Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

MLB park factors

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:31 PM

ESPN current park numbers cite as of today, Target field IS
6th in runs scored
19th in HRs
2nd in hits per
1st in doubles
2nd in triples

Edited by greengoblinrulz, 10 May 2012 - 12:46 PM.

#2 Jeff P

Jeff P

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

Amazing what horrible pitching from the home team will do for a park's offensive statistics! Home runs is the statistic that is most park dependent, I wonder how it ranks adjusting for Twins pitching. Jeff

#3 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

My take is if the visiting team is able to juice the ball here, no reason for the excuse making Twins to use the excuse.

#4 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Contributors
  • 838 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 08:45 PM

I wonder how the Twins would do batting against their own pitching staff?

#5 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

I wonder how the Twins would do batting against their own pitching staff?

That would be an interesting matchup. They would probably still just hit comebackers to the mound though.

#6 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 10:27 PM

Amazing what horrible pitching from the home team will do for a park's offensive statistics!

Home runs is the statistic that is most park dependent, I wonder how it ranks adjusting for Twins pitching.

Jeff

Or the lack of power in the Twins lineup? Both have to be accounted for and comparisons need to be made between how hitters perform there as well as at home (edit: and it appears they do). Willingham, for instance has almost all his HR at Target Field if I remember correctly. Point is, though I'll have to check how ESPN does it's calculations, any park at which the Twins take half the at bats, it's going to be low....

Edited by Alex, 10 May 2012 - 10:46 PM.

#7 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,230 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:30 PM

Having a poor offense hit in a park won't necessarily drive a park factor down because they'll tend to hit poorly everywhere. The relationship between home and away production is the driving force, not the quality of the pitching/hitting. Sample size is definitely a problem, even a full season isn't very good. 30 games? Pretty much useless.

#8 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,060 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:18 AM

Having a poor offense hit in a park won't necessarily drive a park factor down because they'll tend to hit poorly everywhere. The relationship between home and away production is the driving force, not the quality of the pitching/hitting.

Sample size is definitely a problem, even a full season isn't very good. 30 games? Pretty much useless.

Snepp! Hadn't noticed you around here before. Welcome!

#9 CharacterGroove

CharacterGroove

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 06:16 AM

Seems about right. There have been some pretty good hitting teams in the park versus some very marginal pitching.

#10 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

They would probably still just hit comebackers to the mound though.

Otherwise known as Revere-ing.
[FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#000000]"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." [/COLOR][/FONT]

#11 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Amazing what horrible pitching from the home team will do for a park's offensive statistics!

Home runs is the statistic that is most park dependent, I wonder how it ranks adjusting for Twins pitching.

Ha. Very true point (and one that always irks me about "park" factors). They should really only figure in visiting teams, and then compare it against other parks in that league. (There are probably stats that do this).

But while the Twins' pitching has been horrible, so has the Twins' offense, for the most part. So while are pitchers are serving it up for other hitters, our batters are also deflating those numbers because we have Carroll instead of Cano, Valencia instead of Freese, and Mauer instead of Wieters (ouch).

Also, the Twins are no longer a "left handed" team from a power standpoint, and I don't perceive this park being trouble for RH power hitters at all. Willingham certainly isn't struggling with it. And many of those early season numbers are suppressed by the cold, but we've had very good conditions in April and early May so far.

#12 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,230 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 11 May 2012 - 12:34 PM

Snepp! Hadn't noticed you around here before. Welcome!

I've been running in stealth mode (aka, trying to avoid arguments).

:P