Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Game Thread: Rays@Twins 7/20 1:10PM

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#1 Riverbrian

Riverbrian

Goofy Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 10,165 posts
  • LocationGrand Forks

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:53 AM

Partly cloudy. Winds blowing in from right field at 10-15 m.p.h. Temperature around 85.

Can we beat the Rays? Just Once Before they leave our hospitality. It all starts with a line-up and that beginning will be posted by ChiTown right here.

Sorry I'm a tad behind, folks ... the summer commute to work is a beast ...

RAYS:
SP, Archer

Jennings CF
Zobrist 2B
Joyce LF
Longoria 3B
Loney 1B
Guyer DH
Escobar SS
Casali C
Kiermaier RF

TWINS:
SP, Correia

Dozier 2B
Nunez 3B
Plouffe DH
Morales 1B
Arcia RF
Willingham LF
Escobar SS
Fryer C
Fuld CF

----------------------------------------------------

Things to Think About:

1. Swept? -- I hate waking up and starting my day thinking about the possibility of getting swept but look at that large grey thing standing in the corner. It's the Elephant in the Room... If the Twins don't beat a very tough Tampa Bay starter... They get to ride around on their brooms. Getting swept is the Elephant in the Room and there is a larger Humpback Whale in the room behind the Elephant. What happens if the Twins get swept and fall further back in the playoff chase. There is little doubt that the rubberband snapped awhile back.

2. Chris Archer -- Back in the old days... Archers were important to a nations war efforts. They would draw their bows to the sky and fire arrows high and they would rain down on the other side. There isn't much need for Archers these days with all the modern advancements in warfare. On the mound the Rays still have a real need for an Archer. Chris Archer... 25 Years old Right handed and from Raleigh North Carolina. Every city in North Carolina is named after cigarettes. Chris was drafted in the 5th round by the Cleveland Indians and soon began his career has professional trade bait. He was traded to the Cubs so the Indians could acquire Vodkadave's favorite player Mark DeRosa and later on was traded to the Rays so the Cubs could acquire Matt Garza. Sam Fuld was also part of that trade package so you can see how big it was. Archer has become the prize acquisition of that trade. He is currently holding a 3.51 ERA in 2014 and with all the injuries to the Rays rotation... Archer has done his best to keep a finger in the dike. He's a typical fastball, slider, change guy but his fastball has some extra gas... as does his slider.

3. Kevin Correia -- There is no question that Kevin Correia has done something awful in his life because very few seem to say nice things about him. Since arriving in Minnesota he has been a target of many. His current ERA isn't going to quiet the crowd but if you step back and look at his last 9 starts. 7 of them have been very good. He's been on a roll and dare I say it... Since May 31st... He's been our best starter. OK... I'll duck and hide somewhere after saying that.

4. Hit the Flipping Ball -- All of our All-Stars must be tired out from the extra work after the break. We don't seem to be hitting the ball very well. Speaking of the All-Star break... How bout that Derek Jeter.

5. Airport Security -- I don't fly that much but I'm off on a road trip today and I was thinking about how I'd rather drive than fly. I'm not afraid of flying... I'm annoyed by flying. 1. I like the scenery. 2. The seats are two small. 3. The Food sucks and you can't stop at a convenience store on the way to get what you want. 4. Airport Security is a pain. Don't get me wrong... In this day and age with everything that has happened. I'm all for Airport security... Check everybody out... Check them twice... Profile... Check the Old ladies... I don't care... Make it safe but all in all... It's a pain. The worst part is the shoes... I gotta take off my shoes and then I gotta put them back on again because of one guy who put a bomb in his shoe. If we have to do this... We need the Bra Bomber. To me... that would make airport security more interesting.

Edited by ChiTownTwinsFan, 20 July 2014 - 11:00 AM.

A Skeleton walks into a bar and says... "Give me a beer... And a mop".

#2 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:18 AM

Correia's numbers only look okay because offense is currently way down in the MLB.

Relative to his peers, he's pretty bad.

Among the 93 qualified MLB starting pitchers, Correia is:

93rd in K rate
92nd in xFIP
84th in ERA
1st in L's

Since the beginning of last season (so his 1.5 years in a Twins uniform), only 2 MLB pitchers have thrown as many innings (or more) as Correia, with a worse ERA (our own Ricky Nolasco, and Kyle Kendrick).

There really isn't a context that exists where Correia is anything but one of the handful of worst starting pitchers in baseball.

#3 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

"... How bout that Derek Jeter."

It would be nice if someone would start a thread on Mr Jeter. He has been flying under the radar lately.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

Correia's numbers only look okay because offense is currently way down in the MLB.

Relative to his peers, he's pretty bad.

Among the 93 qualified MLB starting pitchers, Correia is:

93rd in K rate
92nd in xFIP
84th in ERA
1st in L's

Since the beginning of last season (so his 1.5 years in a Twins uniform), only 2 MLB pitchers have thrown as many innings (or more) as Correia, with a worse ERA (our own Ricky Nolasco, and Kyle Kendrick).

There really isn't a context that exists where Correia is anything but one of the handful of worst starting pitchers in baseball.

OK then.....Thanks, Mr Brooks for the help in naming a likely offseason FA acquisition target.

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

And Chris Long checks in to enliven the homestand frivolity and good cheer:

Posted ImageChris Long @jclong · 1h

Ron Gardenhire could see career loss #1,000 today. Good luck?

#6 CRArko

CRArko

Agent of SHIELD

• Members
  • 1,784 posts
  • LocationIn the shadows.
  • Twitter: crarko

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:41 AM

Thinking about this today.

http://www.space.com...e-coverage.html
Take your time, and do it right. - N. Fury

#7 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:03 AM

Thinking about this today.

http://www.space.com...e-coverage.html

I was on vacation with my cousin's family at Lake Okoboji. The individual cabins didn't have TV so there were lots of us crowded into the game room late at night to watch the moon walk. Seems surreal.

#8 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,858 posts
  • LocationLake Tahoe, Nevada

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Among the 93 qualified MLB starting pitchers

That's the key. Truly bad pitchers don't achieve enough innings.

Correia's worst sin is being mediocre.

#9 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:10 AM

"... How bout that Derek Jeter."

It would be nice if someone would start a thread on Mr Jeter. He has been flying under the radar lately.

Who?

#10 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:21 AM

Ok, lets extend it out to the SP's with the 150 most innings (avg. 5 per team), and see where he ranks:

K rate: 149th
xFIP: 147th
ERA: 127th
L: 1st

Still mediocre? How far would we have to extend it out for him to not be among the handful of worst starting pitching? Top 200 in innings? Top 300 in innings?

#11 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

I appear to have taken a wrong turn on the way to the game thread, could someone point me in the right direction?

#12 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:36 AM

I appear to have taken a wrong turn on the way to the game thread, could someone point me in the right direction?

Shut your festering gob, you tit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

Oh, I'm sorry, this is Abuse.

#13 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

Except when they pitch for the Twins? Or are they purveyors of the modern corollary to the old adage: "there's no such thing as a bad 20-losses in a single season pitcher." Eureka, as it turns out, typical Twins starters over the last 4 years aren't bad, only the worst of the mediocre!

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:37 AM

Shut your festering gob, you tit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQFKtI6gn9Y

Oh, I'm sorry, this is Abuse.

Or you could just be abusing in your spare time?

#15 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

Happy 76th Birthday, Tony O!

#16 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 221 posts
  • LocationLuverne, Minnesota

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:59 AM

So if the Twins get hammered today, or they go, say 3-7, anyone expect any changes?

#17 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:03 PM

So if the Twins get hammered today, or they go, say 3-7, anyone expect any changes?

Absolutely. I'm not even sure a win today changes the forecast that they are now sellers at the deadline and it's time to bring some guys up. A win of the series would have prolonged the agony of "maybe we're still in this thing." I rarely root for losses but in this case I think the last two days were for the best.

So, I can root for a miracle win today despite the worst starting pitcher in the league, with a clean conscience. :)

#18 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,929 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:04 PM

Absolutely. I'm not even sure a win today changes the forecast that they are now sellers at the deadline and it's time to bring some guys up. A win of the series would have prolonged the agony of "maybe we're still in this thing." I rarely root for losses but in this case I think it's for the best.

Sounds like TR is joining in on Jim Pohlad's assessment from earlier in the week:

Mike Berardino @MikeBerardino · 52s

Terry Ryan suggested #MNTwins must get back to .500 before they can even consider themselves contenders. "We're a long way from .500."

#19 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:06 PM

But John, do you think the Twins wait until August 1 to plunge ahead?

#20 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:10 PM

Is Chitown around? I'm going to watch her play tonight.

#21 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,858 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:11 PM

But John, do you think the Twins wait until August 1 to plunge ahead?

Ten days either way make no difference to me, especially if by using them it results in wise stewardship of the organization's resources. Watch the pennies and the dollars will take care of themselves; don't throw away marginal resources until you are sure there is no return at all on them.

#22 ChiTownTwinsFan

ChiTownTwinsFan

Moderation in all things ...

• Twins Mods
  • 6,577 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:32 PM

Is Chitown around? I'm going to watch her play tonight.

I'm at rehearsal but am leaving at 3 and don't need to be present for the concert. It's sounding quite lovely, so you should have a good time.

#23 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:34 PM

I always look forward to watching Twins games, but these last 3 have been unbearable....

#24 Gibby

Gibby

• Members
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

I'm at rehearsal but am leaving at 3 and don't need to be present for the concert. It's sounding quite lovely, so you should have a good time.

Bummer

#25 snepp

snepp

Curve Hanger

• Twins Mods
  • 4,339 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:49 PM

I always look forward to watching Twins games, but these last 3 have been unbearable....

So you're saying we shouldn't wake Chief from his nap?

#26 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

Hey! Keep it down, will ya!!1!??1!

#27 Guest_USAFChief_*

Guest_USAFChief_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:56 PM

0-2 double.

Fine hi...wait...FIRE his ass.

#28 curt1965

curt1965

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:57 PM

No one has obviously woken the Twins batters the past 3 games.....

#29 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Cynical Oldie

• Members
  • 4,155 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:04 PM

No one has obviously woken the Twins batters the past 3 games.....

And i tmakes me ready for naptime, too.

#30 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,531 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:05 PM

Isn't watching twins baseball fun?

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.