Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Braking: Valencia to AAA and Maloney DFA'd

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,303 posts
  • LocationLehigh Valley, PA, USA
  • Twitter: thrylos98

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:16 PM

Mastroianni and Walters up... Interesting
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#2 stringer bell

stringer bell

Confirmed Hacker

• Twins News Team
  • 4,051 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:25 PM

Mastroianni and Walters up...

Interesting

That would mean the Twins' 3B is Jamey Carroll?

#3 DJSim22

DJSim22

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:27 PM

That would mean the Twins' 3B is Jamey Carroll?

Sure looks that way.

Just move Mauer over to 3rd next. ;)

#4 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:32 PM

Braking? huh?

#5 spideyo

spideyo

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:40 PM

Braking? huh?

Quiet you!

#6 NorthwestTwinsFan

NorthwestTwinsFan

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

This is the right move by the Twins. They had given Valencia more than enough opportunities and he just wasn't getting it done. Hopefully he can make the most of this by making some adjustments and getting his confidence back. Maloney, on the other hand, had no business being on a big league roster in the first place.

#7 Highabove

Highabove

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:53 PM

Alex Burnett cannot pitch himself out of a job.

#8 Cris E

Cris E

• Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:56 PM

Liriano to the pen means Burnett is on notice! So how did Burroughs look this week? Ready for a call up, or does Plouffe get a week to claim the job?

#9 Snortwood

Snortwood

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:44 PM

All we are saying, is give Plouffe a chance!

#10 twinsnorth49

twinsnorth49

Moderately Moderate

• Twins Mods
  • 3,762 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

Braking? huh?

Quiet you!

Someone had to call that one.

#11 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 11:21 PM

Actually "braking" might be appropriate. As in, we are putting the brakes on this downward spiral disaster known as Danny Valencia, this joke AAA pitcher Maloney, and the crime against humanity known as Liriano-the-starter.

#12 tpb8

tpb8

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:08 AM

Give Plouffe the 3B job.....or any job....for one month and see how he does. Please. Why would we want Carroll to take playing time at 3B? A 38 yr. old punchless .200 hitter? No thanks. A utility role is perfect for him. Calling up Mastroianni must mean that Plouffe is going to be seeing a lot of time at 3B. it also probably means that Parmelee is going to AAA when Morneau comes back.

#13 Yoshii

Yoshii

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 07:16 AM

Why would we want Carroll to take playing time at 3B? A 38 yr. old punchless .200 hitter? No thanks. A utility role is perfect for him.

Because he has played the best defense of any Twin so far and the staff values that. I think he needs to be on the field somewhere, whether its 2B, SS, or 3B. Out defense is so ****ty everywhere else.

#14 powrwrap

powrwrap

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

Valencia to AAA. Vikings get a new stadium. Pretty good day so far.
[FONT=comic sans ms][COLOR=#000000]"Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand." [/COLOR][/FONT]

#15 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

PJWalters is an interesting pitcher as he's been a strikeout pitcher throughout his minor league career (8.5k/9IP.....735 innings) as well as (7.1k/9IP...51IP) in majors. He's not a hard thrower(87-90mph) but has gotten the job done

#16 tpb8

tpb8

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Because he has played the best defense of any Twin so far and the staff values that. I think he needs to be on the field somewhere, whether its 2B, SS, or 3B. Out defense is so ****ty everywhere else.

Don't we already know what Carroll is? He's a solid defender and a quality utility infielder. It's time to find out exactly what Trevor Plouffe is. We're looking toward next year and the years to come. Don't we need to know if Plouffe is a guy we're going to hang on to? Giving Carroll the bulk of the playing time at 3B is pointless. Spotting him all over the infield as the utility man is fine. Plouffe needs to play.

#17 StormJH1

StormJH1

• Members
  • 472 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 04:09 PM

Don't we already know what Carroll is? He's a solid defender and a quality utility infielder. It's time to find out exactly what Trevor Plouffe is. We're looking toward next year and the years to come. Don't we need to know if Plouffe is a guy we're going to hang on to? Giving Carroll the bulk of the playing time at 3B is pointless. Spotting him all over the infield as the utility man is fine. Plouffe needs to play.

I second this. I'm fine with Jamey Carroll being on the team, he's actually quite useful. But I wasn't fine with two years and I wasn't fine with making him the starter when he should have been latching on for whatever utility role he could find in the league. Just because Roy Hobbs started mashing homeruns at age 40, I don't think Jamey Carroll is going to...

How's about we start doing some inventory and seeing if Plouffe is the next Valencia or the next something else?

#18 DJSim22

DJSim22

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:19 PM

Give Plouffe the 3B job.....or any job....for one month and see how he does. Please.

Why would we want Carroll to take playing time at 3B? A 38 yr. old punchless .200 hitter? No thanks. A utility role is perfect for him.

Calling up Mastroianni must mean that Plouffe is going to be seeing a lot of time at 3B. it also probably means that Parmelee is going to AAA when Morneau comes back.

If Plouffe wants a chance, he better get his head in the game. Letting a ball drop in and running right into a double play is little league ball at best.

#19 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:09 AM

If Plouffe wants a chance, he better get his head in the game. Letting a ball drop in and running right into a double play is little league ball at best.

I agree with this. I have seen a number of plays where it seemed to me that Plouffe did not have his head in the game.

#20 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,092 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:22 AM

Hopefully Valencia gets it together so that in a week Morneau and Valencia return and Parmelee and either Gray or Swarzak are sent down.

#21 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 9,519 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 12 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

Hopefully Valencia gets it together so that in a week Morneau and Valencia return and Parmelee and either Gray or Swarzak are sent down.

Do you think a week in AAA will do the trick?

#22 Top Gun

Top Gun

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 12:47 PM

Twins sent Matt Maloney outright to Triple-A Rochester. Maloney cleared waivers after being designated for assignment earlier this week. He posted a 8.18 ERA in nine appearances with the Twins and will accept a role as organizational depth