Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Morales traded to Seattle

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#61 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 8,230 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:39 PM

Doesn't look horrible - Pryor seemed to have some promise before his injury. If he regains his from (a big if) it looks like he could be a better arm than Tonkin for us. Prior to his injury, Sickels wrote that he had closer stuff if his command came around just a bit more. Graded him a C+/B- borderline type.

#62 ScrapTheNickname

ScrapTheNickname

• Members
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:51 PM

I think the other hitters all have very specific jobs to do - Polanco is in the right place at the right time.

Pinto (I hope) will be up once Suzuki is traded, but he's going to be catching everyday somewhere, that's what the Twins want him to be doing.
Vargas, Kepler will be up in 2015 or 2016, they're not ready yet.
Florimon - NOPE
Herrmann will be fine where he is, probably will take Pinto's spot in AAA.

Who am I forgetting?

I think you're being optimistic on Kepler. He's doing nothing in the minors.

#63 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 441 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:56 PM

I think you're being optimistic on Kepler. He's doing nothing in the minors.

He's been battling injuries - so it's hard to judge just how he'll progress - but yes, a 2015 debut for Max would be VERY optimistic. Unless he starts destroying the lower levels, I'd guess at a 2016 debut for him.

#64 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,585 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:57 PM

Pryor has a strange injury but seems worthwhile to take a flyer on. Not sure what else the Twins could have expected to get.

I'm not even offended by more of a salary dump, just happy to be clearing some 25 man spots.
Papers...business papers.

#65 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:00 PM

I like the trade, yes we got an injured relief pitcher, but it is better than keeping Morales for the rest of the year so he can walk at the end of the season for nothing, not even a comp pick. Plus it gives a very clear indication what the Twins plans are, SELL. So this likely means we will be seeing the likes of May, Meyer, Vargas (September), Rosario (September) as the Twins continue to unload expiring contracts.

#66 raindog

raindog

• Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

I think if the could have gotten a young prospect with upside, they would have. I just like that they're selling.

#67 jay

jay

• Members
  • 1,504 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:21 PM

The return here is completely irrelevant. I appreciate that the Twins took a shot on Morales, I really do. Freeing up the playing time is most important at this point with the side benefit of shedding his $4.3M+ due for the next 2 months. It's surprising the Twins didn't have to cover a significant portion of that money.

#68 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,433 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:32 PM

Plus this trade will help us climb the in the draft pick standings. We should move from 8th pick to the 4th pick if we can shed a few more players who contribute just enough to keep us at 8th place. That can lead to some more top prospects.

While I wanted to see the Twins go for .500. I guess we can do that next year.

#69 jharaldson

jharaldson

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:33 PM

Polanco doesn't really seem to fit, but they weren't about to sit Pinto on the bench, and Vargas is still a little green to be taking Kendrys Morales' DH spot. This gives Parmelee, Willingham, and Colabello more chances to hit without fielding. Polanco is better than a pitcher being called up . . .

I'm not sure why Polanco is less green than Vargas?

Age = Polanco 21/Vargas 24 (in 7 days)
Highest Minor level = Polanco A/Vargas AA
Experience = Polanco 5 years/Vargas 6 years

If we are sellers and looking towards next year then lets get a glimpse of Vargas because I have seen enough of Parmalee and Colabello.

#70 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 4,640 posts
  • LocationTaiwan

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:40 PM

Why is everyone regarding Vargas as being green and not ready? he turns 24 in a week with more than half a season of AA ball. He barely even needs to worry about playing defense. It's not like we are talking about a 21 yr old, that hasn't played AA ball and plays a key defensive position (Polanco).

The reason that I see him not being promoted is that the team wants full time AB's for Colabello, Parmelee, Arcia and Willy. I think this fascination will pass and Vargas will be up in August.

edit - J was a little faster typing but yeah...

#71 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,793 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

I'm glad they traded him instead of "signing him longterm"
The return isn't much but the Twins have had some decent success at building bullpen arms, and he does throw 96....which is nice. Maybe Anderson can turn him into a useful piece for us moving forward.

No comment about the last sentence. But... Pryor used to throw up to triple digits and averaged above 98 for a few seasons (in the minors; SSS fangraphs MLB data aside) before he got hurt. Now he is at 92 with the four seamer. Long way back, but it could happen; likely not in the bigs before the rosters expand.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#72 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,679 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Why Polanco. Sure, he'll be sent out when Mauer returns. But why not give Vargas some at bats and see what he can do. I'm sure Nunez will be the DH. Also, does Pryor of options left next season, or does he have to stay on the roster. That is the type of player you usually do get in a deal like this, someone a team doesn't want to have to protect next year and the decision to waive can be made by someone else and if they do, you might have the option to grab him back again. If the Twins can still send him out next year, then it is a terrific deal, otherwise...he earns arbitration time being on the DL or we lose him. Cutting Guerrier was a 40-man move totally. Although why not cut Florimon, or better yet Fryer and keep Herrmann up here. Not that Guerrier is a great loss. Expect someone to pick him up for the run...or at least stash him in the minors for a September callup if the bullpen (of any team but the Twins) is slim. ho is next: Swarzak, Duensing, Burton, Correia, Willingham, Suzucki? All could be gone. Molasco, to, if someone waiver claims him in August!

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#73 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,585 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

Pryor was probably going to be the guy Seattle DFAed to make room for Morales but I say it is a worthwhile flyer, maybe give him some time in September.
Papers...business papers.

#74 Thrylos

Thrylos

They Finally fired ’em. Play Ball!

• Members
  • 8,793 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

re: Vargas, Polanco, etc:

Morales is the tip of the iceberg. I will be surprised if there is not a spot(s) open for Vargas (& Pinto & May & Meyer) by next week this time.
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#75 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 4,360 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:35 PM

What am I missing?

We paid nothing for Morales, outside of money, he wasn't doing much, and wasn't going to be here beyond this year.
Yeah, Pryor isn't a great haul, but he's a lotto ticket. Any small chance he has of returning to his pre injury form and contributing to us is still a larger percent than the chance that Morales was going to contribute in future seasons.

I'm all for it.

#76 Sconnie

Sconnie

From the "right" side of the St Croix

• Members
  • 3,117 posts
  • LocationNW Wisconsin

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

Morales really didn't seem to like Seattle much. I am surprised he went back there.

Also I wonder if this means we are about to really lower the cost of our bullpen as we already have several candidates and Deunsing and Swarzak as arbitration eligible.

it was a trade, he had no choice in the matter

#77 EephusKnuckler

EephusKnuckler

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

Jeez. Swept by the Rays, and then Morales traded and Hughes possibly injured on the same day. And so soon after the All Star break. Not that there was much reason for optimism, but that giant fart sound you hear is the Twins 2014 season deflating.

Did the Morales signing mean that Terry Ryan genuinely thought the Twins had a shot at being a fringe contender? Or was it intended from the beginning to trade him, knowing that the team is still bad?

#78 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,899 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:57 PM

Jeez. Swept by the Rays, and then Morales traded and Hughes possibly injured on the same day. And so soon after the All Star break. Not that there was much reason for optimism, but that giant fart sound you hear is the Twins 2014 season deflating.

Did the Morales signing mean that Terry Ryan genuinely thought the Twins had a shot at being a fringe contender? Or was it intended from the beginning to trade him, knowing that the team is still bad?

I think they believed that if everything went right, they could be as good a team as Seattle, Cleveland and KC (contending for a wild card), but since we've seen that everything hasn't gone right and the club will battle the Whities for 4th place. After the Rays dismantled the Twins, Ryan moved from undecided to seller and the team publicly acknowledged they weren't in contention.

#79 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 17,338 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks, ND

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:01 PM

The injury is they key to me. Pryor could really fling it prior to the injury.

If we end up with the Pryor Prior. It'll be good. If not... It'll be disappointing.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

President of the "Baseball Player Positional Flexibility" Club 

Founded 4-23-16 

Strike Zone Automation Advocate

#80 Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:22 PM

We gave away a solid player just as he essentially completed the equivalent of spring training and got squat for him. We should be collecting guys like him not dumping them. We should have resigned him to 3-4 years.