Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Mixed feelings when the Twins win?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:10 AM

Last season and this season I have consoled myself during losing games with the prospect of good draft picks. And when the Twins win, I feel a pang of concern that they might "blow" getting the #1 pick next year. All of the recent losing has changed the way that I feel about wins and losses. Am I alone on this, or are others experiencing similar feelings?

#2 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

I don't know about anyone else but I hate losing. Period.

#3 Land Of 10,000 Beasts

Land Of 10,000 Beasts

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 03:32 AM

I don't know about anyone else but I hate losing. Period.

Yeah same here. Screw draft picks, I don't want to be the laughing stocks of baseball.

#4 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 05:49 AM

Every day the Twins win is a good day!

#5 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:32 AM

You can't view winning it as "blowing it". That's the Timberwolves mentality, and it developed into a culture of losing that has festered in the organization for years. It's not where you pick, it's how well you pick.

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,733 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 19 May 2012 - 06:54 AM

During the game I find myself totally rooting for them to win .... but I understand the mixed feelings. I cannot abide another summer like last one where they found themselves "encouraged enough" not to do anything before the trade deadline. My biggest fear is that they will improve enough to simply be mediocre (instead of horrible) -- and that it will doom them to more mediocrity.

#7 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,078 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 07:27 AM

No mixed feelings here. I despise the mentality of "losing in order to get better draft picks" . . . . and that mentality is folly anyway when talking about baseball.

#8 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:16 AM

baseball is different than other sports in that regard...tho I also keep an eye on that worst record for the #1 pick as MN needs to hit 100% the next 2 yrs on the draft to rebound.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,450 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

I'm always good with wins since all teams will win 60 games. Also, if you're in the top 3-5 picks, it's all about the same since the draft is a little more of a crap shoot, especially compared to other sports.

#10 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:25 AM

I'd love it if these Twins suddenly turned into the 2006 Twins and went 70-35 or so. I don't expect it but I'm rooting for it!

#11 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,388 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 19 May 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'd love it if these Twins suddenly turned into the 2006 Twins and went 70-35 or so. I don't expect it but I'm rooting for it!

It's a Minnesota Sports tradition... If they pick 6th in the draft... It will be a 5 person Draft. If they draft 3rd... It will be a two person draft. If they get the number #1 Pick... It will be the worst draft class in the 2,000 year history of sports drafts.

WIth that said... Let's get that #1 Pick baby... Some of you may not see that as winning... But it's a win. I'll display the badge proudly.

#12 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:06 AM

Last season and this season I have consoled myself during losing games with the prospect of good draft picks.

And when the Twins win, I feel a pang of concern that they might "blow" getting the #1 pick next year.

All of the recent losing has changed the way that I feel about wins and losses.

Am I alone on this, or are others experiencing similar feelings?

I doubt many Season Ticket Holders would share your view. Rooting for losses after you have spent the Winter writing checks would be crazy.

Edited by Highabove, 19 May 2012 - 10:09 AM.

#13 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

Even though there is little hope of competing, how fun is it right now to see the team string a few wins together with young talent contributing and our boppers delivering. It's too long a season to be wishing for draft picks.

#14 one_eyed_jack

one_eyed_jack

• Members
  • 590 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:19 AM

Draft position is overrated. Sure, you'd rather be picking 1st than 10th, but it's not worth it to tank in order to get there. The draft is largely crapshoot. I recall one NHL executive had a good line that I think is equally applicable to MLB, it's like trying to predict which 6th-grader will make the best doctor.

#15 jareddejong42

jareddejong42

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:20 AM

Last season and this season I have consoled myself during losing games with the prospect of good draft picks.

And when the Twins win, I feel a pang of concern that they might "blow" getting the #1 pick next year.

All of the recent losing has changed the way that I feel about wins and losses.

Am I alone on this, or are others experiencing similar feelings?

Disagree. I maybe will start to feel this way in late September, but baseball is a long season, and players as well as teams can go in and out of hot/cold streaks. It is way to early to think about the draft. On top of that, the baseball draft is much different than any other sport. A number 1 pick does not guarantee anything.

#16 30whales

30whales

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 10:23 AM

I realize this is quite early but is there any big time studs in the 2013 draft?

#17 Mauerzy4Prez

Mauerzy4Prez

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

I doubt many Season Ticket Holders would share your view. Rooting for losses after you have spent the Winter writing checks would be crazy.

I can vouch for that theory... I am a season ticket holder have been since 2006 and absolutely hate watching the Twins lose. To say that at this point in the season one would have mixed feelings about winning more because we end up with worse picks in the draft is ridiculous. We are 39 games into the season and just won three in a row with the big guns coming back into the line up. I can appreciate being hesitant to give them too much credit, but I just enjoy watching the boys hitting the ball around and actually competing. ESPECIALLY with the young guys in the lineup!

GO BULL DOZIER!

#18 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

I could care less when the Twins pick next year. My main concern with winning is that the Twins will remain in the grey area long enough that Terry Ryan gets gun shy as Bill Smith did last year, and won't make the deals that will help this team in the future. If the team gets hot enough that it's clear they can contend great, but the situation they found themselves in last year can't happen again.

#19 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:26 PM

That's what Vikings fans said last year when they beat Washington....sure would be nice for them to have 3 number 1 and 2 number 2s....that said, the MLB is much more of a crapshoot, so I don't really care this year.
Lighten up Francis....

#20 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,215 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 19 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

Just to clarify -- I never root for losses. But I have gotten into the habit of consoling myself during and after losses by thinking of high draft picks. The bad by-product of this is a reduced enjoyment of wins. Fortunately, some of these responses to my original post are helping me get my mind straight.

#21 Jerr

Jerr

• Members
  • 276 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:40 AM

Same here!!!!