Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

From MinnCentric

Photo

Max Murphy

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:35 PM

At some point the Twins just have to throw their hands in the air and say "OK, Max, here's your ticket to Cedar Rapids"

Right?

About 30 games in and his average is hanging around 400. OBP a bit north of 500. OPS around 1.300.

Leads the league in BA, OBP, SLG, OPS, Runs, BB, HR, and is 2nd in RBI

#2 iceslick

iceslick

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:46 PM

It would be nice to see him get the chance and if he performs well there a start in Ft Myers next spring!

#3 amjgt

amjgt

• Members
  • 660 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

CR could certainly use a little influx of offense, but I wonder if the Twins like having him bat right after Gordon at E-town

#4 Jaykay

Jaykay

• Members
  • 181 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:26 PM

CR could certainly use a little influx of offense, but I wonder if the Twins like having him bat right after Gordon at E-town

That could be part of it, but it's certainly not a good enough reason to keep a kid down who's hitting like he is.

#5 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:36 PM

Yeah he needs to be promoted to play at an appropriate competition level. He is really dominating.

#6 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:00 PM

At some point the Twins just have to throw their hands in the air and say "OK, Max, here's your ticket to Cedar Rapids"

Right?

About 30 games in and his average is hanging around 400. OBP a bit north of 500. OPS around 1.300.

Leads the league in BA, OBP, SLG, OPS, Runs, BB, HR, and is 2nd in RBI

I think you answered your own question right there at the end. Leading the league in everything EXCEPT merely 2nd in RBI. If he can get those RBI numbers up to where they're comparable to the rest of what he's doing, then maybe he'll get that promotion.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,127 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:32 PM

I think the move is to get Buxton up to New Britain, then Jason Kanzler up to Ft. Myers, and then Max Murphy can go up to Cedar Rapids.

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 10:41 PM

Well there's a solution for that too :)

#9 Thegrin

Thegrin

• Members
  • 723 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 22 July 2014 - 01:06 AM

29 games, 98 at bats = small sample size.

#10 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:22 AM

29 games, 98 at bats = small sample size.

It may be a small sample size, but it's large enough for a college bat in rookie ball. He's striking out quite a bit, but when you are raking otherwise it doesn't really matter. He needs to face more advanced competition so that he can start making necessary adjustments.

#11 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:50 AM

Doesn't there always have to be a college draftee to light up the Appy League and get everyone excited until you no longer hear from him in a year?
Papers...business papers.

#12 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:55 AM

I think the move is to get Buxton up to New Britain, then Jason Kanzler up to Ft. Myers, and then Max Murphy can go up to Cedar Rapids.

I get that Kanzler is playing well, but why him and not JD Williams? His past performances should be enough to at least get him back to high A (Ft. Myers). Has Williams fallin off that much since last spring? If he didn't get hurt in Spring Training he would have been in Ft. Myers (100%).

Kepler is in CF for Ft. Myers so why would they bring in Kanzler to spot play when he is getting reps everyday in CR? Harrison in LF and Walker in RF and Roberts also spot playing in the OF.

#13 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 837 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:58 AM

I can see Max going to CR though, without promoting anyone else (OF) in CR. He is mashing in ETown.

#14 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:58 AM

Sad Burh wrote: "I think you answered your own question right there at the end. Leading the league in everything EXCEPT merely 2nd in RBI."

i'm not familiar enough with your writing to know if this was a serious comment. I assume it was I tongue in cheek and I like it. I have always assumed that promotions, particularly up from the lower levels are based as much on management's expectations for a player as his actual production. This is not a comment on the Twins, but baseball in general.

#15 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:23 AM

Yes, Sad Burh definitely had his tongue planted firmly in cheek with that comment.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#16 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,127 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

Good point about Kepler being in CF for the Miracle, and he needs to play. Kanzler needs to play every day. Murphy should play every day. So, the way to do it is for them to all stay where they are. It's best for them to get to play every day than sit a lot in the low levels.

Maybe this was a good lesson for all of us. Have to sometimes look at the bigger picture before jumping to promotions.

#17 drivlikejehu

drivlikejehu

• Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Good point about Kepler being in CF for the Miracle, and he needs to play. Kanzler needs to play every day. Murphy should play every day. So, the way to do it is for them to all stay where they are. It's best for them to get to play every day than sit a lot in the low levels.

Maybe this was a good lesson for all of us. Have to sometimes look at the bigger picture before jumping to promotions.

Why does Kanzler need to play CF every day? Cedar Rapids in general is low on legit position player prospects... finding at bats should be very easy.