Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Rusney Castillo

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#21 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 5,837 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:24 AM

Darren WolfsonVerified account @DarrenWolfson

No shock: the #MNTwins are NOT one of the teams trying to line up a private workout w/ Cuban FA OF Rusney Castillo. They like. $$ too high.

5:19 PM - 28 Jul 2014

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#22 iTwins

iTwins

• Members
  • 402 posts
  • LocationNorth of Missouri, South of Minnesota
  • Twitter: Trimbletj

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

Darren WolfsonVerified account @DarrenWolfson

No shock: the #MNTwins are NOT one of the teams trying to line up a private workout w/ Cuban FA OF Rusney Castillo. They like. $$ too high.

5:19 PM - 28 Jul 2014

Sadly, I'm not surprised. As soon as I read the reports of a bidding war and the asking price climbing, I knew the Twins would drop out. Yeah, many of these Cuban players are a gamble and dropping a lot of cash to sign one could turn out very badly - but I'd love it if the Twins DID gamble every now and again.

• Winston Smith likes this

#23 Willihammer

Willihammer

Nostrombolimus

• Members
  • 5,837 posts
  • LocationSaint Paul

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:35 AM

IMO that uncertainty, or gamble, is the perfect opening for a mid-market team to strike it big. I'm not saying Castillo is the guy to make a move on (I am more intrigued by Tomas personally) but they need to get a slice of this action before the rules change. Heck even the A's got a Cuban

Edited by Willihammer, 29 July 2014 - 08:35 AM.

Well, there's that.

-Dark Star, RIP

#24 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:40 AM

If they can throw millions of dollars down a well for multiple years of Mike Pelfrey, why not spend $$ on a Free Agent that's still in his prime? The Twins' payroll is shrinking as they are getting younger - why not spend a little now?

#25 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

2 + 2 = 5

• Members
  • 2,326 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

Everybody loves to hate Bill Smith and he really had his faults but he did as promised when Target Field was built and that was spend some money.

Now with Terryback in charge we're back to penny pinching and that promised 52% of revenue is long gone. This is a chance to get a player that could help us a lot and for only money. No need to trade prospects for the guy just money. Anyone really think Jim Pohlad and Twins don't have plenty of money to spend if they really wanted to improve this team?

• Mike Sixel likes this

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else.

Yogi Berra

#26 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Twins Mods
  • 7,966 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:51 AM

Frustrating for sure.Cuban free agents have been the safest gamble in terms of production the last half decade.Of the bigger named players, how many have bombed so far?Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, anyone else?I'm sure there are more but still great odds considering the bust rate of all other avenues for getting talent.

Of course after years of our sports teams getting kicked in the berries repeatedly, I'm sure many of you feel the same as me.When the Twins finally do sign a Cuban for decent money, he'll be the guy who completely falls on his face.

• LaBombo likes this

25 under 30 ™

#27 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 09:19 AM

Well, there's always the risk that the player just doesn't meet the level of ML competition - the Twins know that all too well (Nishioka).

Several recent players from Cuba have made the transition from Serie Nacional to the Majors look easy - but it's never a sure thing.

I think it's worth taking a shot, though the Twins may have already missed out on the best options ( Cespedes, Puig, and Abreu ).

#28 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 15,265 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

shocker, really, a true shocker TR won't pay for Cubans. I mean, he did the last few years, when great players were sitting there, right?

This team is shedding 10s of millions in the offseason, and they can't afford this guy? Bill Smith gets too much hate, imo. he at least tried.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#29 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 8,986 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

Of the bigger named players, how many have bombed so far?Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, anyone else?

Even Gonzalez wasn't that bad of a bomb -- he eventually signed for just 3 years, $12 million with a vesting option.

#30 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 8,986 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:54 AM

Everybody loves to hate Bill Smith and he really had his faults but he did as promised when Target Field was built and that was spend some money.

To be fair, outside of the Sano deal (and to a lesser extent Kepler), Smith didn't really spend much either when it necessitated bidding on an open market.  Most of his spending was contract extensions with a few lower-level free agent deals, much like TR.

That seems to be TR's big bugaboo -- he avoids any player acquisition method that requires bidding, regardless of player quality.  Cuba, Japan, pre-slotting drafts, pre-capped international guys -- TR has or is currently avoiding these like the plague, even though they have or previously had some of the best rates of return.

Even for his biggest domestic free agent signing to date (Nolasco), TR targeted and got the least-regarded guy in the group seeking 4- to 5-year deals, seemingly because he was the most willing to sign early.  And of course, all of his other FA deals have mostly been from the relative bargain bin, where the negotiating advantage is decidedly with the teams rather than the players.

It was encouraging to see us at least mentioned late in the Garza and Ervin Santana sweepstakes, but those were fairly long-shot offers -- until he converts on one of them, it's hard to give him much credit.

Edited by spycake, 29 July 2014 - 11:55 AM.

• LaBombo and Dman like this

#31 SwainZag

SwainZag

• Members
  • 1,593 posts
  • LocationMontana

Posted 29 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

How about we wait and see what the guy actually signs for before throwing TR under a bus.....again.  

• birdwatcher likes this

#32 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,494 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

To be fair, outside of the Sano deal (and to a lesser extent Kepler), Smith didn't really spend much either when it necessitated bidding on an open market.  Most of his spending was contract extensions with a few lower-level free agent deals, much like TR.

That seems to be TR's big bugaboo -- he avoids any player acquisition method that requires bidding, regardless of player quality.  Cuba, Japan, pre-slotting drafts, pre-capped international guys -- TR has or is currently avoiding these like the plague, even though they have or previously had some of the best rates of return.

Even for his biggest domestic free agent signing to date (Nolasco), TR targeted and got the least-regarded guy in the group seeking 4- to 5-year deals, seemingly because he was the most willing to sign early.  And of course, all of his other FA deals have mostly been from the relative bargain bin, where the negotiating advantage is decidedly with the teams rather than the players.

It was encouraging to see us at least mentioned late in the Garza and Ervin Santana sweepstakes, but those were fairly long-shot offers -- until he converts on one of them, it's hard to give him much credit.

Good point on how TR avoids the bidding process. I am guessing that is why he was so enamored with 2 year deals for Corriea and Pelfrey.By offering two year deals to these guys, we ensured we were the only ones bidding.

Edited by tobi0040, 29 July 2014 - 12:04 PM.

#33 DaveW

DaveW

<3 Mark Derosa <3

• Members
  • 10,315 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:17 PM

How about we wait and see what the guy actually signs for before throwing TR under a bus.....again.  

+1 to this.

At the end of the day, while the Twins have plenty of holes moving forward, CF is likely not one of them. Additionally they have some nice OF depth as well moving forward: Buxton, Arcia, Sano (if he doesn't stick at 3rd), Rosario, Hicks etc

Spending a ton of money on a CF wouldn't make much sense at this point...now if Rusney was a 98 MPH throwing starter....then I could see it.

• birdwatcher likes this

"1 out of 17 ain't bad"

#34 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 15,265 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:20 PM

So ignore that he has passed on every Cuban up until now? Right now, they have zero proven OF on the roster. If all it costs is money, he should be buying players.

I don't know, it is a site to discuss sports, not airline safety.....maybe we should take it less seriously?

#35 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

Now with Terryback in charge we're back to penny pinching and that promised 52% of revenue is long gone. This is a chance to get a player that could help us a lot and for only money. No need to trade prospects for the guy just money. Anyone really think Jim Pohlad and Twins don't have plenty of money to spend if they really wanted to improve this team?

Probably not as much money as you think. As evidenced by the competitive draft pick, they did receive revenue sharing money this year, which puts them in the bottom 12 of revenues of all teams. This is primarily driven by the fact their TV deal is so poor - less than 20% the value of the top 5-6 teams.

Papers...business papers.

#36 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:14 PM

Frustrating for sure.Cuban free agents have been the safest gamble in terms of production the last half decade.Of the bigger named players, how many have bombed so far?Miguel Alfredo Gonzalez, anyone else?I'm sure there are more but still great odds considering the bust rate of all other avenues for getting talent.

Of course after years of our sports teams getting kicked in the berries repeatedly, I'm sure many of you feel the same as me.When the Twins finally do sign a Cuban for decent money, he'll be the guy who completely falls on his face.

Alex Guerrero and Erisbel Arruebarruena are two big money guys that come immediately to mind. There are lots of big money Cuban guys in the minors that are far from sure things to do anything.

We remember the handful of guys that do well and ignore the big money guys who we never hear from again. Calling them the "safest gamble" is probably not accurate.

I'm not saying don't sign anyone, but proper perspective is appropriate.

• birdwatcher likes this
Papers...business papers.

#37 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 15,265 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 01:28 PM

The rule here seems to be, don't sign any of them.

#38 kab21

kab21

• Members
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 10:10 PM

We know this in hindsight but dropping 40-60+M on guys that haven't played MLB was a big gamble before there was much of an established track record.

• birdwatcher likes this

Is 2016 the year that a good pitching prospect is truly blocked by 5 good pitchers in the starting rotation? And the answer is NOPE!

#39 Kirby_waved_at_me

Kirby_waved_at_me

• Members
  • 2,140 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:42 AM

Rusney to Red Sox in a record deal (for a Cuban defector)$72MM!

http://www.mlbtrader...th-red-sox.html

Edited by Kirby_waved_at_me, 22 August 2014 - 09:45 AM.

#40 Mike Sixel

Mike Sixel

Now Living in Oregon

• Members
  • 15,265 posts

Posted 22 August 2014 - 09:58 AM

Shocking they did not sign him here. Just not enough money to sign a single Cuban the last 4 or 5 years I guess, what with all the high priced talent they already have....