Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Mackey/Wetmore: 2016 Twins Roster

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 mudcat14

mudcat14

• Members
  • 494 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

Santana will be the everyday SS before THIS season ends. Dozier will be a trade chip by next year.

#22 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:19 PM

I agree with you, there will certainly be free agent additions between now and then, this has to be seen as more a look at organizational depth, much like BA does in the prospect handbook.

I agree on Berrios, but Sano has a good shot to be up halfway through the season next year, assuming health. He was borderline last September.

Yeah you're probably right about the approach they took.

Do you think they start Sano at AAA next season when he returns? Do they start him at AA for just a month while he gets his timing back and then move him up to AAA before getting a call up? Do you think he starts at AA and eventually jumps straight to the majors? Do you think he spends 2015 in the minors with perhaps a Sept call up and then get slotted into the 2016 lineup from day 1?

I think with a year off he will require time at AA to regain his timing, half a season seems to be the usual time frame. That would only give him half a season at AAA with a Sept call up being his only time in the majors. That seems awfully quick to me to just slot him into the opening day lineup. IMO I think it's more likely we see Sano mid-way through 2016 at some point. Of course all of this presumes that he comes back and is the same player.

#23 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:54 PM

Yeah you're probably right about the approach they took.

Do you think they start Sano at AAA next season when he returns? Do they start him at AA for just a month while he gets his timing back and then move him up to AAA before getting a call up? Do you think he starts at AA and eventually jumps straight to the majors? Do you think he spends 2015 in the minors with perhaps a Sept call up and then get slotted into the 2016 lineup from day 1?

I think with a year off he will require time at AA to regain his timing, half a season seems to be the usual time frame. That would only give him half a season at AAA with a Sept call up being his only time in the majors. That seems awfully quick to me to just slot him into the opening day lineup. IMO I think it's more likely we see Sano mid-way through 2016 at some point. Of course all of this presumes that he comes back and is the same player.

I would agree he starts at AA. What happens from there is up to him. I really honestly believe the Twins will call him up as soon as he is ready, whether that is from AA or AAA. Mid-2016 just seems too far away. I expect some rust early, but see no reason he can't regain his form from last year relatively quickly especially since he will get some Winter League action.

But, as you said, this depends on him regaining his form. TJ for a hitter just doesn't seem to be a devastating long term injury (aside from time lost).
Papers...business papers.

#24 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,949 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:48 PM

I would agree he starts at AA. What happens from there is up to him. I really honestly believe the Twins will call him up as soon as he is ready, whether that is from AA or AAA. Mid-2016 just seems too far away. I expect some rust early, but see no reason he can't regain his form from last year relatively quickly especially since he will get some Winter League action.

But, as you said, this depends on him regaining his form. TJ for a hitter just doesn't seem to be a devastating long term injury (aside from time lost).

I think how they handle Buxton this year will tell us a lot about how they will handle Sano's promotion schedule next season. Do they move them up as soon as they show they've regained their timing/form or do they wait for half a season or so. Winter League is a good point.

Thanks for the discussion.

#25 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:52 PM

I think how they handle Buxton this year will tell us a lot about how they will handle Sano's promotion schedule next season. Do they move them up as soon as they show they've regained their timing/form or do they wait for half a season or so. Winter League is a good point.

Thanks for the discussion.

Assuming the beaning on the wrist is minor, I think Buxton gets up to AA pretty quick and does the Arizona Fall League. He won't start in the majors next year no matter what he does, but if he performs how he can I think he can he will up really quickly.

With the best four years and all the hype of prospects the franchise is selling, if Buxton is killing it and they are still running out mediocrity in cf they can't afford to wait for super 2. And they won't.

#26 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

I think the success the Cardinals are having with young pitchers should speak volumes to the Twins to get the young arms up here. May hopefully will be up in the next couple of weeks and Meyer should show up in September. Berrios in 2016 may be a reach, but he may make it. Stewart should be here in 2017, so the future is bright. Now if we can find some hitters.

#27 TwinsTerritory

TwinsTerritory

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:04 PM

I'll take a shot at it. Fingers crossed that Sano can stick at 3B. Not sold that Vargas will ever hit well enough to be a full-time DH, but hope I'm wrong. Guessing Berrios starts at AAA, but comes up in some role in 2016.

1. Buxton CF
2. Rosario LF
3. Mauer 1B
4. Sano 3B
5. Dozier 2B
6. Arcia RF
7. Pinto DH
8. Suzuki (or someone not currently in the org) C
9. Polanco SS

Bench-Plouffe 3B/OF, Santana SS/OF, Herrmann C/OF, Hicks OF

SP-Meyer, Hughes, Gibson, Nolasco, May
RP-Perkins, Tonkin, Theilbar, Fien, Burdi, Ibarra, Pressly

Edited by TwinsTerritory, 20 July 2014 - 11:15 PM.

#28 Shane Wahl

Shane Wahl

• Members
  • 6,019 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:34 AM

I'll take a shot at it. Fingers crossed that Sano can stick at 3B. Not sold that Vargas will ever hit well enough to be a full-time DH, but hope I'm wrong. Guessing Berrios starts at AAA, but comes up in some role in 2016.

1. Buxton CF
2. Rosario LF
3. Mauer 1B
4. Sano 3B
5. Dozier 2B
6. Arcia RF
7. Pinto DH
8. Suzuki (or someone not currently in the org) C
9. Polanco SS

Bench-Plouffe 3B/OF, Santana SS/OF, Herrmann C/OF, Hicks OF

SP-Meyer, Hughes, Gibson, Nolasco, May
RP-Perkins, Tonkin, Theilbar, Fien, Burdi, Ibarra, Pressly

This is pretty close, I think. I bet Pinto makes it as a catcher. With that, then Vargas can DH:

1. Buxton, CF
2. Mauer, 1B
3. Sano, 3B
4. Vargas, DH
5. Dozier, 2B
6. Arcia, RF
7. Pinto, C
8. Rosario, LF
9. Polanco/Santana SS

Bench: Santana/Polanco (Santana providing IF/OF possibilities), Hicks (OF), Herrmann (C/OF), Plouffe (3B/OF)

Starters: same
Bullpen: Perkins, Burdi, Tonkin, Lefty (probably not Ibarra or Thielbar), Achter, Oliveros, Guerra

#29 blairpaul715

blairpaul715

• Members
  • 730 posts
  • LocationMinot, ND

Posted 21 July 2014 - 02:09 AM

My shot at it: Starters: Hughes, Meyer, Nolasco, May, Gibson----could be a decent rotation
Relievers: Perkins, Tonkin, Pressly, Deduno, Achter, Darnell, Kris Johnson
Starting lineup
SS Santana
1st Mauer
CF Buxton
DH Vargas
3rd Sano
LF Arcia
C Free Agent
2nd Rosario
RF Hicks
Bench: Escobar, Parmalee, Pinto, Plouffe

I think they trade Dozier......someone will like his power, but my opinion he has limited ceiling, and is close or already there......I don't see him hitting anywhere near .275 or .280

#30 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 2,015 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 04:52 AM

My shot at the lineup
Starters Hughes, Meyer, Nolasco, May, Gibson
Relievers, Perkins, Tonkin, Thielbar, Pressly, Burdi, Darnell, Fien
Starting Lineup
SS - Santana
1st - Mauer
2nd - Polanco
3rd - Sano
LF - Arcia
CF - Buxton
RF - Rosario
C - Pinto
DH - Morales
Bench - Escobar, Plouffe, Parmalee, Hicks

Could see another young pitcher as part of the return for Dozier. If Twins cannot get that, then Dozier probably will still be here.

#31 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 8,783 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 21 July 2014 - 06:49 AM

I think the success the Cardinals are having with young pitchers should speak volumes to the Twins to get the young arms up here. May hopefully will be up in the next couple of weeks and Meyer should show up in September. Berrios in 2016 may be a reach, but he may make it. Stewart should be here in 2017, so the future is bright. Now if we can find some hitters.

But the Cardinals might just as easily be a cautionary tale. All of the young arms that had so much success last year have either fallen back or gotten hurt this year. It is the vets that are carrying them so far.

#32 Cris E

Cris E

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

Lots of people are only playing the cards we have in our hand right now. I think LF is wide open in this org and they could easily grab another bat the way they did with Willingham. Rosario has not been outstanding since he came back, Hicks may never hit, and with Mauer at 1B they need some place to hide the glove of a power bat.

#33 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 5,693 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

This is pretty close, I think. I bet Pinto makes it as a catcher. With that, then Vargas can DH:

1. Buxton, CF
2. Mauer, 1B
3. Sano, 3B
4. Vargas, DH
5. Dozier, 2B
6. Arcia, RF
7. Pinto, C
8. Rosario, LF
9. Polanco/Santana SS

Bench: Santana/Polanco (Santana providing IF/OF possibilities), Hicks (OF), Herrmann (C/OF), Plouffe (3B/OF)

Starters: same
Bullpen: Perkins, Burdi, Tonkin, Lefty (probably not Ibarra or Thielbar), Achter, Oliveros, Guerra

I agree with all, except I think we will have a different catcher, a free agent or someone like Turner that isn't on the radar. I don't think we trust Pinto. I think Polanco will be the SS.

Probably one free agent in there somewhere, my guess is LF depending on how Rosario progresses, or if Hicks can turn it around.