Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

what i like about the recent moves

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

With all the demotions and callups going on lately, I've been seeing a lot of upset fans. I was surprised reading so many flaming gardy for demoting Valencia. Personally I like what's happening. This is not for the fact that well get to see some good prospects come up and play, but because for once management is growing a spine. For years I have been saying this team needs to keep their players more accountable for their performance. Gardy has been always soo touchy feely with guys, that I think it hurts struggling players by keeping them complacent. maybe gardy sees that his job is on the line and wants to go out guns ablazing and maybe he can actually change something. Personally I'm not a fan of do or die management, but I have a firm belief if your not performing then you don't get to play, instead you practice you butt off and get your head straight Sorry for bad writing in on my phone

#2 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,545 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

With all the demotions and callups going on lately, I've been seeing a lot of upset fans. I was surprised reading so many flaming gardy for demoting Valencia. Personally I like what's happening. This is not for the fact that well get to see some good prospects come up and play, but because for once management is growing a spine. For years I have been saying this team needs to keep their players more accountable for their performance. Gardy has been always soo touchy feely with guys, that I think it hurts struggling players by keeping them complacent. maybe gardy sees that his job is on the line and wants to go out guns ablazing and maybe he can actually change something. Personally I'm not a fan of do or die management, but I have a firm belief if your not performing then you don't get to play, instead you practice you butt off and get your head straight

Sorry for bad writing in on my phone

Then, as a whole, after a 99 loss season and because this team is not performing as a whole this season, you will not be surprised (or upset) to see Gardy go? Or accountability is just for players?
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#3 TiberTwins

TiberTwins

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:58 AM

Then, as a whole, after a 99 loss season and because this team is not performing as a whole this season, you will not be surprised (or upset) to see Gardy go? Or accountability is just for players?

Stop baiting people Thrylos. We know you want Gardy gone. If things keep going the way they are, he will be gone soon enough.

#4 asmus_ndsu

asmus_ndsu

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:59 AM

by no means am I letting hardy off the hook, I totally agree that production is a reflection of leadership. My point was that people are getting upset over the moves that have been happening and I believe their getting mad for the wrong reasons

#5 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:03 PM

I cannot even handle reading the comments on the strib anymore. Last year was pretty bad this year is terrible. The problem is not Gardy, but lack of starting pitching and lately no offense. Look at Anaheim and how they are struggling, and they have a better lineup and a much better rotation. Gardy and Ryan are doing the right thing with Liriano and Valencia. When Liriano was in the rotation, I felt confident that we would lose every game he started.

#6 nokomismod

nokomismod

• Members
  • 271 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 12:06 PM

Do you think the Angels should fire Mike Scioscia because of the bad start they are having and the off year they had last year? Gardy and Scioscia are both proven decent managers. Sometimes multiple players get in slumps, injuries occur, and proscpects don't live up to our expectations.

#7 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,975 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:35 PM

R

What makes you say Gardy isn't being accountable? There is a difference between being accountable and being responsible. I get the sense Gardy holds himself accountable. who is he pointing fingers at? What does his performance have to do with the team's performance on the field? Do you really believe the manager of a MLB team should still be responsible for teaching his player's how to play? I think they should have that down by now.

The player's are responsible for their performance and should be the 1st one's held accountable. It's far more likely this team plays better with different players than a different manager.

#8 J-Dog Dungan

J-Dog Dungan

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

I agree with both twinsnorth and noko with their points about Gardy and accountability. Gardy has been trying most of this year to get his guys on track, but they just keep struggling. I also like these recent moves, because Valencia has been struggling a lot and Maloney hasn't been doing much to help the team win ballgames. it seems as though what Gardy and Ryan said earlier this year about the "scholarship" program is being entirely acted out right now.

#9 Bark's Lounge

Bark's Lounge

Whatchamacallit is the Best Candy Bar

• Members
  • 1,945 posts
  • LocationKerguelen Island

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:13 PM

With a team this bad, roster moves are unavoidable. Anyway it goes down, I like the Valencia move - I just hope Plouffe is given a patience ladened opportunity at 3B. Carroll and Casilla really bumb me out as potential third basemen - it is too soon after the Nick Punto era. I need a break from that type of hitting third baseman. As far as Komatsu, Mastroianni, and Clete Thomas: Maybe they are usable as back-up OFers on a lackluster team, but it seems that the Twins start these guys day in and day out. If that is the case why is Ben Revere in AAA? I am not even a Ben Revere booster. I think he projects as a 4th OFer who should only play RF in an emergency. You can hide his arm in LF, sometimes in CF, but definitely not RF. The point being is that I WOULD RATHER see Revere start in RF over those other fringe OFer's I mentioned earlier. Revere can bring some excitement with his speed and athleticism and seems like a good dude to have as a teammate - he didn't suck last year as a full time player if my memory is correct, he was serviceable. Liriano to the bullpen makes sense, but I don't expect him to have any significant impact.