Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/22): One Great Hamburger

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cody Christie

Cody Christie

Twins Contributor

• Twins Writers
  • 897 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:06 PM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...Great-Hamburger

#2 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 891 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:55 PM

Thanks for the continued updates. Just why is Virgil Vasquez, at 32, still taking up a spot in AA New Britain? AA! Couldn't this spot be better filled by someone with a future? Is there a reason for this that makes this reasonable?

#3 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 603 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

Thanks for the continued updates. Just why is Virgil Vasquez, at 32, still taking up a spot in AA New Britain? AA! Couldn't this spot be better filled by someone with a future? Is there a reason for this that makes this reasonable?

I was wondering the same thing. There appears to be a couple of guys in A+ that could\should be moved up. Then you could shuffle appropriately from there. Virgil is an OK pitcher but if he is 32 and if he is blocking guys why not cut him loose or put him in the bullpen or something. Let's see what some of these younger guys have before they turn 32.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,644 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

Vasquez was the EL Pitcher of the Week, I believe, two weeks in a row about 2 weeks ago. Vasquez is a guy that has so much respect by teammates that he's a good guy to have around. He could be at AAA. I generally don't have a huge problem with guys like that being on rosters.

#5 Major Leauge Ready

Major Leauge Ready

• Members
  • 530 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

Vasquez was the EL Pitcher of the Week, I believe, two weeks in a row about 2 weeks ago. Vasquez is a guy that has so much respect by teammates that he's a good guy to have around. He could be at AAA. I generally don't have a huge problem with guys like that being on rosters.

It's never that simple. It is nice to have minor league that can set an example an mentor younger players. Also, it seems reasonable that the FO is planning on having an at AAA very soon. Let's hope that comes in the form of Correia being traded and May getting promoted. Vasquez to Rochester.

#6 Siehbiscuit

Siehbiscuit

• Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

I agree with you Seth. Having a good veteran around the younger kids (prospect or not) gives them some leadership that is different from their coaches. These types can teach the younger players how to be a professional, encourage through adversity, etc. Sometimes hearing correction or leadership from a peer carries as much or more than from a coach. Coaches are supposed to talk "coach-speak," a player that does, chooses to.