Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Game Thread: Rays@Twins 7/20 1:10PM

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#81 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:53 PM

Well, the Twins are messed up.

Doubt if it had anything to do with the Derby.

Ugh.

It's possible my subtle sarcasm wasn't clear...:P

#82 WLFINN

WLFINN

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

It was a little tongue in cheek with the frustration of the last coupla games.

Not just losses but frequent ineptitude, on the mound, at the plate, in the field. To a last place team no less.

#83 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:55 PM

It's possible my subtle sarcasm wasn't clear...:P

I got it.

But I'm tired .... this game feels like it went on forever.

#84 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

I guess that 44-53 (2014) record is still significantly better than 41-53 (2013) or 39-54 (2012).

Ugh, ugh, ugh.

#85 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,925 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:09 PM

I believe that there is ample evidence for Ryan to start working the phones and make some trades now.

#86 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

Not just losses but frequent ineptitude, on the mound, at the plate, in the field. To a last place team no less.

To be fair, the hottest team in baseball since June 11? The Tampa Bay Rays. They dug themselves a deep hole with injuries and lackluster play early. But they're playing terrific baseball of late.

#87 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 538 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:23 PM

I don't remember how many season tickets were sold, but when school starts (or probably before) and the attendance starts to suck, maybe the FO will wake up!

#88 WLFINN

WLFINN

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:28 PM

To be fair, the hottest team in baseball since June 11? The Tampa Bay Rays. They dug themselves a deep hole with injuries and lackluster play early. But they're playing terrific baseball of late.

Yea I'll give you that but its pretty bad when I felt good about the home half of the 8th because they made the pitcher work, the small things.

#89 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

Yea I'll give you that but its pretty bad when I felt good about the home half of the 8th because they made the pitcher work, the small things.

I agree, that's all the FSN staff can dredge up right now. It seems like they're going that route these days rather than just turn on the DicknBert excuse machine. Back to the old futility against Maddon and the Rays. Besides the lousy starting pitching, it especially hurts to see such feeble AB after feeble AB, it's as if their strong offensive showing on the road last week never happened. And all of those quotes in the media that they were really going to make a strong showing to force management to be a buyer and not a seller.

#90 WLFINN

WLFINN

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:02 PM

I guess I wasn't watching FSN but yea the feeble AB's were very frustrating.

#91 longtimefan

longtimefan

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:39 PM

I hate to say it, but the games are getting NOT fun to watch, runner after runner left in scoring position?????

#92 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:51 PM

I hate to say it, but the games are getting NOT fun to watch, runner after runner left in scoring position?????

If you thought this Rays series was bad.... ESPN just updated the pitching probables for the next two nights. Pino has now been listed as Tuesday's probable starter after Johnson throws on Monday. The Indians are the sluggingest team in all of baseball for July- they lead in HRs, SLG, wOBA, ISO, and oh yeah, they've won 11 of 16 in July. What was that folks were saying about how "the Twins schedule softens up after the ASG break" again?

#93 stringer bell

stringer bell

WAR? What is it good for?

• Twins Mods
  • 7,899 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:05 PM

I was at the game today. My in-person view dovetails with many of the observations on this game thread. The Twins looked overmatched, while Tampa seemed to have all the answers. It was a beautiful day, but losing baseball is tough to watch.

#94 longtimefan

longtimefan

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:55 AM

#95 Blackjack

Blackjack

• Members
  • 713 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

But I'm tired .... this game feels like it went on forever.

It did go on forever!!! I was at the game and it was slow, slow, slow, no excitement from the Twins, seems like Tampa had runners on all the time, it got to the point in the ninth inning where I wanted the game to end, either hit a three run homer and win it or lose, please don't tie it and send it into extra innings!!! (I was on a bus charter and we weren't leaving until the game was done)

I guess a few timely hits would have changed my tune but I won't be rushing back to Target Field anytime soon. It was a beautiful day, interesting to see a game in person, see the defensive shifts, see the whole field and what players away from the ball are doing but that game definitely put a damper on my Twins enthusiasm.