Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Game Thread: Indians@Twins 7/22 7:10PM

• Please log in to reply
145 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,167 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:23 AM

Game-time forecast: Mostly sunny. Winds blowing out to right field at 10-15 m.p.h. Temperature around 80.

I just couldn't wait to get game thread up... ChiTown has to wait to post the lineups.

Chi here. And I'm still waiting. You'd think they'd get these things up 5 hours in advance, but nooooooo ... but the game-time weather forecast is up. :)

INDIANS:
SP, Salazar

Kipnis 2B
Dickerson FL
Brantley CF
Santana 1B
Chisenhall 3B
Swisher DH
Gomes C
Murphy RF
Aviles SS

TWINS:
SP, Pino

Santana CF
Dozier 2B
Plouffe 3B
Morales 1B
Willingham DH
Suzuki C
Arcia RF
Escobar SS
Fuld LF

------------------------------------------------------

Things to Think About:

1. Entire Week -- They won last night... Prior to last night... They hadn't won a game since July 13... They went an entire week without winning a game. How a team can go an entire week without winning a game... I have no idea. It's almost like they are not trying. A week... How can a team do that. Wait... Oh yeah... The All Star Break. That makes more sense... Never mind. The Twins went 3 days without a win. How can a team go 3 days without winning a game?

2. Danny Salazar -- He's a young 24 year old right hander out of Santo Domingo in the Dominican Republic. Almost a million people live in Santo Domingo... If you include the surrounding area the population is around 2 million. Kind of Like... There are more people living in Duluth if you include Cloquet. Salazar made his debut last year and immediately became an effective pitcher. In 52 innings of work he tossed an ERA of 3.12 while punching out 65 batters. This year... He is still punching guys out but Runs allowed have ballooned. He's been so sub par this year... He has actually thrown more innings in AAA. When I've seen him... He was a two pitch guy. A fastball that gets to the plate quick and a change of pace that drops down. I'm sure he throws a breaking pitch... I don't remember it. I just remember his upper 90's fastball and what happens when he pulls the string.

3. Hammer -- Gardy has been saying that Hammer has been starting to put better swings on the ball. Last night... He finally went deep... And deep at a key moment. Let's just say it... Hammer wasn't signed for his defensive ability... He was signed for his speed... He wasn't even signed for his BA... He was signed to hit the long ball and I think he owes us a few.

4. Kris Johnson -- He pitched well but he looked sad when being interviewed after the game. He could be sad because he didn't get the win... He might be sad because they informed him that he was going back to Rochester after the game. Too bad... It was a good performance from someone who was waiting for the chance to contribute a good performance. Nice Job Kris... Now go see the traveling secretary... You are going to Rochester. It's a tough game.

5. Wink Wink -- I was at work on Saturday getting some stuff done. My phone rings and it's my wife. I detected a different tone in her voice. A softer... Gentler tone... Almost sultry. And She Says... "You should come home... There's nobody here". That was basically all she said. I returned to working and thought... The tone... No real reason to call just to tell me the boys are gone. They are mobile... They are gone a lot. Boom... The lightbulb went on... And then I figured it out. I looked at what I had left and said... I can do this later. And I took off for home. She was right... There was nobody home. She had gone shopping as well... She really meant... There is nobody home.

Edited by ChiTownTwinsFan, 22 July 2014 - 03:35 PM.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#2 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,862 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 22 July 2014 - 03:17 PM

3. Hammer -- Gardy has been saying that Hammer has been starting to put better swings on the ball. Last night... He finally went deep... And deep at a key moment. Let's just say it... Hammer wasn't signed for his defensive ability... He was signed for his speed... He wasn't even signed for his BA... He was signed to hit the long ball and I think he owes us a few.

He also, let's just say it, was signed for his willingness to take less money than Michael Cuddyer.

5. Wink Wink -- I was at work on Saturday getting some stuff done. My phone rings and it's my wife. I detected a different tone in her voice. A softer... Gentler tone... Almost sultry. And She Says... "You should come home... There's nobody here". That was basically all she said. I returned to working and thought... The tone... No real reason to call just to tell me the boys are gone. They are mobile... They are gone a lot. Boom... The lightbulb went on... And then I figured it out. I looked at what I had left and said... I can do this later. And I took off for home. She was right... There was nobody home. She had gone shopping as well... She really meant... There is nobody home.

I trust that you made good use of this windfall.

#3 glunn

glunn

Head Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,512 posts
  • LocationBeverly Hills, CA

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:11 PM

Another day saving #5!

#4 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

Been up to my eyeballs in alligators this week, so no time for fun and frivolity. But I did read yesterday's game posts early this a.m., and must note that it is Super 8, not Motel 6, that was founded in Aberdeen, S.D. Sheesh. Get the numbers right, man. Almost ruined my enjoyment of our 5-4 victory.

Also, while waiting for church to start, I came across this joke that our chefs and other food lovers on TD might like:

ME: "I'll take Epicurean Beheadings for $1,000, Alex."

ALEX: "Oooo, good one, Circus Boy. For the lead, this famous play involves a chef who's executed when he doesn't add enough basil and sea salt to the king's fettecini."

ME: "What is 'A Man for All Seasonings'?"

ALEX: "Well played, Circus Boy. You own the board."

#5 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,167 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:12 PM

ME: "What is 'A Man for All Seasonings'?"

ALEX: "Well played, Circus Boy. You own the board."

Groan ...

#6 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

1-2-3 inning ... and away we go! :)

#7 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,167 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:21 PM

Just a little more oomph there, Dozier!

#8 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,167 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Just a little more oomph there, Dozier!

Wasted.

#9 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

Trying to work and watch the game at the same time ... it'll end up with more game watching in the end and less work accomplished.

#10 Circus Boy

Circus Boy

Grain Belt: "The Friendly Beer"

• Members
  • 398 posts
  • LocationHuron, SD

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:28 PM

Groan ...

Yes, it was a groaner. Things can only go up from here.

#11 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

You know, you just don't see a triple play much anymore!

#12 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,167 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:34 PM

You know, you just don't see a triple play much anymore!

I'll settle for that strike-out and a DP!

#13 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:36 PM

Sigh

#14 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,167 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

I'll settle for that strike-out and a DP!

Jinxed that.

Sorry.

#15 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 2,004 posts
  • LocationCanada City

...and we're screwed.

#16 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:37 PM

Any left handlers warming up?

#17 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,167 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:38 PM

I just learned something I never knew before .... they have GameDay for minor league games.

Went to look at the Rock Cats score and discovered I could click on GameDay:
http://www.milb.com/..._1&mode=gameday

Rosario having a great night .... 2 HR and a double.

#18 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,167 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:44 PM

#19 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:45 PM

Catch up time!

#20 D. Hocking

D. Hocking

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:50 PM

Yes, it was a groaner. Things can only go up from here.

Never underestimate the ability of being able to find new depths and low levels on the game thread. Things can always go lower.

#21 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:51 PM

Ok-no triple play. How about a grand slam?

#22 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Okay, Mr. Stanford ... get it done!

#23 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 2,004 posts
  • LocationCanada City

C'mon you DFA pickup!

#24 GCTF

GCTF

so very tired

• Members
  • 2,004 posts
  • LocationCanada City

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

Suddenly this guy remembers where the strike zone is.

#25 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:52 PM

Never underestimate the ability of being able to find new depths and low levels on the game thread. Things can always go lower.

Yep, it's just one big game of limbo.

#26 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:53 PM

Ugh

#27 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Come on! Geez.

#28 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:55 PM

Crap

#29 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,167 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

I can't take it ....

#30 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

• Twins Mods
  • 6,578 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 06:56 PM

Well, that inning was motivation to get back to work.