Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Stephen Gonsalves Promoted

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

Stephen Gonsalves is promoted to Class A Cedar Rapids Kernels

#2 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,820 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

Awesome! He certainly seems to deserve it.

#3 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

Is this an indication that Stewart will be shut down for the rest of the season?

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:52 PM

Was there a pitcher promoted from Cedar Rapids that Gonsalves replaced or just Stewart on the DL for the short-term?

#5 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 11,049 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

My gut says Stewart was told to go home or to return to Ft Meyer for rehab. He's near the full workload he should be at and with the shoulder, it's best to play it safe and shut him down.

#6 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:24 PM

The Kernels were playing 1 man short with their roster after Alex Muren was promoted a few days ago and not immediately replaced. Gonsalves and Josue Montanez both have joined the Kernels with Stewart going on the 7-day DL, putting them back up to 25.

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#7 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:29 PM

The Kernels were playing 1 man short with their roster after Alex Muren was promoted a few days ago and not immediately replaced. Gonsalves and Josue Montanez both have joined the Kernels with Stewart going on the 7-day DL, putting them back up to 25.

Thanks, JC. It looks like 2014 hasn't been such a letdown year for prospect gazing afterall. I'm interested in hearing on what Gonsalves is working on this year, based on his falling K-rate numbers at E-Town, obviously not his strikeout pitch.

#8 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:38 PM

Thanks, JC. It looks like 2014 hasn't been such a letdown year for prospect gazing afterall. I'm interested in hearing on what Gonsalves is working on this year, based on his falling K-rate numbers at E-Town, obviously not his strikeout pitch.

Yeah guessing it will be a week before we get to see him. Assuming he'll start a game in Dayton over the weekend. My recollection is that his fastball was his bread and butter, is that correct? Even at low-A it's not easy to rely on your fastball as a strikeout pitch if you can't throw it 100 mph and even Burdi is getting a lot of his Ks on his slider.

It has been interesting to see several pitchers show glimpses of real talent, but not much that shouts "future front of the rotation starter." Makes you anxious to see which, if any, will be capable of taking things up a notch or two next year like Berrios has this season.

Writing about the Minnesota Twins and their minor league organization, with an emphasis on the Cedar Rapids Kernels, at Knuckleballsblog.com since 2010.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,068 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 02:47 PM

The Gonsalves promotion was mentioned in the Minor League report. We also assumed that Stewart would be added to the Disabled List, and this afternoon that became official. I wouldn't jump to conclude that he's done for the season though.

#10 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

I guessed I missed where Stewart had a bum shoulder. Crud.

#11 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 03:05 PM

The Gonsalves promotion was mentioned in the Minor League report. We also assumed that Stewart would be added to the Disabled List, and this afternoon that became official. I wouldn't jump to conclude that he's done for the season though.

Agree it's premature to assume he'll be shut down. Text I got from Arteaga yesterday said "we'll continue to monitor his progress in the next few days." Obviously had to do something to get SP help without him though. They had been going with a 5 man rotation (rather than their usual 6) since Mildren was promoted a few weeks ago and there really weren't any bullpen arms stretched out to go 4-5 innings.

#12 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Twins Win!!

• Twins Mods
  • 10,445 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:05 PM

Great news, if Gonsalves continues to progress and reaches his ceiling he'd represent an absolute steal for the Twins.

#13 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:46 PM

I believe Gonsalves is one of the top 2 or 3 most intriguing prospects in the entire Twins milb system.

No, he's not at the prospect level of Berrios or Stewart...YET anyway.

So why? His senior season was cut short due to controversy. A controversy that was later revealed to be disciple related due to covering for mistakes made by teammates. Before this, some say almost despite it, the young LH was rumored to be a potential 1st rounder who should/could have been selected in the top 40-50 or so. He's tall and angular and throws hard with some potentially nasty stuff. And his performance last year, and potential, seems to indicate the Twins got lucky, made a smart move, and could have a real potential steal on their hands. (FWIW, Thorpe is also near the top of my list).

If you look over minor league rosters in the system, examine results in the Twins system this year and last, the Twins actually have a fairly large number of LHP's who are and have shown some good things. There's a couple who could end up being solid bullpen options. And a couple who might reach the Show if they continue to develop and perform. But most of them are in the "Slowey" range of ML possibility, topping out, perhaps, as a "Radke" or "Radke-esque" type starter.

An actual, bonafide Santana type LHer, or even non-injured, non-head case Liriano, are very, very rare as we all know. I'm not saying Gonsalves ranks as a prospect of this nature...again...YET. But remember, Santana was a very young, strong-armed A ball player acquired via the rule 5 draft, and developed over a couple seasons by the Twins. He was NOT some top prospect. He wouldn't have been available otherwise. But Gonsalves has the frame, the initial velocity, the initial breaking ball reports, and the initial pure SO potential and stuff to develop in to something good, if not special. (since I mentioned him, Thorpe also). But I believe more than Berrios and Stewart, we need to be calm and patience with expectations. He needs time. He's probably at least 2 years from reaching AA status. And that's not a bad thing.

My only concern is a lack of information. The way he finished last season, I think there was honest speculation that he would either open in Cedar Rapids, or be a quick addition. But it hasn't worked out that way. Was there a minor injury that held him back initially? Did he show up out of shape? Between numbers available and his young age, did they simply think he was better continuing to work in EST before coming up to finish the season as a starter when some guys might be promoted or shut down for the remainder of the season? I'd really like to know.

"Nice catch Hayes...don't ever f*****g do it again."

--Lou Brown

#14 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:49 PM

I agree. If this injury is indeed a minor hindrance, no reason Stewart couldn't come back and still get additional innings in August, probably part of a 6 man rotation, get some more time in, but not exceed his expected innings mark.

--Lou Brown

#15 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:07 PM

Doc, I would take another Radke in a heartbeat. In the 50 plus years of Twins history, it would be hard to find 5 better Twins pitchers.

#16 DocBauer

DocBauer

• Members
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:58 PM

Doc, I would take another Radke in a heartbeat. In the 50 plus years of Twins history, it would be hard to find 5 better Twins pitchers.

Jim, I hear ya! But in reality, good as he was, as much as I loved him, Radke was a #2. Perry, Kaat, Blyleven and Viola all ranked above.

--Lou Brown

#17 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 15,068 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:01 PM

Jim, I hear ya! But in reality, good as he was, as much as I loved him, Radke was a #2. Perry, Kaat, Blyleven and Viola all ranked above.

But, what percentage of minor league pitchers have the potential to be a #1 or a #2 in the MLB? Maybe 1-2 per organization, so let's say 50. And, each organization is going to have 6 affiliates, likely with a total of 70 pitchers... So, 2 out of 70 equals a really small percentage.

So, when people talk about guys having potential to be a solid #3 or #4 starter in the big leagues, I say, That is Awesome!! There just aren't many that fit into the Meyer, Berrios, Stewart category of pitching prospect.