Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Recent Blogs

Photo

Delois Guerrera

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 jwb1226

jwb1226

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:24 AM

I see he pitched 2.1 innings, are they stretching him out to become a starter again?

#2 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

No, Guerra is used to working a couple innings.

http://www.milb.com/..._pbp&pid=500610

had a dozen innings in 7 games in AA. This is nothing new to him. And he's been quite effective.

#3 Thrylos

Thrylos

Yes

• Members
  • 4,286 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

Most relievers in the minors are usually pitching multiple innings; nothing out of the ordinary
-----
Blogging Twins since 2007 at The Tenth Inning Stretch
http://tenthinningst...h.blogspot.com/
twitter: @thrylos98

#4 Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed

• Members
  • 827 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

Look at this breaking ball, which is known to be quite good.

http://www.milb.com/...ent_id=21202131

#5 MileHighTwinsFan

MileHighTwinsFan

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 08:53 AM

Is it me or is the depth in relief pitching an emerging strength for the team? I would say the major league relievers have been one of the few bright spots and then we see the progress of Guerra, Slama, et. al. in the minors and it is beginning to look like this is one area of optimism for the club.

#6 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 2,752 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

Baseball America just had a little article on him: http://www.baseballa...ike-he-belongs/

#7 Neinstein

Neinstein

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

Hopefully Guerra continues to expode as a Reliever. He's pitching the way he used to a few years ago. Keep it up kid.
"You teach me baseball and I'll teach you relativity. No, we must not. You will learn about relativity faster than I learn baseball." [SIZE=2]​Albert Einstein[/SIZE]

#8 jwb1226

jwb1226

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:37 AM

Does anyone see them ever trying him as a starter again?

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 07:48 AM

Does anyone see them ever trying him as a starter again?

Nope. I really don't.

#10 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

problem with Guerra or Lester Oliveras or Kyle Waldrop is cracking the bullpen right now is tough. Capps/Burton/Perk/Duensing are locks & Burnett has been untouchable for 3 yrs (tho pitching well this yr) & Swarzak/Gray out of options. Gray is the obvious one, but I still think the organization like him (for some reason). Maybe when Liriano goes back to rotation, there is a spot open. How funny is it that a pitcher cannot crack this staff

#11 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,238 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:17 PM

Most relievers in the minors are usually pitching multiple innings; nothing out of the ordinary

Then they hit the majors, and mysteriously become incapable of doing so.

#12 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

Then they hit the majors, and mysteriously become incapable of doing so.

Incredible, isnt it

#13 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:04 PM

If you've watched Capps try to go two innings over the last three years it's hard to argue with the philosophy. Edit: After a detailed and well researched review of Capps career numbers, I've determined that Capps surprisingly does not perform well in 1 inning appearances either.

Edited by nicksaviking, 11 May 2012 - 11:07 PM.

#14 Alex

Alex

• Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 11:12 PM

If you've watched Capps try to go two innings over the last three years it's hard to argue with the philosophy.

Edit: After a detailed and well researched review of Capps career numbers, I've determined that Capps surprisingly does not perform well in 1 inning appearances either.

Exactly. It's nothing to do with stretching a pitcher out two innings. In fact, iirc, The Book mentions using the closer (good ones anyway) for more than the last three outs increases win percentage.

#15 DJSim22

DJSim22

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:05 PM

3 perfect innings.

#16 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 4,734 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:16 PM

If you've watched Capps try to go two innings over the last three years it's hard to argue with the philosophy.

Edit: After a detailed and well researched review of Capps career numbers, I've determined that Capps surprisingly does not perform well in 1 inning appearances either.

I suspect that in cases where he goes more than one inning, the second inning is worse than the first on average. This is because he doesn't get many second innings when the first one is bad.

#17 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

One has to wonder if Alex Burnett is going to end up as trade bait, given Guerra and Oliveros.

#18 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:51 PM

One has to wonder if Alex Burnett is going to end up as trade bait, given Guerra and Oliveros.

Tradebait? What do you get in return? PTBNL or cash...

#19 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:08 PM

I don't mean they trade him right now, but hopefully he pitches well this season. Also, is there a way for someone besides the OP to change thread titles. Looking at this butchered spelling makes me crazy.

#20 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 02:31 PM

Yeah, name misspelling bugs me too... but... as for Burnett... he's part of the future, probably with Guerra and Oliveros. the team does need 7 relievers. Remember, if Burnett doesn't get optioned this year, he'll still have the option for next year.

#21 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 4,076 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

Yeah, name misspelling bugs me too... but... as for Burnett... he's part of the future, probably with Guerra and Oliveros. the team does need 7 relievers. Remember, if Burnett doesn't get optioned this year, he'll still have the option for next year.

Yeah, it is just that theoretically other than OF depth, the organization has a bunch of MR types.

#22 darin617

darin617

• Members
  • 607 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Yeah, it is just that theoretically other than OF depth, the organization has a bunch of MR types.

In other words there are no really good pitchers in the organization. MR types are a dime a dozen, we need some SP who can strike some batters out.

#23 greengoblinrulz

greengoblinrulz

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

what do you do with the bullpen if a Guerra/Oliveras/Waldrop/Slama were to get called up?? There is nobody pitching poorly enough to get dumped.....and Im not a Jeff Gray fan AT ALL but he is pitching well. If Burnett gets hit hard in a game or 2, then I can see him goin down.