Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/20): Quality Starting

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:54 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...uality-Starting

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#2 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:48 AM

The Miracle are quietly putting together an excellent 2nd half. They have won 9 of 10 and have found ways to win. The 17 inning game has been there only recent slip up and they went 17 innings without an error. They have shown great mental discipline lately. It has been a collection of players leading the charge as well:
Michael Gonzalez has something like a 12 or 14 game hitting streak
Travis Harrison has been the most consistent hitter this half and doubles machine
Stuart Turner is tremendousa behind the plate and slows down everyones run game
Aderlin Mejia has been extremely clutch with runners in scoring position
Dalton Hicks is starting to show why he led the minors in RBI again
Niko Goodrum has been asked to play out of position, yet sparks many a rally offensively
Adam Brett Walker although inconsistent this year still manages to spark rallies as well
Jorge Polanco is just Jorge - starting to get hot again.
Max Kepler although having a down year - has been beyond great with bases loaded
Nate Roberts is a doubles machine but can't seem to play everyday (health)
Buxton - enough said

Pitcing has been consistent. Matt Tomshaw will look to continue his magic tonight.

#3 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 832 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:52 AM

Where will Levi Michel go when he returns soon. I see he has been playing SS in GCL as well. Does this mean Polanco could move up to AA at SS or does Michel move up at SS?

#4 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:03 AM

I really was hoping to see better results from Cederoth. The team generally doesn't tinker with a lot of mechanics until after the first professional season though so hopdully we'll see something new next year.

I didn't realize that Adam Loewen was back to pitching. He gave it up about six years ago. He was at one time a top prospect and I can't remember why he gave up pitcing in the first place, his minor league numbers were solid and he really didn't get much of a chance in the majors. There's probably a good story out there about him somewhere.

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,107 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:33 AM

Yeah, this is the fourth time already this year that Loewen has faced New Britain (mixed results). He began with a couple of appearances in the Florida State League, and one of those was against the Miracle. He was a very good pitching prospect, and then he decided to become a hitter. Power, all-or-nothing, type of swing.

#6 Steve Lein

Steve Lein

Senior Member - MiLB Report Contributor

• Members
  • 730 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:59 AM

I didn't realize that Adam Loewen was back to pitching. He gave it up about six years ago. He was at one time a top prospect and I can't remember why he gave up pitcing in the first place, his minor league numbers were solid and he really didn't get much of a chance in the majors. There's probably a good story out there about him somewhere.

I'm actually glad someone else recognized that name! I actually had a note in there saying something along the lines of "(Look up Loewen's story and his career history, it's an interesting timeline)" but decided to take it out. Had surgery and switched to be a position player. Is now back again as a pitcher!

Scouting Report: Power: 30, Hitting: 50, Arm: 60, Defense: 40, Speed: 40. "Line drive swing and shows good contact and on-base abilities. Double's power at his peak. Strong arm from 2B or the OF, stiff hands. Not a fast runner, but above average instincts on the bases. Skinny body doesn't look the part, but can sneak up on you. ACL surgery sapped much of his athleticism." (Probably)

#7 Jaykay

Jaykay

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 21 July 2014 - 11:58 AM

Max Murphy is absolutely crushing. I think it's time to see what he can do at Cedar Rapids.

#8 Dman

Dman

• Members
  • 550 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:54 PM

Max Murphy is absolutely crushing. I think it's time to see what he can do at Cedar Rapids.

Yeah I think it is political. There is no one to move from Cedar Rapids and they are waiting for Zack to come back as well. Unless they are ready to promote someone to high A, Murphy is stuck. I agree it is past time to move him.

#9 DJL44

DJL44

• Members
  • 433 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:44 PM

There might be a ripple of moves coming
Hicks->AAA
Buxton->AA
Kanzler -> A+
Murphy->Cedar Rapids

#10 Jaykay

Jaykay

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 21 July 2014 - 01:51 PM

Different position, but Mitch Garver hit THREE home runs today. He could be in line for a promotion soon also.

#11 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:30 PM

I wonder if the Twins won't wait until they know whether they'll be adding any significant minor league pieces before making much for promotions.

Grapevine saying Larson now isn't as close to returning to CR as he was. Hammy re-tweaked maybe. He hasn't played a GCL rehab game in a few days.

I don't think Garver goes up unless Turner does, as well. Garver is certainly ready for high-A, especially with the bat, but he's now catching all but a game or two per week in CR and he won't get that kind of work behind the plate if he's on the same team as Turner.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~