Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Free agent signings and other roster moves

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:35 PM

The Twins: Clete Thomas = for whatever reason still at Rochester, posted a .143/172/.286 line with zero walks and 16 strikeouts in 28 PA. Eric Komatsu = still decent pickup, but posting a .227/.333/.227 line in 26 PA. Chris Parmelee = strangely made team out of ST, even though Morneau was on the roster as well--totally out of place after skipping AAA: posting a terrible .185/250/.272 line in 86 PA, striking out 21 times while walking only five times. Trevor Plouffe = playing all over like Cuddyer, but not being able to hit at all. Draws walks, but that is it: .133/.288/.217 in 73 PA. That's 217 plate appearances with .168/.263/.251 (.514 OPS). Once or currently available free agents: Derrek Lee = In Baltimore last year (before a great finish with Pittsburgh), he had a .246/.302/.404 (.706 OPS) line in 359+ PA. Suppose a (doubtful) 10% OPS decline to .635. Brandon Inge = recently signed with Oakland and in 50 PA, he has a .227/.300/.545 (.845) line. His career Isolated Power is .155, but suppose a 25% reduction (doubtful) of that to .116. This means a .643 OPS. Bobby Abreu = signed with the Dodgers recently and has a combined (LAA/LAD) line of .255/.308/.404 (.712 OPS). Some of these conservative estimates converted to more realistic estimates, and the Twins with these three guys would basically have 3 more Ryan Doumits offensively instead of the above nonsense. Komatsu offsets vs. Abreu some given the defensive differences there, but that's about it. Derrek Lee straight up replacing Chris Parmelee . . . Inge and Abreu instead of Plouffe, Thomas, and (to a lesser extent) Komatsu . . . This kind of offensive difference makes the 2-1 losses less likely. Throwing incentive money at these guys and you get all of them for a few million dollars, right? And this would mean not having "Revered" poor Parmelee this year so he could continue progressing at AAA, not signing Thomas and Komatsu, and trading Plouffe for some low-A arm who one could take a chance on. And then, of course, you have Ryan Doumit and 3 others like him to offer as trade chips at the end of July if needed.

#2 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,260 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 14 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

That's 217 plate appearances with .168/.263/.251 (.514 OPS).

Still better than Butera's career line.

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:13 PM

Still better than Butera's career line.

I don't understand the relevance here, especially given that they are not catchers.

#4 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,260 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:28 PM

It's not relevant. I just thought with the recent Butera topic that it would be amusing (in a depressing sort of way).

#5 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:33 PM

I think everyone, including the Twins, should start thinking in terms of what's better for 2013 and beyond, rather than what might result in 1 or 2 more wins in 2012.

There is almost no benefit to giving ABs to the likes of Brandon Inge or Bobby Abreau, other than the possibility of flipping them for a marginal prospect in July.

Plouffe might have a future. Inge doesn't.

#6 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 14 May 2012 - 11:52 PM

I think everyone, including the Twins, should start thinking in terms of what's better for 2013 and beyond, rather than what might result in 1 or 2 more wins in 2012.

There is almost no benefit to giving ABs to the likes of Brandon Inge or Bobby Abreau, other than the possibility of flipping them for a marginal prospect in July.

Plouffe might have a future. Inge doesn't.

I am completely tired of this ridiculous false dichotomy between winning in 2012 and winning in 2013 and beyond.

What's better in 2013 and beyond? Playing Chris Parmelee over his head instead of developing at AAA? Signing players with ZERO trade value like Clete Thomas and Eric Komatsu? Running out Plouffe again and again to show how much he sucks instead of trading him (essentially by now) for something?

How about the trickle-down effect playing jokes at the upper levels has on the minor league system?

The Twins should win more games in 2012 if they can. That will mean that they have some better players. And I guarantee you that the likes of Inge, Abreu, and Lee are going to be worth something as opposed to the nothing that Thomas, Komatsu, and a full-season of Plouffe is going to get. Getting three mid-level prospects is better than nothing if trying to rebuild, right? Meanwhile, maybe you win 5 more games and put more people in the seats, sell more jerseys, etc.

The Twins right now have almost nothing to flip except for their second-best rebuilding piece, Denard Span. Ryan Doumit is the next one, but now John Bonnes is arguing that Doumit should stick around (Mauer-Doumit-Herrmann is going to be clearly better than Mauer-Doumit-Butera, certainly!). The Twins are getting nothing from Thomas and Plouffe, and probably very little from Komatsu (hopefully I am wrong about him).

It seems totally crazy to me to think that even switching out true replacements (or clear improvements) who will likely be coveted due to their track records at the deadline is unacceptable to the "rebuild" crowd who apparently believes that any win improvement in 2012 must mean a detriment in 2013 and beyond. It's a couple of million dollars and you get more wins now and more wins later.

#7 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2012 - 12:21 AM

1. I would be fine with Parmelee staying in the big leagues if he was getting regular ABs. If that's not going to be the case, then yes, he should be at AAA. But let's be honest about Chris Parmelee...we're not talking about a big time prospect here.

2. I think you might be confusing me with someone who is applauding dumpster diving for the starting RFer...but if they're going to dumpster dive, I prefer they dumpster dive for 20-somethings, rather than 30 somethings.

3. I agree there is little to use for trade chips, but adding the likes of Inge and Derek Lee isn't going to change that picture, and in the meantime you're investing ABs in players guaranteed to have no future with the Twins.

4. There's zero reason to dump Plouffe now, when he is at his lowest possible value, and will return nothing. That's one of the Bill Smith skills that has us in the position we're in. He at least had a good season in AAA last year. Let's make sure he's worth nothing before we sell him for nothing. What is there to lose?

5. Winning 65 games instead of 62 isn't going to put people in the seats, and I'm not sure you're even guaranteed that much improvement.

#8 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 02:05 AM

We need some major league players. minor league players belong in the minor leagues! Win now we can sign free agents all winter.