accepted optioning earlier in the season has anything to do with now. Plus he will bring local star quality for the ever-complaining natives there.... /sarcasm

The bottom like is that the interim GM made a $3 million mistake. Would be interesting to see whether Terry Ryan admits that he is wrong.

About who should replace him? I think that it is about time that the Twins see what Cole DeVries have. He is the best P in Rochester (other than Hendriks) right now.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,709 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:06 PM

The bottom like is that the interim GM made a $3 million mistake. Would be interesting to see whether Terry Ryan admits that he is wrong.

What GM has a 100% success rate? Willingham, Carroll, Doumit, Blanton, Grey were solid pick ups. Turpin (Slowey trade) looks good at AA.

#13 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 605 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:22 PM

That ^^^^

He has an option left (remember he started the season in New Britain). Being a 5+ year pitcher he would have to accept optioning and I am not sure whether the fact that he accepted optioning earlier in the season has anything to do with now. Plus he will bring local star quality for the ever-complaining natives there.... /sarcasm

About who should replace him? I think that it is about time that the Twins see what Cole DeVries have. He is the best P in Rochester (other than Hendriks) right now.

This cannot be right! Terry Ryan was a genious... a long time ago

#14 stringer bell

stringer bell

No Speed, Warning Track Power

• Twins News Team
  • 3,669 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:24 PM

I don't see any upside to Marquis staying with the team, much less the rotation. It is batting practice, he doesn't throw enough strikes to get hitters to chase and he can't make 'em swing and miss. I also don't want to see the bullpen messed with too much, it seems that the Twins have lots of bullpen options and the starting options are not at all attractive. Moving either Duensing or Swarzak out of the 'pen to the rotation would make sense.

#15 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 02:25 PM

Yes, Rochester is the best place for him now. I just get it in my head that when someone is this terrible they need to be sent packing entirely. I mean a waste of money either way, right? But, yes. DeVries is next.

#16 mikeee

mikeee

• Members
  • 784 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:02 PM

DFA Marquis and make Butera a pitcher...

#17 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Moderators
  • 47 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

Now that Butera has mastered the art of pitching and catching, maybe he's bored and would like to take a crack at GMing in Ryan's place.

#18 YourHouseIsMyHouse

YourHouseIsMyHouse

• Members
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 04:53 PM

His showing today was pathetic to say the least. Nearly every pitch I saw was a hanging breaking ball or a mediocre fastball down main street. Then the command problems came and I just about lost it. I don't expect much from Marquis (I didn't expect a win either), but that was honestly the worst I have ever seen a pitcher perform. Ever. Cut him loose and move on. He's done enough damage to the Twins in 6 weeks to ever play for them again. He's washed up and never really was more than a #5 pitcher in his career. Now that he's bottomed out even more and is 33, I can't see any time with the Red Wings helping him anyway.

#19 Yoshii

Yoshii

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

Obv. he should be DFA, only a matter of hours now. No Rochester.

#20 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 06:49 PM

Sending him to Rochester makes no sense for a 35-36 year old. Marquis has had too solid of a career for too long to do that to him. DFA is the only way. Hendriks is the Red Wings best starter, but I think he should get more than 3-4 starts down there. It's all about what's best long term, and that's Hendriks being used/moved wisely. It's also about seeing what you have in the likes of DeVries/Walters (and Slama, etc.).

#21 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:15 PM

That ^^^^

There's not a massive enough mistake involved in a one-year $3M deal that's worth getting worried about whether he admits to it, IMO. It's compounded by a lack of depth and the entire rest of the original starters being injured or terrible, as well as the fact that it was the one lone addition, but in and of itself just not a big deal.

#22 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:28 PM

There's not a massive enough mistake involved in a one-year $3M deal that's worth getting worried about whether he admits to it, IMO. It's compounded by a lack of depth and the entire rest of the original starters being injured or terrible, as well as the fact that it was the one lone addition, but in and of itself just not a big deal.

This is the real issue. He over rated the current starters and depth, then compounded the problem by bringing in a guy who is lousy. It's interesting that we see these old guys with questionable stats/stuff come here, get blown up even more than before and then pop up again elsewhere with decent results for short periods. Have we ever had any sustained performance from one of these old horses coming off a bad season? Pavano doesn't count, he was pitching well before he got here. I don't remember one, so why do we keep wasting millions on them? Even 3 million is a lot when you are cutting payroll.

#23 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

I don't disagree with this, though I don't think 3M is much for a starter. While I agree that most could see the staff was in trouble, I don't think anyone really thought they would be this bad, nor that absolutely everything that could have gone wrong with them would. Even if Ryan would have assumed the worst, not sure what he could have done other than sign someone else for the fifth spot. The four other spots were locked in and the players in those spots had little to no trade value. It's not likely they could have signed someone to sit in Rochester who would have wanted to or been a decent upgrade. Though, it is a reason I was disappointed they dropped Doyle, for depth purposes.

#24 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

Duensing has been great in relief, I would leave him there. Unfortunately, I think Marquis needs to go. I'd love to see DeVries, but Manship is going for Rochester tomorrow. If the youth movement is on, I'd like to see Slama and Guerra and cut ties with Gray for sure, and eventually Burton, although I don't believe he deserves to go yet.

#25 skraft33

skraft33

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

I don't see there being any way for the Twins to rationalize giving Marquis another start.

#26 striker_86

striker_86

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

how was this guy ever good enough to be worth a 2 year 15 million contract with Washington a few years ago?. Please, someone explain.....

#27 skraft33

skraft33

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

how was this guy ever good enough to be worth a 2 year 15 million contract with Washington a few years ago?. Please, someone explain.....

15 wins can really make teams go wild. He also threw 216 innings the previous year with COL, which is good, but had a 4.8 K/9 as well, which is baaaaaaaad.

#28 SirLoin

SirLoin

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:05 PM

The timing of DFA'ing Marquis and bringing up DeVries works pretty well, considering DeVries started yesterday. And while we're at it, can we end the Jeff Gray experiment already? Butera looks like a more effective relief pitcher for God's sake. As long as we're in the business of seeing what we have in players at AAA, isn't it about time we see what we have in Slama?

#29 gil4

gil4

• Members
  • 597 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

Now that Butera has mastered the art of pitching and catching, maybe he's bored and would like to take a crack at GMing in Ryan's place.

Maybe he should try NFL QB. Even Brady can't throw and catch - ask Gisele.

#30 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,037 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:46 PM

Ok, well, I guess DFA is what I meant by Rochester.