Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Straub: Aaron Hicks on being in New Britain

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,766 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:32 AM

http://www.newbritai...20059162521.txt

Rock Cats beat writer Matt Straub wrote a good article capturing several thoughts from Aaron Hicks. He discusses being back in AA, switch hitting and getting to the big leagues. Not a long article, it's well worth the read!

#2 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:10 PM

Well that at least clears up the switch hitting thing. I hope he does well and ends up playing LF next year.

#3 70charger

70charger

• Members
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:13 PM

Good article. I think so much of Aaron Hicks' story wasn't being written by Aaron Hicks. For example, so many posters here blamed all sorts of things for his ineffectiveness, including lack of maturity, lack of preparation, not knowing what's expected of him, etc. None of these things are proven, just imputed, and for all we know we're guessing entirely wrong.

In any case, it seems like he's getting his head screwed back on straight (whatever that actually may entail!), and the early returns are very encouraging. I'm happy the Twins are doing what seems to be best for Hicks, and I'm happy that he doesn't seem to be sulky and resentful for having to take a well-deserved trip back to the minors.

I don't think we've seen the last of Aaron Hicks.

#4 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Ready To Smell Baseball

• Members
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:12 PM

GS today.

He has seemingly made steady improvement in NB and seems to be getting his swing and his confidence back.

That's what I want to see but no need to rush him back to MLB (even though I like seeing him on the team).

#5 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:39 PM

For example, so many posters here blamed all sorts of things for his ineffectiveness, including lack of maturity, lack of preparation, not knowing what's expected of him, etc. None of these things are proven

They were said by the field staff and GM. I would suggest those are pretty reasonable sources and your argument is pretty misguided.

#6 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:56 PM

I specifically said "posters here." I have no desire to follow you down the front-office rabbit hole.

Posters here aren't guessing. They're repeating what his own management has said about him. I would think that's a fairly reliable source.

#7 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Ready To Smell Baseball

• Members
  • 4,425 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:04 PM

Posters here aren't guessing. They're repeating what his own management has said about him. I would think that's a fairly reliable source.

But you interpret what management said differently than I do.

I don't think the hole is nearly as deep as you think. That doesn't mean I think he'll be back in mlb right away but I also don't think its impossible that we'll see him with the major league club later this season.

I think if they saw him as a fungible player (4th outfielder), they'd just let the chips fall where they may and he might go up and down. But I think that they still believe in his potential and that's why they are going to be very patient with him at AA and then have him do a stint in AAA.

#8 TheLeviathan

TheLeviathan

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 6,138 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:06 PM

I don't think the hole is nearly as deep as you think. That doesn't mean I think he'll be back in mlb right away but I also don't think its impossible that we'll see him with the major league club later this season.

I don't think I've ever laid out my opinions on Hicks. He was too important of a prospect to let flounder in the major leagues. He belongs in the minors getting things right, ideally at AAA by the end of the year. (I am, however, baffled by his waffling on the switch hitting)

So it doesn't sound like we disagree much at all.

But there is no "guessing" in blaming some of those things for his failures. People in the organization working with him every day did that. That's no longer a guess.

Edited by TheLeviathan, 20 July 2014 - 05:05 PM.

#9 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,319 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

Let's keep this conversation civil. I've removed the combative post and ask that people remain civil. Thanks.

#10 old nurse

old nurse

• Members
  • 1,875 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:17 PM

Speaking in generalities from what I see, not specifically you, so I would appreciate you not feeling attacked.
So in this case, posters here believe what the front office says, and on other things they do not.. Is it a matter of if what the front office says matches what the posters believe and accept then the front office is good. If it doesn't match, then the F.O are bad?

#11 Jim H

Jim H

• Members
  • 439 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

Aaron Hicks is a talented player. I expect a good part of the "blame" for his failure so far is on Hicks. He should of been far enough along the development path to handle the majors better than he has so far. Some of the blame should also be on the Twins. If they don't trade both CF's, if Mastroianni stays, healthy, if there was another better option, the Twins don't let Hicks struggle like he did.

I don't care particularly about why he struggled so much, hopefully he learned from it, and clearly the Twins have revised their timetable for Hicks as well. I do agree there is little value in some the comments made about both Hicks and the Twins by various posters. That however is part of what happens on these forums, especially thanks to the frustrating performance by the Twins and many players over the last few years.