Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Twins Win Competitive Balance Draft Pick

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,613 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

According to MLB Trade Rumors, the Twins will get an extra draft pick in 2015 between the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

http://www.mlbtrader...ry-results.html

As MLB.com’s Jim Callis explained[FONT=Verdana] earlier in the week, teams that have one of the 10 smallest markets or one of the 10 smallest revenue pools are eligible to receive a compensatory pick between the first and second rounds (Round A) or between the second and third rounds (Round B).[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana]The A’s, Diamondbacks, Indians, Marlins, Orioles, Padres, Pirates, Rays, Reds, Rockies and Royals were eligible for Comp Round A picks. The teams that didn’t receive an extra pick from that pool were placed into a second pool that also included the Mariners and Twins to determine which would receive a Comp Round B selection. These picks are eligible to be traded any time during the regular season, right up until 5pm ET on the day of next year’s draft.[/FONT]

#2 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:19 PM

It's nice that teams have the option to trade that pick. My guess is the Twins will be keeping theirs..

#3 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:23 PM

Maybe we could trade our cast offs for others draft picks and get more draft picks since we are selling and not likely to get good prospects from what I am reading here.

#4 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:27 PM

Like Willingham to the Reds or Mariners for their pick? Suzuki to the Cardinals or the Orioles for their pick and (I would hope) another player?

Would these teams value those potential 2nd round draft choices over an upgrade this year?

#5 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 594 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:56 PM

Like Willingham to the Reds or Mariners for their pick? Suzuki to the Cardinals or the Orioles for their pick and (I would hope) another player?

Would these teams value those potential 2nd round draft choices over an upgrade this year?

I think that works for trading Willingham or a lessor player. I think for Suzuki you want an established player with B prospect potential. A safer bet if you will rather than a low 1st round selection but who knows. It certainly beats getting nothing for either player.

#6 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 842 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 01:57 PM

I only remember those choices being traded twice in the three years teams could trade them. I dont remember exactly but it is pretty rare.

#7 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

The Marlins dumped theirs this past year to get a relief pitcher. It's still a pretty new concept in baseball to trade a draft pick, it would depend on what the team trading the pick away was trying to accomplish.

#8 TwinsTerritory

TwinsTerritory

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:06 PM

I think I would trade Suzuki to the Cardinals for their pick, but I'd hope to get more than just the pick from the Orioles. I would definitely trade Willingham for either the Mariners or Reds pick.

As mentioned trading these picks is a relatively new thing and it doesn't seem like teams are apt to trade picks often.

#9 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:11 PM

For Suzuki, I would hold out for more than a draft pick since the draft is so unpredicable. Prospects are volatile enough commodities on their own.

I would ask for the pick + a player for Suzuki because his value to a team is higher and his skills are harder to replace than Willingham's are.

#10 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 939 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

Do teams get extra money in their pool to sign these picks?

#11 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:19 PM

Do teams get extra money in their pool to sign these picks?

Yes. Whatever the normal slot would be for that pick.
Papers...business papers.

#12 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 741 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:45 PM

Wow. We won something. This ain't your dad's Timberwolves!

#13 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:22 PM

It would be sweet if we could trade Willingham, Corria, Morales and Suzuki for comp picks. I would think Suzuki would bring more though

#14 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 23 July 2014 - 06:43 PM

It would be sweet if we could trade Willingham, Corria, Morales and Suzuki for comp picks. I would think Suzuki would bring more though

Lottery tickets! We'd have so many we couldn't lose.

#15 CRArko

CRArko

Don't need no stinkin badges

• Members
  • 2,697 posts
  • LocationNagoya
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:15 PM

Lottery tickets! We'd have so many we couldn't lose.

"And with their next pick in the 2015 draft, the Minnesota Twins select... everybody."
The Mighty Shabani

#16 pierre75275

pierre75275

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:18 PM

And...we would get a ton of draft money.

#17 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:32 PM

Given the reluctance to sign at compensation-required free agent over the past few years because of losing a 2nd round pick, the Twins FO, must be throwing a freaking party

#18 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Draft Czar

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,464 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

The way I look at it, you offer Suzuki a QO (which you absolutely wouldn't!) and you get a first round pick.

If you can trade him for a Comp Round A pick (which will only be a few picks later), that's highway robbery.

I know it's not apples to apples, but those picks have a ton of value... which is why smart teams aren't trading them.

#19 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:32 AM

Yeah- trades of these picks are not all that likely. It does represent an opportunity, though, for a team to get a closer to "sure thing" if they trade a comp pick for a player with a proven track record. For a team that needs a specifc guy, it can be useful to trade a pick away that will be of great value to another team.

#20 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,997 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 06:40 AM

Maybe we could trade our cast offs for others draft picks and get more draft picks since we are selling and not likely to get good prospects from what I am reading here.

I could potentially see that with some of the buyers, but comp A picks are essentially supplemental first rounders, I don't see a guy like KC going for a supplemental first rounder, though I would be thrilled if Ryan attempted to aquire that.

I could see it being used as a way to sweeten a deal and pick up a better prospect at the deadline. In reality though, the Twins are more likely to be trying to aquire these than to trade them.