Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Article: Alex Meyer's Time Is Almost Here

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:11 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...-Almost-Arrived

"You spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time." -- Jim Bouton, "Ball Four"

#2 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Minnesota Twins

• Members
  • 5,717 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:41 AM

Great demonstration!

Yeah, with Gibson and Hughes both banged up but still wanting to make their next starts, there's no good reason not to reshuffle the rotation a little and get either May or Meyer up here to pitch the KC series Tuesday.

#3 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:42 AM

Let's go back to April first.

If someone were to say:

-Pelfrey will be out of the rotation in a month.

-Nolasco may be done for the year in mid July, or at least miss a ton of time.

-Deduno will be innefective this year

-Gibson will miss some time.

-Twins will be 27th in team ERA

-Meyer will have a 3.11 ERA, 10+ K per 9, 7.4 H per 9, and have 100 IP.

I would have been shocked and dissapointed to know that all of those 100 IP were in AAA.

Edited by tobi0040, 25 July 2014 - 08:45 AM.

#4 DaveW

DaveW

Bullies never win

• Members
  • 11,284 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

Great demonstration!

Yeah, with Gibson and Hughes both banged up but still wanting to make their next starts, there's no good reason not to reshuffle the rotation a little and get either May or Meyer up here to pitch the KC series Tuesday.

July 31st is only six days away.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#5 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:47 AM

Let's go back to April first.

If someone were to say:

-Pelfrey will be out of the rotation in a month.

-Nolasco may be done for the year in mid July, or at least miss a ton of time.

-Deduno will be innefective this year

-Gibson will miss some time.

-Twins will be 27th in team ERA

-Meyer will have a 3.11 ERA, 10+ K per 9, 7.4 H per 9, and have 100 IP.

I would have been shocked and dissapointed to know that all of those 100 IP were in AAA.

Yeah, I agree. I know Meyer did hit a rough patch for a bit but it's time to bring him up. Give him a few starts at the ML level now, like Gibson last year. And bring May up too.

#6 Boom Boom

Boom Boom

Cham-Peen of the World

• Members
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:53 AM

With how protective the Twins have been in monitoring Meyer's pitch counts, I think he'll be up later this season, but only in a relief role.

#7 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:57 AM

With how protective the Twins have been in monitoring Meyer's pitch counts, I think he'll be up later this season, but only in a relief role.

I am guessing we don't want to mess with his process. I think they bring him up for 6-8 starts or whatever it takes to hit the number, then shut him down.

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

Cooperstown

• Twins Mods
  • 9,316 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Great article, but I have to take issue with one thing. No way Canada's airforce is capable of stopping a baseball, aircraft, missle or waterfowl. The only way they would stop it is if the baseball had a DUI and then tried to get into the country through customs.

#9 Parker Hageman

Parker Hageman

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,372 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

No way Canada's airforce is capable of stopping a baseball, aircraft, missle or waterfowl. The only way they would stop it is if the baseball had a DUI and then tried to get into the country through customs.

I was picturing them throwing empty Molsons' bottles at it.

#10 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 9,862 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

Yeah, I agree. I know Meyer did hit a rough patch for a bit but it's time to bring him up. Give him a few starts at the ML level now, like Gibson last year. And bring May up too.

Agreed, although I will note that Meyer's "rough patch" has been overblown. Due to his pitch limit, he has prematurely been removed from almost every one of his starts since early May.

This means, for his poorer starts, we either get the full result (where a normal pitcher would be prematurely removed anyway due to conditions/performance), or he is denied a chance to recover from a rough inning early (witness his 3 start stretch where he failed to complete 4 IP each time, despite only allowing 7 runs combined in all 3 starts).

And, for his better starts, they are truncated from their full result -- it is difficult for even the best pitchers to go past 6 innings on fewer than 80-85 pitches.

#11 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now living in Oregon

• Members
  • 17,734 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:22 AM

So, how is it less stressful on the arm to pitch in Rochester? If they want to limit his pitches, and still see how he is up here, how does leaving him down help with that?

#12 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,593 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:27 AM

So, how is it less stressful on the arm to pitch in Rochester? If they want to limit his pitches, and still see how he is up here, how does leaving him down help with that?

That is just it. I subcribe to the only so many bullets in the gun theory and most pitchers take 50-100 IP to adjust to MLB hitters. So the quicker he is up the better, he can get the adjustment period out of the way and start helping this team.

I think the Twins already have some explaining to do, but with Nolasco on the shelf, Gibson missing a start, Hughes potentially hurt, and KC likely gone in 6 days.....

#13 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

I survived Twins 2016

• Twins Mods
  • 9,387 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:29 AM

Great article, but I have to take issue with one thing. No way Canada's airforce is capable of stopping a baseball, aircraft, missle or waterfowl. The only way they would stop it is if the baseball had a DUI and then tried to get into the country through customs.

Real funny......go ahead, try us.

https://encrypted-tb...Jfv0ZA7O0T6_0Aw

I was picturing them throwing empty Molsons' bottles at it.

Pffft, Molson's, that stuff is for the tourists, I'd be throwing full ones.

#14 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 13,663 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:30 AM

As I've written, Meyer had those 3-5 really poor, short starts, but now he's come back with 5 straight "Quality Starts." I think he's made some adjustments (although he's still walking some), and I think that it's time now.

Trevor May would be up too if not for his calf injury, and then his pre-All Star game return start was rained out, then he went three innings and then last night as only able to go three (hitless) because of rain again. He'll be up soon too.

I personally expect Meyer to struggle in his initial time here int he big leagues. That walk rate is just not good, and MLB hitters tend to be even more selective. It'll be interesting. But, Randy Johnson walked a bunch in his first few years in the big leagues too!

#15 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 13,663 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:31 AM

Parker - how worried are you (or should we be) about his wild delivery (personal opinion)?

#16 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:32 AM

If not now, when?

#17 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 6,488 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

Agreed, although I will note that Meyer's "rough patch" has been overblown. Due to his pitch limit, he has prematurely been removed from almost every one of his starts since early May.

This means, for his poorer starts, we either get the full result (where a normal pitcher would be prematurely removed anyway due to conditions/performance), or he is denied a chance to recover from a rough inning early (witness his 3 start stretch where he failed to complete 4 IP each time, despite only allowing 7 runs combined in all 3 starts).

Yes and no. In his three previous starts, he went 6 innings each game and walked 4 in each game. That's a bit of a problem. But I agree that it was generally overblown.

#18 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,515 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

Couple of things about Meyer. He isn't on the 40 man, so in terms of being smart with options, he isn't coming up until he's up for good for the year. That means a full time spot has to be open for him, and he's going to need to have room the pen to transition once his total innings have been hit. Otherwise the team unnecessarily burns an option on him. Second, as Seth mentioned, he hasn't been lights out all year. He was good, had a pretty bad rough patch, and seems have adjusted.

I'm with the others in that I think May was supposed to have gotten the call, and had he not been hurt, he would have. I still think he should be ahead of Meyer and Meyer comes up in September. If Nolasco (or Hughes) is going to be out through August, I think Meyer heads North. May (once he's gone a 6/7 inning start), will likely come up to fill the current 5 spot. Come September, Darnell, Johnson, or Pino will take Meyer's place.

#19 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,431 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

Bring him up and replace Deduno. He does some long relief and a spot start or two. That limits his innings and gets him some major league experience.

#20 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 1,485 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

We need to get May and Meyer up here now. This is an evaluation period and I understand the Twins may not want to put Meyer on the 40 man until September, but there is no reason May should not be here now. You could even put him in the bullpen for a week or two to get accustomed to major league hitters.