Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/23): Shut out of Majors, Meyer Impresses

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:24 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...Meyer-Impresses

#2 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 495 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:06 AM

I hope Kohl Stewart's shoulder soreness isn't like Pelfrey's............

#3 ScottyB

ScottyB

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:55 AM

What shocks me the most in this story is Pedro Florimon. Not that he's lifted his average to .244 and showing doubles power, but that he actually played 3B. He's never been comfortable anywhere but SS. If he shows some versatility and keeps his average within earshot of .250, maybe we'll be able to trade him for a GCL player instead of just releasing him when the time comes to clear out the 40-man.

#4 Teddy

Teddy

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:44 AM

Jeremy, I absolutely LOVE that you added the standings/record update for each team. Thank you!!

#5 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 211 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:20 AM

I really wouldn't mind if Dougie was managing the highest level next year...

#6 teekz

teekz

Jedi Master

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationCoruscant
  • Twitter: tdkuhl

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:40 AM

What struck me odd was Levi Michael's name popping up in the GCL write-up. Didn't realize he was demoted. Anybody know the exact reasoning?

#7 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:52 AM

What struck me odd was Levi Michael's name popping up in the GCL write-up. Didn't realize he was demoted. Anybody know the exact reasoning?

He's rehabbing his foot injury. I bet he's back with FM in the next few days.

#8 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:04 AM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...Meyer-Impresses

The Front office is quickly running out of excuses for not calling up Alex Myer and Trevor May. I don't buy the current excuses "they still have things to work" or "the just aren't ready." BS BS BS....

The only limitation should be placed innings allowed for Myer. That shutdown can't be avoided this season, but should not be an issue next year.

#9 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

No reason for Meyer to throw another pitch to AAA hitters.

#10 teekz

teekz

Jedi Master

• Members
  • 296 posts
  • LocationCoruscant
  • Twitter: tdkuhl

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:05 AM

Gotcha. Thanks! I thought he was doing better at FM this year so I was a little surprised.

#11 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 07:49 AM

I hope Kohl Stewart's shoulder soreness isn't like Pelfrey's............

Could be a sign of fatigue from full season ball. He might be compensating and throwing off his mechanics. I want to be confident the Twins will be pro-active his health considering his value to the future of the organization.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#12 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

Gotcha. Thanks! I thought he was doing better at FM this year so I was a little surprised.

Hasn't played for two months, so he gets a handful of games in the GCL before going back to the Miracle. (which might be the timing for Polanco moving up to NB)

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

I'm good with being conservative with Stewart. My hope (and assumption) is that they are just having him skip a start or two. That's pretty normal in the lower levels.

When I talked to Gary Lucas a couple of weeks ago, they were already talking about when to have JO Berrios skip a start or two as well. Gotta protect those arms!

#14 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 521 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

A minor nit--in your Miracle write-up no mention of pitching--yet my AAP had a great game--maybe not as good as Meyers--but almost--7IP, 2R, 8 hits, 5Ks and no BB. That at least deserves a mention in the minor league report.

Don't get me wrong--I love these--first articles I read on TD each day.

Count me among those who think that Dougie deserves a promotion and maybe actually to the Twins coaching staff.

#15 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:05 AM

The Front office is quickly running out of excuses for not calling up Alex Myer and Trevor May. I don't buy the current excuses "they still have things to work" or "the just aren't ready." BS BS BS....

The only limitation should be placed innings allowed for Myer. That shutdown can't be avoided this season, but should not be an issue next year.

Not to defend the organization, but I think up to this point, the FO has had good reasons to not promote one or both, for Meyer his earlier season inconsistency and now for May his injury. I honestly believe that May would have already made his debut with the Twins were it not for his injury.

Again like I said, not necessarily defending the organization but just adding my 2 cents.

#16 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:08 AM

I am all for protecting arms but don't really believe there is any science to it. Skipping starts when there is some arm fatigue or soreness makes sense to me. Arbitrarily limiting innings for a season seems silly to me. If Blyleven, Morris or Maddux were 19 today in the minors they would be on innings limits and to what end? If Stewart or Meyer get to 100 innings do you shut them down? Is the belief that after a few months of rest and pitching 100 innings again that in 365 days they will be able to handle 25 more innings? Where is the science to that? Guys like Gibson Strasburg and Liriano are put on innings limits and end up needing surgery later just like the guys who are not "protected". I am all for protecting arms but the only form it really makes sense to me is the year after surgery. Some will not need surgery ever, innings limits or not. Some will need it regardless and why not do it sooner rather than later. Protecting arms never really seems like it protects arms.

#17 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:14 AM

I would have been fine with May or Meyer being promoted earlier but can see justification in not. Pino simply performed better than Meyer and earned the promotion more. May earned it next but got hurt. Darnell would have made sense earlier but now it is not as justifiable to take him over Meyer. Very soon the rotation should be Hughes, Gibson, Meyer, May and either Pino or Correia. Meyer starting in the pen would also be acceptable.

#18 AScheib50

AScheib50

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

One of the more frustrating things about the Buxton season is watching other guys pass him up on the ladder to the Majors. I'm from Chicago and I just read the Cubs promoted Albert Almora to AA...I saw he and Buxton play last year against one another at Kane County and they were on two different levels at the time...makes me wonder where Buxton could be if healthy.

And as far as Dougie goes, I would love to see him get a well earned "promotion" I am all on board with him as Gardy's replacement even.

#19 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 964 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

Hasn't played for two months, so he gets a handful of games in the GCL before going back to the Miracle. (which might be the timing for Polanco moving up to NB)

Nice call, Seth.

Brice Zimmerman@ZimMiracleBefore heading out on four-game trip to Tampa, Miracle have a few roster moves. Levi Michael comes over from GCL. Jorge Polanco to AA.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#20 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,895 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 09:43 AM

I would have been fine with May or Meyer being promoted earlier but can see justification in not. Pino simply performed better than Meyer and earned the promotion more. May earned it next but got hurt. Darnell would have made sense earlier but now it is not as justifiable to take him over Meyer. Very soon the rotation should be Hughes, Gibson, Meyer, May and either Pino or Correia. Meyer starting in the pen would also be acceptable.

Debatable. The comparative peripheral stats and Pino's incredibly lucky peripherals (BABIP and LOB%) and advanced age and little future with the Twins suggest Meyer was the superior choice.

#21 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 561 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:00 AM

Fun day, today, of starting pitching probables

#22 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 704 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

I'm from Chicago and I just read the Cubs promoted Albert Almora to AA...I saw he and Buxton play last year against one another at Kane County and they were on two different levels at the time...makes me wonder where Buxton could be if healthy

Almora .283 BA / .306 OBP
Pays to be the #6 pick in the draft
Cubs are said to have the best minor league system in baseball this year. Love how they treat each player differently in terms of promotion rationale. Players are not always as fragile as everyone makes them to be. They understand that failure comes with the game and that they are in the minors for a reason. I wish the Twins would let some of their prospects move a little quicker (even if it meant repeating a level after an aggressive promotion).

Baby steps = Congrats to Jorge Polanco going to AA. Look for that September call up.

#23 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:40 AM

Debatable. The comparative peripheral stats and Pino's incredibly lucky peripherals (BABIP and LOB%) and advanced age and little future with the Twins suggest Meyer was the superior choice.

Bingo.

#24 Tibs

Tibs

• Members
  • 797 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

Is there a downside to Meyer spending the rest of the year in the Twins bullpen? I would like to see him as a starter, but I don't know how many more starts he could make and he has been on a pitch limit what seems like all season.

#25 SurroundedByTigers

SurroundedByTigers

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:59 AM

Reed's numbers are looking pretty dynamite for CR: 1.29 ERA in 5 appearances w/10K, 1 bb. So far between Elizabethtown and CR, he has 0.69 ERA in 13IP with 18K, 1 BB.
Also, when does Walker go up to AA? Vargas needs some friendly hitting competition - for the long ball, batting avg, etc.

#26 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 414 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

9-1 with a sub 2 ERA probably did involve some luck but still 9-1 with sub 2 ERA. Meyer with some dominating performances and great peripherals still had a run and a half higher ERA and a .500 record. Debatable means defendable. If Meyer had a 9-1 record with a 1.9 ERA we would not be having this discussion. Logan over Meyer is not as defendable.

#27 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

9-1 with a sub 2 ERA probably did involve some luck but still 9-1 with sub 2 ERA. Meyer with some dominating performances and great peripherals still had a run and a half higher ERA and a .500 record. Debatable means defendable. If Meyer had a 9-1 record with a 1.9 ERA we would not be having this discussion. Logan over Meyer is not as defendable.

Wins and losses is a terrible gauge for starting pitchers.

If you mean revert the two guys BABIP and LOB %, their numbers are in the same ballpark. That is what you have to do when looking at a sample of 50-60 IP. Or you could look at career numbers, which Meyer would get the nod.

Pino at AAA. 2.45 ERA, 9.14 K per 9. .220 BABIP and a 86.5% strand rate.

Meyer at AAA 3.11 ERA, 10.2 K per 9. .296 BABIP and a 77% strand rate.

Meyer's BABIP and strand rate look about normal. If you basically increase Pino's base runners by 30%, then double the amount of runners that score,.......you have two pitchers with very similar numbers and you have just taken the 30 year old non prospect with no future over the 24 year old top 20-30 prospect with MLB stuff.

Since the promotion, Pino has K'd 6.5 per 9. His BABIP jumped to .314 (normal range), his LOB percentage swung the other way (.67.8%), which is probably too low.....

This was all predictable and we have given 33 innings and counting to the wrong pitcher, IMO.

Edited by tobi0040, 24 July 2014 - 11:52 AM.

#28 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

I guess that depends on how much weight you put on ERA and W/L. Many feel that W/L are a worthless stat for pitchers. It really doesn't tell you much about their performance. ERA is better but it still doesn't tell the whole story when you're looking at small samples. The other issue is that Pino is not a prospect anymore. By the time players are 30 the book has pretty much been written. Guys don't really "break out" after 30, so why waste MLB innings on him when there are prospects that need those innings for development.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#29 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:01 PM

A minor nit--in your Miracle write-up no mention of pitching--yet my AAP had a great game--maybe not as good as Meyers--but almost--7IP, 2R, 8 hits, 5Ks and no BB. That at least deserves a mention in the minor league report.

Don't get me wrong--I love these--first articles I read on TD each day.

Count me among those who think that Dougie deserves a promotion and maybe actually to the Twins coaching staff.

I listened to a few innings of yesterday's game and it really sounded like Lee was impressive. He's got really good stuff... Hopefully he can stay healthy.

#30 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,157 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Nice call, Seth.

Brice Zimmerman@ZimMiracleBefore heading out on four-game trip to Tampa, Miracle have a few roster moves. Levi Michael comes over from GCL. Jorge Polanco to AA.

Wow!!! I'm good... Ha! Just kidding... just a guess.