Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Welcome to the new Twins Daily!

• Please log in to reply
212 replies to this topic

#21 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,736 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:58 PM

Also the RSS feed for external Twins' blogs is gone.Miss that too.

That will be back. There were some technical difficulties with the feed. I haven't had time to sort it out yet.

#22 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,736 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

BTW, I went from 8,000+ posts to... 50.

But I had a sneaking suspicion that was going to happen. Harrumph.

#23 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 447 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

First observations: The site looks REALLY good on mobile. I usually didn't bother stopping by on my iPad because I never really liked the "feel" of the site before, but this design is much nicer on the portable devices, IMO. 

I like the style, some things will take a bit to get used to - but overall, a very nice upgrade. Kudos to all involved! 

• Sconnie likes this

#24 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,852 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:00 PM

Yeah, me too.Okay ... I don't seem to be able to 'like' a comment ... I've reached my quota of happiness, or some such was the message.And I no longer see the last post and date thing to the right of the thread subject.It was there, but not now.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern
Nevertheless, she persisted. Time’s up.

#25 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:01 PM

Very nice look - left me with a good 1st impression.

#26 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,728 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:06 PM

Game thread tonight? If so where?

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#27 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,485 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:10 PM

I do appreciate they effort. I wonder it there is still things to work out. I chose to put my blog articles here and it would be nice if they remained. Maybe no one else would go back and look, but I look to see how my thoughts may have changed. One thing that distinguishes for me whether it is a forum entry or a bog entry is whether I would go back and look at it. John always talks about writing stuff he would want to read. I looked at the two July blog entries I wrote in July. The first is unreadable due to missing tables. The second is missing with the exception of the comments. Perhaps this isn't the kind of thing you want to read after weeks of hard work and I do appreciate the effort it must take to manage a site.

#28 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

Game thread tonight? If so where?

http://twinsdaily.co...e-726-610pm-ct/

under Minnesota Twins Talk.

Unless you haven't caught up in the forums lately, I do recommend going in and just marking the whole forum as "read".  It'll make it so much easier to stay current from here on.

You've Gotta Have Heart.  All You Really Need Is Heart.

When the Odds Are Saying "You'll Never Win", That's When The Grin Should Start!

#29 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,819 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:35 PM

I'm filing a service time grievance due to my post total going away.

#30 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,852 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:37 PM

Your post total didn't go away.But mine did.Meh.

“May we teach our children that speaking out without the fear of retribution is our culture’s new north star.” ~Laura Dern

#31 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Mathematically inclined primate

• Members
  • 8,165 posts
  • LocationThe Congo Basin

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:43 PM

Have to figure out how the MultiQuote works. I should be able to offend more people in parallel that way. :)

Mathematics knows no races or geographic boundaries;
for mathematics, the cultural world is one country. - David Hilbert

#32 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,736 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 05:49 PM

I looked at the two July blog entries I wrote in July. The first is unreadable due to missing tables. The second is missing with the exception of the comments. Perhaps this isn't the kind of thing you want to read after weeks of hard work and I do appreciate the effort it must take to manage a site.

That BBCode issue is something that reared its head up today. I'm going to look into a fix, not terribly hopeful that one will be found.

But I'm going to look into it for sure.

#33 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 3,485 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:15 PM

That BBCode issue is something that reared its head up today. I'm going to look into a fix, not terribly hopeful that one will be found.

But I'm going to look into it for sure.

That's too bad. A lot of lost content. I think content trumps looks and ease of use, but probably not the revenue.

Doesn't matter for those who want to banter endlessly in the forums though. Perhaps that is where you need to focus and get the most ad revenue.
  • Hosken Bombo Disco likes this

#34 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 19,736 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

That's too bad. A lot of lost content. I think content trumps looks and ease of use, but probably not the revenue.Doesn't matter for those who want to banter endlessly in the forums though. Perhaps that is where you need to focus and get the most ad revenue.

Content is the focus but there's very little permanence in news content. Most content that is older than a few days doesn't get read.

Big transitions like this always have some problems but in the end, they're mostly temporary. We try to retain as much as we can but ultimately, the focus needs to be on the articles that have yet to be written, not those that are two years old. Changing things so that new articles can be better are always going to cause issues with what came before... We just try to break as little as possible.

Honestly, I can say that revenue played virtually no role in this redesign. The change was driven by technical and usability reasons.

#35 steve

steve

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

waynes_world+%282%29.jpg

Can you all just do me one favor Don't take life for granted, because tomorrow isn't promised to any one of us.

#36 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:49 PM

I just had a lot of fun telling Brock exactly what I wanted to see if he could make it happen. Sometimes I asked for things that I didn't even want... just to see if he could make it happen. The R&P page and organizational chart will always be a work-in-progress... but this is going to blow the roof off the old one.

Big thanks to Brock for, well, being awesome.

#37 Carole Keller

Carole Keller

BE BOLD

• Twins Mods
  • 19,852 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

Big thanks to Brock for, well, being awesome.

I tried to 'like' this but I couldn't.:)

#38 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Too Weird to Live. Too Rare to Die.

• Members
  • 4,480 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 26 July 2014 - 08:57 PM

I dig the new look of the site. It's 100% professional and pleasing to the eye.

When you are use to something for awhile it can often be a pain in the rear to deal with changes, but it is good to have to figure out the ins and outs of something new. Change is good.

Great Job Brock and the rest of the team involved in the changes of the TD website.

Major League Baseball is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side.

#39 Brad Swanson

Brad Swanson

Señior Member

• Members
  • 675 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

The new site looks amazing!  Excellent work to everyone who contributed and big thanks to Brock for all the hard work.

One quick question - how do I accumulate "warning points?"  BECAUSE I HAVE TO HAVE THE MOST!!!!!!

"Let's get after it." ~ Someone on the Twins, probably.
Kevin Slowey was Framed!

#40 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,028 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

Looks great.Have lot of navigation work to do when I get time.Great job fellows. Still have problems with IE11 interface, but that might just be IE11.Will see if I have any contacts over that way to help.