Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Buxton vs. Correa

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,710 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:28 PM

BP had a debate on Buxton vs. Correa in their debate for number 1 overall. Good read.

http://www.baseballp...articleid=24070

#2 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,891 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:51 PM

BP had a debate on Buxton vs. Correa in their debate for number 1 overall. Good read.

http://www.baseballp...articleid=24070

Here's my takeaway:

[FONT=Arial]I will argue later that Buxton's tool-based ceiling is also higher than Correa's, [while Baez's tool-based ceiling is also higher than Correia's, but defnitely lower than Buxton's].....[/FONT]

Importantly, while there's no doubt that Buxton is major-league-ready in CF now, and likely will end up the top defensive OF in the game, all agree that Correia doesn't even have the SS position locked-up yet as his ultimate ML destination. Hometown bias, maybe, but it seems like a fully healthy Buxton hands-down should be #1.

#3 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:13 PM

What's the point of this discussion really, shouldn't we wait to see how they both perform when they become MLB players?

#4 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:25 PM

These kind of ratings don't mean much to me. The Twins had no chance to draft Correia so they took Buxton as the one they believed was the best talent available. That is looking pretty good so far. If others from draft end better, well good for them. So far anyway, Buxton looks like a good choice for the Twins. Sometimes I think the expectations for him are a bit unrealistic but it looks like the Twins got a good one. That is what is important going forward.

#5 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,915 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:26 PM

What's the point of this discussion really, shouldn't we wait to see how they both perform when they become MLB players?

No, because that's know fun. We'll know the answers then. Part of the fun of following prospects is comparing and contrasting and projecting and developing our own opinions.

Of course none of it really matters at the end of the day, but it's enjoyable to discuss.

#6 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 5,671 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:10 PM

This is the minor league thread. Really no point in talking about any of these guys if that was the criteria.

#7 AM.

AM.

Always in Moderation

• Members
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:03 PM

Why do we spend time debating the hall of fame cases of any player? Why do we debate anything sports related?

#8 B Richard

B Richard

• Members
  • 528 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:10 PM

A large portion of sports fandom is speculation. With the product the twins have on the field nowadays... it's probably the only way I derive enjoyment from the organization.

#9 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

My dumb ass read that as Buxton vs. Correia: wondering what there was to compare, or whether it would be "Buxton would hit .500," "no, he'd hit .600 against KC."