Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Morales traded to Seattle

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#101 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,921 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:34 AM

I think the plan all along was to trade Morales if the Twins couldn't get into the thick of the things.I'm guessing Morales was fine with that too.Not sure I'd all it a salary dump as much a I'd call it getting a potential impact player or prospect.

#102 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

I agree (and hope) that it was their plan to deal him if they weren't contending all along. However, the question we don't know is what kind of prospect could they have gotten if they agreed to eat some or all of the salary? The Sox just got the Giants #2 & #7 (preseason) prospects for an under performing Jake Peavy, but picked up some of his remaining salary. Now Morales' value is nowhere near Peavy's but I'm sure the Sox got a lot more by agreeing to cover the $. It seems that this year, money is one asset the Twins have, it would have been nice to see them try to leverage that into a more promising player, if they could. Think of it as "buying" a prospect, if you will, but when you are $15 million under budget for season, why not?

#103 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 27 July 2014 - 01:50 PM

I agree (and hope) that it was their plan to deal him if they weren't contending all along. However, the question we don't know is what kind of prospect could they have gotten if they agreed to eat some or all of the salary? The Sox just got the Giants #2 & #7 (preseason) prospects for an under performing Jake Peavy, but picked up some of his remaining salary. Now Morales' value is nowhere near Peavy's but I'm sure the Sox got a lot more by agreeing to cover the $. It seems that this year, money is one asset the Twins have, it would have been nice to see them try to leverage that into a more promising player, if they could. Think of it as "buying" a prospect, if you will, but when you are $15 million under budget for season, why not?

This is the key sentence.

• diehardtwinsfan likes this
Papers...business papers.

#104 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:52 PM

This is the key sentence.

Not sure I follow. Are you implying that the Twins would not have gotten more than Pryor if they had agreed to cover Morales' remaining salary? Don't forget that Peavy has been a below average starting pitcher this year. The Twins would not have been able to match what the Giants gave up, but I do think they could have gotten more by agreeing to cover the salary. I guess how much more is up for debate, but as far as I'm concerned with the Twins this year, the cost is irrelevant. They need to figure out how to get better.

#105 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 27 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

Not sure I follow. Are you implying that the Twins would not have gotten more than Pryor if they had agreed to cover Morales' remaining salary? Don't forget that Peavy has been a below average starting pitcher this year. The Twins would not have been able to match what the Giants gave up, but I do think they could have gotten more by agreeing to cover the salary. I guess how much more is up for debate, but as far as I'm concerned with the Twins this year, the cost is irrelevant. They need to figure out how to get better.

I don't think they would have gotten anything for a sub .600 OPS DH. Salary relief struck me as a miracle.

Peavy is not great, but he still has value, especially to a NL team.

I just don't see the comparison here.

#106 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 2,975 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

I don't think they would have gotten anything for a sub .600 OPS DH. Salary relief struck me as a miracle.

Because likely not every team thinks he's going to continue to OPS below .600. 

Teams pay for what a player is going to do going forward, not entirely what they have done previously. 

If teams were paying based on this year's results only, we'd be moving Suzuki for an elite package of prospects right about now. 

#107 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

Because likely not every team thinks he's going to continue to OPS below .600. 

Teams pay for what a player is going to do going forward, not entirely what they have done previously. 

If teams were paying based on this year's results only, we'd be moving Suzuki for an elite package of prospects right about now. 

I think the Twins pretty much got paid for what teams do expect Morales to do going forward.

And while Suzuki is good, he is not elite right now when considering defense. But he would still bring back a decent prospect or two.

#108 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:47 PM

Well, now I think you're just being stubborn. The Twins couldn't have gotten any more from the Mariners, who are at their payroll max already, by agreeing to cover his salary? I guess we will just disagree on this one then. The comparison isn't between Peavy and Morales, it's between Morales and zero salary relief and Morales and significant salary relief.

#109 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

The Mariners know the value of a prospect.

If they trade a younger prospect not on the 40, they also have to DFA someone like Pryor. They end up losing two guys.

While I don't agree with all of Ryan's move, I do trust him to try to get a better prospect by offering to pick up a contract. That might work when the value of the contract is 10 million plus or has multiple years. The commitment to Morales was minimal and even a maxed out team like the Mariners can take him on.