Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Darnell promoted

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

According to ESPN ap on my IPad, Darnell has been promoted to pitch Saturday
I was unable to pull up the actual story too link...

#2 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 434 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

http://www.kentucky....tml?sp=/99/268/
Found another story...

#3 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

I can't wait until the Twins have new FO people.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#4 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,379 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

So exciting. I thought everyone said Meyer was next?

#5 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:29 PM

Meyer's turn doesn't line up with our openings, until next May.

#6 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

So exciting. I thought everyone said Meyer was next?

Define "everyone".

But yes, very uninspired. My personal opinion is the unexpected injury to Gibson and rain shortened May start scrambled them a little this weekend and may have changed plans. I expect something different coming out of the day off, but probably shouldn't hold my breath.

#7 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:52 PM

Eventually it reaches a point where you have to ask yourself just what the heck is going on, no?

You'd think they'd bring one of them up just to try to generate some interest from the fanbase, even if they think it's the wrong move.

#8 chopper0080

chopper0080

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:14 PM

It is like the Twins don't realize they are a 90 loss team.
  • Sconnie likes this

#9 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 277 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:24 PM

Your being too optimistic now

#10 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 960 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:53 PM

Reality.

Not saying Darnell isn't behind May and Meyer, but he's actually a prospect, as opposed to Pino or Johnson.

And if you look at the rotation days, it's too early for May and Meyer to pitch Saturday.

Reality.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#11 Danchat

Danchat

• Members
  • 552 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

Y'know, it's alright to have Kris Johnson, Yohan Pino, or Logan Darnell in the back of your starting rotation.

But not all three at the same time. I wasn't frustrated with Gibson's slo-mo progression to the majors last season, but I'm starting to get peeved that May and Meyer haven't reached the majors yet.
  • HitInAPinch likes this

#12 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:09 PM

On the plus side he's kind of a prospect!

:whacky028:

#13 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,392 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It's like they want Minnesotans to collectively turn off their television sets and go outside.

#14 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,993 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

It's like they want Minnesotans to collectively turn off their television sets and go outside.

But apparently not outside to the ballpark.
  • nicksaviking likes this

#15 cmathewson

cmathewson

• Members
  • 2,273 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:38 PM

Eventually it reaches a point where you have to ask yourself just what the heck is going on, no?

You'd think they'd bring one of them up just to try to generate some interest from the fanbase, even if they think it's the wrong move.

I have no clue what's going on. Next up:Gilmartin.
"If you'da been thinkin' you wouldn't 'a thought that.."

#16 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

Meh. I could give a rat about generating fan interest; I care about the longterm development of our longterm prospects. Jerk Darnell around, but I want ovenmitt hands on Meyer. This is (yet another, ugggg) developmental season; let's see what we have in our marginal assets and let's be conservative in our development of the guys we expect to be part of our future.

Meyer dominated his last start, but only for six innings--that doesn't spell longevity in a major league game. Really. If the team is concerned about pitch counts, especially at the per inning bases, are we really surprised that Meyer wasn't called up? Meyer and May are just on different schedules than the rest of the AAA in pitchers, as the Twins are regarding them as longterm assets. The Twins, seemingly, are seeing what they have in Pino, Johnson and now, Darnell, seeing if there's any thing worth holding onto or peddling into value elsewhere. It's frustrating way to run the organization for the fans, but at this point in the season with these results, I'd be using the major league team as an agar dish for fringe talent, too.

#17 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 810 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

Too prospecty.

A little bit in the front office's defence, Darnell is named after me as my name is Logan...so I've got to give them a free pass on this one. The fact that he is left handed is a bonus.

#18 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,870 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:53 PM

Clearly the biggest benefit of this is that in March of next year we can total up all the starts given to Pino, Swarzak, Darnell, Johnson, Correia, etc. so we can justify why next year we're making that .500 push.

(Only, maybe, half kidding)

#19 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,044 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:19 PM

Maybe, but I vote Hamburger, in the wake of the Knoblach Twins/HOF fiasco, you have the local bad-boy-back-to-make-good angle to wipe out that bad karma....add into that a "Make Your Own Mark Hamburger Night"....and the whole promotion seems irresistible.

#20 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:24 PM

Meh. I could give a rat about generating fan interest;

That's what's sorta weird...ultimately, that's the Twins' only long term goal, generating fan interest.

#21 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Rochester

• Members
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:29 PM

...add into that a "Make Your Own Mark Hamburger Night"....and the whole promotion seems irresistible.

There will be no waiting in any lines, that much is sure :)

/snark

#22 PseudoSABR

PseudoSABR

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:19 PM

That's what's sorta weird...ultimately, that's the Twins' only long term goal, generating fan interest.

Your point isn't lost on me. It seems to me the Twins are interested in sustainable fan entertainment, rather than the next prospect side show each season. I think the outcry for prospects mostly comes from a "prove he's not ready for MLB to me" refrain.

Few will come to watch Meyer (or May) pitch (or Vargas or Polanco hit) the rest of the season honestly (this isn't Buxton or Sano knocking at the AAA door); it sure would entertain us uberfans, but I'm not sure if we actually spend enough cash to make early promotions worth more than those prospect's developmental needs. There's smart money on being conservative, if frustrating for those who have little else to spend our time on.

Edited by PseudoSABR, 25 July 2014 - 11:26 PM.

#23 Sconnie

Sconnie

Get off the fussy bus!

• Members
  • 1,469 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 26 July 2014 - 12:09 AM

Trevor?

#24 zchrz

zchrz

• Members
  • 247 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 04:52 AM

I think Meyer's chances of being promoted this year were somewhat slim to begin with and died with his cold streak. He was already on an innings limit and the twins have not been an organization that likes to cut starters teeth in the bullpen. He isn't in full command of his stuff, is working on a new change up, has said innings limit, isn't working deep into games, and above all else is a crown jewel kind of piece to the organization and that is not something they push ahead of schedule.

May's situation on the other hand baffles me, he has a ton of minor league xp, a lesser prospect profile, and has seemingly turned a corner this year. I think he should have probably gotten the call a few times already this year but even before the futures game/ injury issue it did not seem like he was next in line. I don't see how they hold him down much longer now that the season is "officially" lost, the rotation from here on out seems like a much more fluid issue.
"Professionalism - When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S Thompson

#25 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 06:21 AM

Your point isn't lost on me. It seems to me the Twins are interested in sustainable fan entertainment, rather than the next prospect side show each season. I think the outcry for prospects mostly comes from a "prove he's not ready for MLB to me" refrain.

Few will come to watch Meyer (or May) pitch (or Vargas or Polanco hit) the rest of the season honestly (this isn't Buxton or Sano knocking at the AAA door); it sure would entertain us uberfans, but I'm not sure if we actually spend enough cash to make early promotions worth more than those prospect's developmental needs. There's smart money on being conservative, if frustrating for those who have little else to spend our time on.

Are you saying we should get a life?

#26 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 563 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:07 AM

I think Meyer's chances of being promoted this year were somewhat slim to begin with and died with his cold streak. He was already on an innings limit and the twins have not been an organization that likes to cut starters teeth in the bullpen.

The two most dominant SP of the last decade, in Minnesota, have done it.

#27 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,044 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:32 AM

I would suggest that if the Twins are interested in sustainable fan entertainment, the TV ratings and year-over-year falling attendance rates and season ticket sales indicate they aren't meeting that goal.

#28 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:34 AM

I would suggest that if the Twins are interested in sustainable fan entertainment, the TV ratings and year-over-year falling attendance rates and season ticket sales indicate they aren't meeting that goal.

I imagine they are quite aware they aren't meeting their goals.
Papers...business papers.

#29 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,044 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:37 AM

I think Meyer's chances of being promoted this year were somewhat slim to begin with and died with his cold streak. He was already on an innings limit and the twins have not been an organization that likes to cut starters teeth in the bullpen. He isn't in full command of his stuff, is working on a new change up, has said innings limit, isn't working deep into games, and above all else is a crown jewel kind of piece to the organization and that is not something they push ahead of schedule.

May's situation on the other hand baffles me, he has a ton of minor league xp, a lesser prospect profile, and has seemingly turned a corner this year. I think he should have probably gotten the call a few times already this year but even before the futures game/ injury issue it did not seem like he was next in line. I don't see how they hold him down much longer now that the season is "officially" lost, the rotation from here on out seems like a much more fluid issue.

Besides the disagreement I have about what initial role to assume on breaking in a starter prospect (Johan?), I agree with the general thrust of your post. It has really gotten to the point that one might ask, "What are they afraid might happen?" to their two prize acquisition-by-trade, with the implications being the potential PR damage to "the plan" if either of the M & Ms initially falter.

#30 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,044 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 07:39 AM

I imagine they are quite aware they aren't meeting their goals.

And I imagine that their "interest" in sustainable fan entertainment hasn't been nearly enough to meet those goals- it seems pretty clear at this point, on the brink of another 90+ loss season, that changes in thinking and philosophy about the on-field product are past due.