Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Article: Trade Candidate: Kevin Correia

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Nelson

Nick Nelson

Owner

• Administrators
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:13 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...e-Kevin-Correia

#2 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:31 PM

Correia's arm has always been heathy in his 12 year career. I appreciate the hard work he must have put in to remain healthy throughout his career. Noting his his health, he has been on the DL twice. Both times it was the oblique. There were two other times where he had a short stint listed DTD.

His reliably healthy arm must have some value to a team struggling with injuries to their rotation.

The return won't be exciting, but the a Twins should be able to move him.

#3 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:24 AM

I just hope they get some young arm from A ball or lower instead of any kind of AAAA player. Top hope could be a Aaron Slegers caliber pitcher.

#4 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:47 AM

I just hope they get some young arm from A ball or lower instead of any kind of AAAA player. Top hope could be a Aaron Slegers caliber pitcher.

Rather see them take a long shot on a low baller than a more certain depth/filler guy? (no sarcasm intended)

#5 JustcallupSANO

JustcallupSANO

• Members
  • 18 posts
  • LocationFort Myers, FL

Posted 23 July 2014 - 05:47 AM

we could package him up with a reliever and possibly get a more valuable prospect.

#6 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:01 AM

we could package him up with a reliever and possibly get a more valuable prospect.

The best part of a KC trade is clearing a spot for May or Meyer. Although I suppose it is not a lock they come up because the Twins made odd decisions.

#7 troyhobbs

troyhobbs

• Members
  • 180 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:47 AM

The best part of a KC trade is clearing a spot for May or Meyer. Although I suppose it is not a lock they come up because the Twins made odd decisions.

I would agree that you move him to simply get him out of the way. I'm in the fire sale camp, the Twins need to look at what they have in their youth and respond accordingly this off season because presently, everyone is replaceable.

#8 Oldgoat_MN

Oldgoat_MN

• Members
  • 686 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

Logan Darnell has pitched very well in AAA, but doesn't inspire many that he can succeed in MLB.
Moving KC would give us a chance to see what Darnell, and perhaps also Johnson, can do.

Might as well give them their shot this year. If they cannot cut it then we already know that going into next year. A wise move, unless they've already written off next year, too.

#9 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

Which player is more valuable: Kevin Correia or Drew Butera?

#10 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

Let me answer my own question - Career WAR: 6.7 vs. -0.8.

If Drew could net a Sulbaran, hopefully KC can net something. Anything?

#11 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,771 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Rather see them take a long shot on a low baller than a more certain depth/filler guy? (no sarcasm intended)

Yes. 1000 times yes. No more filler is needed, this team needs to clear 40-man space, not add to it. I'd rather just DFA Correia than take back another Pedro Hernandez or Kris Johnson. Any AAAA filler taken back will just take the spot that should got to Meyer, who should be in the rotation now no matter if he still has some rough edges.

#12 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

I would agree that you move him to simply get him out of the way.

If someone else is willing to eat his remaining salary, I'd probably give him away like we did with Jamey Carroll last year. Given Correia's history, though, even that might be tough sell -- guys who are barely worth rotation/roster spots on a bad team are rarely seen as worthy or a rotation/roster spot on a contending team.

We already have one permanent open rotation spot (the Pino spot), or two if Nolasco is sidelined for awhile yet (or if Gibson misses more than 1 start, I suppose). And Florimon is still on the 40-man roster and out of options next spring, so there is your 40-man roster opening. Correia isn't blocking anyone at the moment.

#13 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

The trade deadline is as much about supply as it is about WAR.

Butera had some value that Correia can not bring. He had an option so the Dodgers did not have to make a 25 man roster decision. He is a good defensive catcher and that is a skill that is not easy to find at the replacement level. Eric Fryer is closer to a replacement level catcher with middling defense and poor bat. Drew's positional scarcity, defense and experience might give him more trade value than the Twins will find in a number 5 starter.

Any team trading for Correia will need to clear a 40 man spot. The best the Twins can get get might be that player near the bottom of the 40.

In that case, do you take the player or keep Correia?

#14 Brock Beauchamp

Brock Beauchamp

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,882 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

In that case, do you take the player or keep Correia?

I'm all for holding on to guys if the return isn't good but Correia needs to go, if only to clear 25- and 40-man roster space.

#15 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 1,354 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

I believe a roster spot will be cleared within a week--Matt Guerrier. That would allow the Twins to keep Correia until 5 healthy bodies are found to man the rotation for the rest of the year.

#16 spanman2

spanman2

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

Trade him in a heartbeat no questions asked. He is what he is. On a legit contending team he is a 5 starter at best. He isnt awful he just isn't what this team needs given where they are in regards to contending. Let the kids come up and see what they have. Take whatever prospect you can get and roll with it. Even if the Twins decided they wanted to re-sign him he would command at least the 5 million per year he has been making. Makes no sense to but you never know with our Twins.

Edited by spanman2, 23 July 2014 - 10:21 AM.

#17 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 341 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:25 AM

"guys who are barely worth rotation/roster spots on a bad team are rarely seen as worthy or a rotation/roster spot on a contending team." It happens though. Correia has a 4 ERA the past month. The only team that has no pitcher in their top 5 with an ERA north of 4 is Washington. Some have the 5th starter near 5. Justin Verlander has an ERA of 4.84. Maybe we can work out a trade. I wouldn't expect to get a lot for him but I imagine there are contending teams that would be interested. For the 87 WS champion Twins he would have been much better than the 4th and below starters. 4 might be the league average but it is made up of a lot of 5's to offset the 3's.

#18 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

This whole situation is puzzling. Regardless of whether or not Correia stays the Twins have basically raised the white flag. They are 45-54 and have the 7th worst record in MLB (3rd worst in the AL). Barring an absolute miracle this team has ZERO chance at a division title or the playoffs.

What's the point of marching Pino and Johnson onto the field, start after start? These two are AAAA starters at best and it already shows. You'd think that they would want to take a look at May and see if he can hit the ground running (similar to Gibson 2013), going into next season.

He's already 24 going on 25 and not a youngster in AAA anymore. How long are they going to wait? Why not give him the 8-10 starts this season and see what he can do at the major league level. After all he's thrown 150+ innings each of the past three seasons and is having a fantastic year in AAA Rochester.

What is the Twin's FO afraid of? The only thing I can think of is that they are trying to protect his arm while giving starters ahead of him (Darnell, Johnson and Pino) a first crack at the majors. Not only is this a display of paranoia its just plain stupid. May is not Liriano and is a much more refined pitcher. He has 4 + pitches for cripes sake.

This is getting ridiculous. Correia is just a distraction and taking up valuable space in the rotation along with Pino and Johnson. If GilMartin gets the call before May, I'll be seriously ticked off.

Edited by laloesch, 23 July 2014 - 10:40 AM.

#19 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

• Members
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

Correia needs to go for nothing more than fan's psyche! May and Meyer will likely not be instantly better than Correia, but it signals a glimpse at his potential and even if/when they fail, it will have some "WOW" moments of 97-99 mph heat and maybe even a game or two of double digit K's to go along with the clunker or two they throw. Correia provides no hope to this fan base. May and Meyer at least gives us something to buy a ticket or watch on TV: HOPE!

#20 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

"guys who are barely worth rotation/roster spots on a bad team are rarely seen as worthy or a rotation/roster spot on a contending team." It happens though. Correia has a 4 ERA the past month. The only team that has no pitcher in their top 5 with an ERA north of 4 is Washington. Some have the 5th starter near 5. Justin Verlander has an ERA of 4.84. Maybe we can work out a trade. I wouldn't expect to get a lot for him but I imagine there are contending teams that would be interested. For the 87 WS champion Twins he would have been much better than the 4th and below starters. 4 might be the league average but it is made up of a lot of 5's to offset the 3's.

I know this isn't what you meant but I'd trade Correia for Verlander in a heartbeat.

Someone will want to add a guy like Correia, but no one is going to want to give back much value. It will really depend on how low of an offer Terry Ryan will accept.

#21 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 474 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:35 AM

This gives me some hope that he can be traded. I really don't care what the return is as long as it is someone that does not take up a 40 man spot.

#22 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

I will suggest most trades are not based on one month ERA samples. If you can find a comparable to Correia who has been a deadline deal in the past, I will gladly listen.

#23 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

I'm all for holding on to guys if the return isn't good but Correia needs to go, if only to clear 25- and 40-man roster space.

So you'd just cut Correia on July 31, if there is no offer better than some other team's fringe 40-man castoff?

EDIT: I guess if they are willing to pick up Correia's salary, you could get the fringe 40-man guy and just run him through waivers right away. (I suspect between the roster spot, the salary, and the marginal performance record, any scenario where we don't pay Correia's last 2 months salary is somewhat unlikely.)

If no one is willing to eat the salary... do you cut him then?

Edited by spycake, 23 July 2014 - 10:48 AM.

#24 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:56 AM

So you'd just cut Correia on July 31, if there is no offer better than some other team's fringe 40-man castoff?

Personally, I'd hang onto Correia if there are no decent offers by 7/31. May can take the revolving door #5 spot in the rotation at any time, Meyer can be added if Correia gets moved in August.

I'd consider cutting Correia only if he's still not traded by the end of August, just to add Meyer to the 40 Man - though someone else (might) already be moved by then.

Can't say it enough times, the return should be someone that doesn't take up space on the 40 Man roster, that's the whole point of trading Correia in the first place, to make room for the younger guys.

#25 AM.

AM.

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

I will suggest most trades are not based on one month ERA samples. If you can find a comparable to Correia who has been a deadline deal in the past, I will gladly listen.

Not really. Bud Norris? Wandy Rodriguez?

#26 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 5,188 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

I'd eat his salary and get the best A ball player I could, but Brock's right...he needs to go.

#27 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

Personally, I'd hang onto Correia if there are no decent offers by 7/31. May can take the revolving door #5 spot in the rotation at any time, Meyer can be added if Correia gets moved in August.

I'd consider cutting Correia only if he's still not traded by the end of August, just to add Meyer to the 40 Man - though someone else (might) already be moved by then.

Can't say it enough times, the return should be someone that doesn't take up space on the 40 Man roster, that's the whole point of trading Correia in the first place, to make room for the younger guys.

With Nolasco down and Deduno seemingly permanently demoted to the bullpen, you'd think that May could get a revolving door spot start. That said he just returned from the oblique injury and only was allowed to pitch three innings in his last start.

I can understand the front office's reluctance with Meyer as he is slowly being built up from that shoulder injury he suffered a few years ago and he has a bit of ways to go before he's ready to start at the major league level.

In fact I wouldn't be surprised at all if we don't see him in September. That said, there is absolutely NO excuse not to call up May sometime in early August.

#28 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:20 AM

Not really. Bud Norris? Wandy Rodriguez?

Right. While no star, Norris was better, younger, and had 2+ seasons of control left. Rodriguez was much better and was under contract for 2+ more seasons too (albeit at a larger salary).

#29 jorgenswest

jorgenswest

• Members
  • 1,618 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:31 AM

Jason Marquis for Zach Walters?

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 11:51 AM

Jason Marquis for Zach Walters?

Interesting, although Marquis career ERA+ at the time (and current season ERA+) was basically the same as Correia's peak ERA+. If Correia was having his 2013 season, or could reliably replicate his 2013 season, that would obviously improve his trade value (although it would obviously improve his value to the Twins too!).

Livan Hernandez is another guy I thought of, he was having a bad season for the Twins, but his career ERA+ was again as good as Correia's peak.

Ramon Ortiz might be a decent one -- a much better peak and slightly better career numbers, but he had a multi-season run of poor pitching at the time of his trade. His salary was about half that of Correia.

Both Hernandez and Ortiz were dumped on the same team (the Rockies) as August deals (Hernandez was simply surrendered on waivers). Both were also pretty surprising at the time, which doesn't bode well for predicting future similar deals!