Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Trade Candidate: Josh Willingham

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,840 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...Josh-Willingham

#2 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:02 PM

any chance cleveland might give up their b comp round pick for him?

#3 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:37 PM

What would a C class prospect be like?? Can you give me a comparable name from the Twins farm teams that you would consider a C prospect?

Thanks!!

#4 34skidoo

34skidoo

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:45 PM

What would a C class prospect be like?? Can you give me a comparable name from the Twins farm teams that you would consider a C prospect?

Thanks!!

MLB Trade Rumors is reporting the Twins have just traded Kendrys Morales for pitcher Stephen Pryor.

#5 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:31 PM

Niko Goodrum, Aaron Slegers. Someone with a shot but not likely to contribute. They can probably get a C+ prospect for Willingham (Travis Harrison, Zach Jones)

#6 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 24 July 2014 - 02:53 PM

In 2012, when Willingham was putting up career best number, I recall the reported returns being nothing more than a back end starter or long reliever. The Twins wanted more and chose to hold on to him. (Questionable decision at the time and with the benefit of hindsight, it's easy to say it was the wrong decision - but let's ignore that part... spilled milk and whatnot)

Two years later, with worse numbers and an expiring contract, I'd think the Twins should be happy if they can get a prospect in "C" range. Any depth would be a welcome addition at this point. Too bad Willingham had a down year, I was hoping he'd be able to build some value if not to help the Twins offense, then to at least earn a decent prospect in return.

#7 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:03 PM

We also need to remember that in 2012 was Willingham's first season with the Twins after signing a 3 year contract and he wasn't interested in being dealt. What kind of message would that send other free agents in the future if they are thinking of signing a long term contract here? Probably the same things as prospects are now considering when signing with the Astros, and free agents think before taking a physical for the Orioles (see Gant Balfour contract negation last year).

#8 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 400 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

We also need to remember that in 2012 was Willingham's first season with the Twins after signing a 3 year contract and he wasn't interested in being dealt. What kind of message would that send other free agents in the future if they are thinking of signing a long term contract here? Probably the same things as prospects are now considering when signing with the Astros, and free agents think before taking a physical for the Orioles (see Gant Balfour contract negation last year).

Right, and for their part the Twins weren't really interested in trading Willingham in 2012 (likely due to that same thinking). The second point on this MLBTraderumors story from '12 sort of backs that thinking up.

However, my point was more towards his value. There were other teams actively interested in trading for a red hot Willingham in 2012 - and the return piece looked to be a number 4 starter at best. If rival GMs were down on his value THEN, what's his real value now? That's my concern. A C level prospect would be a good return - IMO.

#9 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,788 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 24 July 2014 - 03:44 PM

Gossip Central:

#10 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:14 PM

Of course the time to trade him was after his career year in 2012 but since he had just had his career year no one really wanted to part with him. I went into the offseason that year thinking it would be smart to trade him but then being pretty nonplussed to here what was allegedly being offered. The game winning home run was nice but compared to what hopefully will be either Santana, Hicks or Rosario his defense cost us more than a game this year. I like the guy but he just hasn't been worth it the last two years.

#11 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 371 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:26 PM

[quote name='JB_Iowa']Gossip Central:

• Mike Berardino ‏@MikeBerardino 2m
    Terry Ryan is having a talk with Josh Willingham now during BP. Didn't last long. Serious looks.

Don't be shocked if the Twins just cut Willingham. At this point they would have to take back all of his salary just to get a class C prospect back. Teams may be looking for right handed bats but nobody is going to beat down the Twins door to take on Willinghams remaining salary. Twins likely will put him on August release waivers and hope that someone picks him up for a salary dump. A slow left fielder with a bad back and knees isn't bringing any prospects back.

#12 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:54 PM

If the Twins were contending I think you would be right. They would just cut him. But in the situation they are in I think they should hang on another month trying to trade him. What's another loss or two.

#13 DiscGolfer

DiscGolfer

• Members
  • 141 posts
  • LocationTC

Posted 25 July 2014 - 12:21 AM

Can they get a bag of shiny new baseballs for him?

#14 uigalbi

uigalbi

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:55 AM

how about sign him with 1-year extension and trade him next year? He's OBP is not bad and doing better than last year. He may do better next year so that he'll be more valuable.

#15 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,192 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 04:46 AM

Based on Morales' return, I'd imagine Hammer is going to get a similar return. He costs a bit less, but is producing about the same. Neither are going to be premium defenders. It's too late for his bat to heat up as well. I'm guessing a conditional pick at best based on his performance. Not sure I see the DFA option. He's not blocking anyone.

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,192 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 12:47 PM

MLBTR is reporting that the Yankees are interested in hammer.

#17 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,192 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:32 PM

Had a chance to look over the Yankee's list. They have a few guys that might be of interest. I'm guessing Greg Bird or Gary Sanchez is asking too much. They have a lot of B-/C+ guys that look kind of interesting. I'd really like Ian Clarkin.

http://www.minorleag...spects-for-2014

#18 Craig Arko

Craig Arko

Kepler 425b or bust

• Members
  • 3,032 posts
  • LocationEarth
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:33 PM

Had a chance to look over the Yankee's list. They have a few guys that might be of interest. I'm guessing Greg Bird or Gary Sanchez is asking too much. They have a lot of B-/C+ guys that look kind of interesting. I'd really like Ian Clarkin.http://www.minorleag...spects-for-2014

They probably offer A-Rod.

"God created war so that Americans would learn geography" - Mark Twain

#19 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,504 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:42 PM

I wonder if you ask for Murphy and settle for Cervelli. The Yankees have plenty of catchers and either of them would help bridge the gap until the Twins develop one. Both are under team control (i.e. cheap) and offer enough to be part of the re-build. If the team decides to bring Suzuki back, both have excelled at being a backup.

#20 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

I would more than settle for Cervelli.

I don't think that will be the offer. I think it will be a guy on the fringe of the 40 man roster. Austin Romine, Preston Claiborne or maybe Zoilo Almonte.

If they can't get a Willingham cheap, they will simply pursue a better player. MLBTR mentions Byrd and Rios.