Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Morales traded to Seattle

• Please log in to reply
108 replies to this topic

#21 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 8,621 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:13 PM

I'm glad they traded him instead of "signing him longterm"
The return isn't much but the Twins have had some decent success at building bullpen arms, and he does throw 96....which is nice. Maybe Anderson can turn him into a useful piece for us moving forward.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#22 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 547 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

I think they figure they already burned one of Polanco's option years when they called him up earlier.

They burned his option year when he was added to the roster to keep him out of the Rule 5 draft.

#23 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,174 posts

One curious point: Seattle apparently doesn't make their college-age draftees slog their way through the minors one level per year. They challenge them, and keep/cut them before fungus grows on them.

#24 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 8,621 posts

I really didn't think the return would be great but we have a slough of guys like that in the organization already. I was thinking maybe a catcher, ss, or OF.

Catcher and SS are two of the most thin positions in all of major league ball, no team is going to give up a guy who has even a slight chance to succeed in the majors at either position for a guy like Morales who is owed a decent chunk of money and hasn't really been producing thus far.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#25 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 719 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

I really didn't think the return would be great but we have a slough of guys like that in the organization already. I was thinking maybe a catcher, ss, or OF.

Yeah I agree but when you have little to no leverage you take the best value given I guess. Sucks that he is injured and will ultimately take a 40 man spot. Must be something the Twins liked about him.

#26 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

So, in this case, does it seem like the Twins called Seattle offering Morales or did Seattle say 'how many AAA relievers fo you want for Morales'?

I hope it is the latter.

#27 JustcallupSANO

JustcallupSANO

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFort Myers, FL

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:17 PM

we should have asked "will you take Corriea too?"

#28 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:18 PM

Funny how things can change in a month. When the Twins signed him it was a hopeful sign that things were going in the right direction and they the front office thought we could win now. The rubber band was strong and stretching in the right direction etc.

#29 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

The Twins had 4,327,869 reasons to get him dumped.

#30 zenser

zenser

• Members
  • 316 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:20 PM

Catcher and SS are two of the most thin positions in all of major league ball, no team is going to give up a guy who has even a slight chance to succeed in the majors at either position for a guy like Morales who is owed a decent chunk of money and hasn't really been producing thus far.

I understand that every team is thin on those positions. To me, this guy seems like an organizational filler. He might not amount to anything. I hope I am wrong. My point was, we have a lot of guys like him in the minors already. Why not look at some of our thin positions and get another organizational filler in those positions. Maybe a guy who could be a 4th OF rather than running our minor league SS out in the major league OF.

#31 teekz

teekz

Mr. Awesome

• Members
  • 412 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

You can never have enough infielders playing in the outfield!!

I can't wait to see an all SS outfield soon!

#32 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 8,621 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:22 PM

Yeah I agree but when you have little to no leverage you take the best value given I guess. Sucks that he is injured and will ultimately take a 40 man spot. Must be something the Twins liked about him.

40 man space is hardly an issue at this point for the Twins, there are SEVERAL players who can be taken off.

In limited MLB action he has a 2.20 ERA or so and 35k in 32 innings and throws 96. I'm sure that is what the Twins like about him, maybe he never comes back from injury or maybe he just never is effective again, doesn't really hurt them and if Rick Anderson can work a little magic you are looking at a possible nice bullpen option who is cheap for several years.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#33 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

I understand that every team is thin on those positions. To me, this guy seems like an organizational filler. He might not amount to anything. I hope I am wrong. My point was, we have a lot of guys like him in the minors already. Why not look at some of our thin positions and get another organizational filler in those positions. Maybe a guy who could be a 4th OF rather than running our minor league SS out in the major league OF.

He does have good ML numbers so far in his career.

Stephen Pryor, just turned 25 (seriously...turned 25 yesterday) year old RHP. 34 career ML appearances from the bullpen with a 2.81 ERA. Minor numbers show a bullpen guy as well.

Was throwing a 96MPH fastball in 2012 and 2013. He's currently in AAA rehabbing surgery on his latissimus dorsi muscle. Mostly a fastball slider pitcher. Fangraphs shows a few curveballs the last couple years, and very small number of change ups.

#34 joeboo_22

joeboo_22

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

The move of Polonco must mean that Mauer is close to coming back? you'd think if it was any significant playing time they would bring up Pinto right?

#35 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 8,621 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

He is a boom or bust type guy, he is 24, throws 96 MPH and has had a little success in his cup of coffee in the majors.

Org filler is a 28 year old Doug Bernier or Scott Diamond type. I know the Twins are a bit thin on OF at the current moment, but another 4th OF is very low on their needs moving forward as they already have Fuld.

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#36 whydidnt

whydidnt

• Members
  • 473 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

Nothing really wrong with this deal. Morales has been pretty disappointing and since they aren't going anywhere this year, and he's a FA at the end of the season, might as well take what you can for him. The Pohlad's just made another $4+ million too. Would really have liked to see them bring up Vargas or Pinto to try and lay claim to the DH spot though. Not sure what they are planning to do with Polanco at this point, but seems curious to bring him up and have him sit on the bench when they don't have a need for another MI at this point. The continuation of curious roster moves continue.

#37 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 6,359 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

I think Pryor may have two option years left after this year, so we'll have some flexibility to send him to the minors in 2015-2016 even if he occupies a 40-man spot.

He was added to Seattle's 40-man roster when called up June 2012, was briefly sent to the minors in late July for 8-9 days after a rehab stint, but that shouldn't have been enough to use an option year.

And 2013, it appears he was on the MLB 60-day DL for most of the season, with his minor league appearances coming in another rehab stint.

So 2014 should represent his first option year.

#38 John Bonnes

John Bonnes

Owner

• Administrators
  • 5,331 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:29 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...r-Stephen-Pryor

#39 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:32 PM

Nothing really wrong with this deal. Morales has been pretty disappointing and since they aren't going anywhere this year, and he's a FA at the end of the season, might as well take what you can for him. The Pohlad's just made another $4+ million too. Would really have liked to see them bring up Vargas or Pinto to try and lay claim to the DH spot though. Not sure what they are planning to do with Polanco at this point, but seems curious to bring him up and have him sit on the bench when they don't have a need for another MI at this point. The continuation of curious roster moves continue.

Polanco doesn't really seem to fit, but they weren't about to sit Pinto on the bench, and Vargas is still a little green to be taking Kendrys Morales' DH spot. This gives Parmelee, Willingham, and Colabello more chances to hit without fielding. Polanco is better than a pitcher being called up . . .

#40 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:33 PM

An option year was already used on Polanco, so there's really no harm in bringing him up (unless you think it hurts his development). Pinto you could make a case for, but they WANT him to stick at catcher and he won't get regular reps behind the dish with Suzu around