Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Vikings Journal Forums

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Get to Know: The Mayor, Tommy Watkins

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:49 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...-Know-The-Mayor

#2 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:14 PM

Great piece about one of the true good guys in the game, Seth.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#3 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:25 PM

Wonderful article, Seth! Looking forward to many more!

#4 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,879 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

Wow, Seth ... what a great piece. Definitely worthy of being in any newspaper.

How do you see the career paths progressing for Watkins and Mauer? Any timelines in mind?

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

Interesting question, and kind of impossible to answer because it depends on what happens above. But I definitely see both of them being candidates for the next coaching staff (with Mauer being a legit managerial candidate). Watkins may get an opportunity to manage for a few years in the minor leagues and then move up when needed. I think he deserves that shot. The current coaching staff is getting to 60 now, so even if they are all retained after their current contracts are up, they could be done in 5-6 years.

#6 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 3,879 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

Thanks, Seth. There should be plenty of opportunities for both to "move up" in the next few years. Kind of like the idea of them growing together.

#7 DAM DC Twins Fans

DAM DC Twins Fans

• Members
  • 501 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

Great article Seth. I also like the idea of both moving up the Twins organization together. Maybe during the 2020s they will both be with the Twins...

#8 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 711 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 09:50 AM

I have to admit that there's a part of me that thinks Jake and Tommy will end up on a MLB staff together one day, but it won't be the Twins. I'm not sure that would necessarily be a bad thing.

If they are in Minnesota, there will always be an uninformed, yet very vocal, segment of the fan base that will scream about it being a nepotism thing. It may be much easier for Jake to get credit for being good coaching/managing material on his own if he's out from under Joe's shadow. If that ever did happen, I think he'd try hard to recruit Tommy to go with him to whatever staff he ended up with. They seem to work well together.

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

Very good point SDBuhr... There would unfortunately be that uninformed segment that would think that. Jake and Tommy (and you see them more than I do) are very good, smart baseball people who have a passion for what they do. They are deserving, at least in time.

#10 Wyorev

Wyorev

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:43 PM

Thanks Seth!
Baseball has some great people, and "The Mayor" seems to be among the best.
I really liked the story of his teammates cheering when Tommy got his call up - that says a lot.
That was a great read, Seth, one of the gifts of TD is reading about the many aspects of a team.

#11 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,562 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:20 PM

I appreciate that. Thanks for the comments!

#12 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:03 AM

Seth, Thank you for such an inspirational story about a really nice person. I really enjoy reading these articles about members of the Twins family. TD has allowed me to see the Twins as more than those currently on the 25 man ML roster. TD has opened up a whole new world of the Twins minor league players and personnel. I enjoy the articles about the other employees who also help make the Twins such a big part of my life. Thank you and all of the TD writers.