Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Sleeping on Slama

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:34 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...eeping-on-Slama

#2 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,852 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

The Slama equation is perplexing to me. Maybe the Twins organization knows something we do not that is horrifying. Based upon performance - Slama should have been up with the big club a long time ago. I don't get it.

#3 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,439 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

Slama's MLB era is interesting -- 7.71 in his callup in 2010 (4 runs in 4.2 innings) and 0.00 in 2011 (0 runs in 2.1 innings). The failure to give him more of a chance seems inexplicable, yet it's odd that no one else claimed him when they had the chance. Maybe we should put together a PETITION to Terry Ryan. I wonder if anyone in the Twins organization reads this site.

#4 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

Well clearly the "access" media need to question the organization. They have trotted out chumps instead of Slama the past two years+. There is no excuse for this. There is no way that this consistent performance in the minors doesn't translate to the majors. No way.

#5 Ultima Ratio

Ultima Ratio

Super Friend

• Members
  • 1,749 posts
  • LocationAt my computer

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:17 PM

This is a real head scratcher.

#6 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 591 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:32 AM

Alex Burnett has a photo Album of Twins Coaches.
Slama does not.

#7 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:20 AM

No reason not to give him a shot. None.

#8 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 379 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:45 AM

I think Nick's points are all very valid. I don't really understand why they have refused to give him a real shot at the major league level. Burnett seems to have returned to previous form his last few times out, and would seem like a likely guy to replace, but I think the Twins feel Burnett can be a 2 or 3 inning guy, where I don't think Slama is. So, who else would you replace in the pen right now? I don't think there's an obvious spot for him right now, and the Twins bullpen, well not stellar, hasn't really been the Twins biggest issue this year.

#9 prairiejack

prairiejack

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

One of many curious decisions. More and more it seems that players on the Twins major league roster have to fit into certain boxes for their position, and obviously Slama doesn't, no matter what his stats. Same reason Gardenhire will always prefer a shortstop who looks more like Nick Punto than J.J. Hardy. He doesn't know what to do with a player that doesn't fit "the Twins way." See also hard throwing pitcher. The list goes on....

#10 Big Daddy H

Big Daddy H

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:34 AM

If for no other reason, it seems like Slama has given the Twins great value in the minors and deserves at least a fair chance to show his stuff. Especially when the starting staff's ERA is so laughable. I've been waiting to see Slama given an opportunity for 3 years.

#11 Big Daddy H

Big Daddy H

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:39 AM

Maybe the Twins should read this stuff. I think they might learn something., especially their coaches. We can't just exchange players, we have to give the current players a reason to believe there is a new plan that has a good chance of succeeding, like speeding up the pitchers in their time between pitches. It worked great for Jim Kaat!!! If not that, something else.

Edited by Big Daddy H, 11 May 2012 - 09:02 AM.

#12 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,431 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:05 AM

It is mind baffling that Slama is not up with the Twins. He was not even invited to Spring Training while a whole bunch of minor league free agents were invited. Totally crazy. Hard to get into Gardy's and Andy's brains, but I think that something that Gardy said when he was talking about Liriano the other day might shine some light on why these people have not given Slama a chance: He said something to the effect (paraphrasing) that if Liriano goes to the minors he will not improve because MiLB hitters are swing happy and they will swing all the time and he will dominate without having great stuff. I just wonder if that's what they think that Slama is doing. Nuts.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#13 gmarais66

gmarais66

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:09 AM

REALLY!?!? With all the problems plaguing the Twins this season, from poor hitting, terrible starting pitching, unexplainable mental errors, a lack of replacement talent in the upper levels of the minor leagues, you choose to complain about one marginal minor league relief pitcher, who you feel should be on the big league club? The bullpen has actually been one of the few bright spots for the Twins... Who would Slama replace? Would it really make an impact on what's happening with the team? It's like complaining about the brand of bubble gum the Twins are using...

#14 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:14 AM

gmarais66....so every article posted on this site should be about the stuff you list? That would be boring. They've ignored Slama's production for years. This article asks why. It is an interesting discussion. If you don't want to participate in it, why comment on it? there are plenty of other articles talking about what you want to discuss. I've never understand that phenomonan on the internet, complaining about a blog post. If you aren't interested in it, why not read something else and comment on that? I'm genuinely curious about this behavior, not in a mean way, in a curious way.
Lighten up Francis....

#15 cr9617

cr9617

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:26 AM

Apparantely, Slama doesn't quite fit the cute little cookie mold that all Twins players need to fit.

#16 gmarais66

gmarais66

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:57 AM

gmarais66....so every article posted on this site should be about the stuff you list? That would be boring. They've ignored Slama's production for years. This article asks why. It is an interesting discussion. If you don't want to participate in it, why comment on it? there are plenty of other articles talking about what you want to discuss. I've never understand that phenomonan on the internet, complaining about a blog post. If you aren't interested in it, why not read something else and comment on that? I'm genuinely curious about this behavior, not in a mean way, in a curious way.

That's not what I'm saying at all... I'm asking why he's complaining about a marginal minor league pitcher not being called up to the big leauges... He really has no argument for why he should be called up at this point... There's no place for him on the roster and his addition is not going to make a lick of difference to how the team performs... What's the point?

#17 LaBombo

LaBombo

• Members
  • 3,298 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:02 AM

Apparantely, Slama doesn't quite fit the cute little cookie mold that all Twins players need to fit.

He's not hitting enough bats. And at 28, his bat-hitting skills are unlikely to improve any time soon. He'll probably end up missing bats for several years in one of those foolish organizations who believe in pitchers getting hitters out that way.

#18 jimbo92107

jimbo92107

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:41 AM

At this point I see no reason not to give Slama an extended shot at relief pitcher. If the guy's gets hitters out, then who cares how he does it? Even knuckleballers get more chances than Anthony Slama. Call him up, give him a chance, and if he blows it, cut him. At least let the guy try his hand. If he fails, he can go try elsewhere. Saints need pitching... ;-)

#19 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

Who would Slama replace? Would it really make an impact on what's happening with the team?

Making an impact on what's happening is not really my concern. In my view, this season is already basically a lost cause. I'm more interested in identifying players who can help the team in the coming years, and this strikes me as a good opportunity to take an extended look at Slama. If he's bad, what is there to lose?

#20 Todd G

Todd G

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

It's pretty clear they don't want him to foul up our pennant run. :D

#21 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,132 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

gmarais66, just because the bullpen has been good doesn't mean it can't be improved. And Jeff Gray and Anthony Swarzak will implode soon.

#22 Big Daddy H

Big Daddy H

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:32 PM

This isn't just a discussion on a two bit minor league player. It is a discussion on a team philosophy. All the mistakes the players are making are being made by individual players that are trying their best. They have all played a long time and they all should know the basics of the game. For some reason players are afraid to make the plays, they're backing off a bit. Maybe there is too much pressure to perform or get the early hook. Now back to Slama. If the Twins are so unwilling to give him a shot, other players see that. They then become afraid their own performance may being a similar response from the Twins organization. This filters though out the player pool and all of a sudden you have a whole organization of players playing scared. This creates the problems we are seeing now at the major league level. Players who know better are playing in fear instead of for the joy of the game. It creates mistakes that normally would not be made from a confident player. Slama does deserve a chance. Maybe we should go with 4 starting pitchers going 6 inning and the bullpen finishing up the final three. That would make a place for Slama, take a little pressure off the starters since we don't have many good ones and give the pen some good experience for years to come.

#23 Big Daddy H

Big Daddy H

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Three cheers for Anthony Slama!

Edited by Big Daddy H, 11 May 2012 - 12:38 PM.

#24 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

• Members
  • 6,687 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:35 PM

Maybe they should really think outside the box, and have zero starting pitchers. Everyone goes 2-3 innings max, and they mix and match them more, and everyone throws harder and more frequently. I know, it sounds crazy, but crazy, new thinking is what they need right now.
Lighten up Francis....

#25 Yoshii

Yoshii

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:13 PM

I agree with the article, what do we have to lose? And how much of a chance has he really gotten? None. 14 pitchers here we come.

#26 roger

roger

• Members
  • 322 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 02:49 PM

There is one good reason why he isn't up...his lack of control. Don't just look at the walks, look at the counts he is always in. If he walks 4-5 batters per nine innings, that goes up in the big leagues. That means he is constantly in hitters counts, and we all know what happens to a pitcher without blow away stuff that is constantly pitching from behind. Yes, Slama has excellent minor league numbers. But the one area where he is weak is what is keeping him in Rochester.

#27 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,113 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:50 PM

That means he is constantly in hitters counts, and we all know what happens to a pitcher without blow away stuff that is constantly pitching from behind.

Actually, we won't know until we find out. Obviously his penchant for falling behind in the count has born no ill effects in Triple-A.

#28 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,431 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 11 May 2012 - 04:10 PM

There is one good reason why he isn't up...his lack of control. Don't just look at the walks, look at the counts he is always in. If he walks 4-5 batters per nine innings, that goes up in the big leagues. That means he is constantly in hitters counts, and we all know what happens to a pitcher without blow away stuff that is constantly pitching from behind. Yes, Slama has excellent minor league numbers. But the one area where he is weak is what is keeping him in Rochester.

I've heard that kind of excuse from Twins' FO types before. Here is the reality:

Slama's career BB/9 is 3.9 BB/9. With his tendency to strike batters out, this translates to a career 3.14 K/BB.

If that is not good enough for the Twins, that is ok, but when they go out this off-season and sign pitchers with worse control and numbers and keep them in the majors, then there is at least an inconsistent approach that makes someone think that there is something else going on here....

For example:
Marquis: Career: 3.5 BB/9 and 1.50 K/BB
Gray: Career: 3.4 BB/9 and 1.49 K/BB

How are these people better than Slama?
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#29 Andrew Bryz-Gornia

Andrew Bryz-Gornia

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

Then why not bring him up to the majors in a season that is already a lost cause and let the organization find out if he really has the stuff to get hitters out? The Twins have treated him like they already know how he will pitch in the majors.

#30 mlhouse

mlhouse

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:24 PM

I will essentially repeat my other post here. The problem with the Twins organization right now is that they refuse to recognize they are in complete rebuild mode. They wanted to pretend that they could contend, so they signed guys like Jamey Carroll, Jason Marquis, Jeff Gray, and Matt Maloney. The only difference between Anthony Slama and these guys is that they had some major league experience. The top management just seems to be reluctant to give inexperienced and/or unproven players a chance, and even more troubling, they seem to be unwilling to work with players that need some development or refinement. One of my points I have made is that if a player is not ready to contribute to a "divisional championship" team, the coaching staff at the major league level does not seem to have any interest in them. The Twins should have committed themselves to rebuilding from day 1. Joe Benson, Chris Parmalee, Ben Revere, and Brian Dozier should have been in the starting lineup from day 1. It really can't get any worse, and even if you lose, giving a MLB at bat to these guys can pay off in the long run.