Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
Subscribe to Twins Daily Email
Photo

Mackey/Wetmore: 2016 Twins Roster

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 13,835 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 08:54 AM

http://www.1500espn....look_like071814

It's always fun to think about the future. At 1500ESPN, Phil Mackey and Derek Wetmore posted their 2016 Twins roster/lineup/rotation/bullpen. It's definitely an interesting article and fun to think about. What are your thoughts on their rosters and what would your 25-man roster look like?

#2 righty8383

righty8383

• Members
  • 598 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

Derek has Berrios in the pen while May is in the rotation. That is completely illogical to me

#3 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

The more illogical guess, to me, is that they both think the Twins will actually take Berrios north out of Spring Training, AT AGE 21, while we are currently looking at May and Meyer (a top 30 prospect!!) potentially being 25 years old before they get their first taste of MLB.

Sorry guys, not happening, not in this organization.

#4 JB_Iowa

JB_Iowa

Let's Keep Winning!

• Members
  • 5,986 posts
  • LocationNorthwest Iowa

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:49 AM

The more illogical guess, to me, is that they both think the Twins will actually take Berrios north out of Spring Training, AT AGE 21, while we are currently looking at May and Meyer (a top 30 prospect!!) potentially being 25 years old before they get their first taste of MLB.

Perhaps but Berrios is really forcing their hand so far. We're talking 2016 so a year and a half from now.

Are you going to keep him in AA and AAA for more than that if he continues to excel?

#5 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

Perhaps but Berrios is really forcing their hand so far. We're talking 2016 so a year and a half from now.

Are you going to keep him in AA and AAA for more than that if he continues to excel?

Would I? No, but the Twins will. Actions speak louder than words and the actions show that the Twins are not willing to promote starting pitchers until they are cost controlled into their 30's.

#6 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:34 AM

Would I? No, but the Twins will. Actions speak louder than words and the actions show that the Twins are not willing to promote starting pitchers until they are cost controlled into their 30's.

Meyer, as you know, is not ripping it up at AAA. He is learning a changeup and is not yet polished. Remember how long it takes for 6'9 guys to develop #thebigunit? May would be up right now if not for an injury. So those silly comments are unwarranted. Lets pump the brakes on Berrios as well. He has been pushed (youngest pitcher in AA) yet we are bitching about what might happen in the future?

Our rebuild is going much better than Astros and we have some pitchers unlike chicago (n).

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 13,835 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

Mauer, Arcia, Santana, there are plenty of examples of guys who flew up the system. If Buxton and Sano would have been healthy all year, both of them would be up. It's obviously a case-by-case thing.

I think Berrios could be up here by the end of next year, but AA is going to be the biggest jump and AAA doesn't get easier. He's got a bit to prove yet. So, I think Opening Day 2016 is realistic, but a lot of has to happen, including staying healthy.

#8 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:45 AM

Mauer, Arcia, Santana, there are plenty of examples of guys who flew up the system. If Buxton and Sano would have been healthy all year, both of them would be up. It's obviously a case-by-case thing.

I think Berrios could be up here by the end of next year, but AA is going to be the biggest jump and AAA doesn't get easier. He's got a bit to prove yet. So, I think Opening Day 2016 is realistic, but a lot of has to happen, including staying healthy.

I don't dispute the position players. Berrios is a pitcher. The evidence points to the Twins being much more conservative in promoting their pitching prospects to the MLB.

#9 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 10:50 AM

Meyer, as you know, is not ripping it up at AAA. He is learning a changeup and is not yet polished. Remember how long it takes for 6'9 guys to develop #thebigunit? May would be up right now if not for an injury. So those silly comments are unwarranted. Lets pump the brakes on Berrios as well. He has been pushed (youngest pitcher in AA) yet we are bitching about what might happen in the future?

Our rebuild is going much better than Astros and we have some pitchers unlike chicago (n).

1) Meyer has 3.30 ERA, opponents cant hit him (.220 BA against), and has nearly 10 K/9. I'm not sure what more we need to see.
If you are waiting for him to be "consistent", get ready to wait about 4 or 5 more years before we see him up, because a young 6'9" pitcher is never going to be consistent. His big frame is going to at times lead to a breakdown of his mechanics. With Meyer, you have to go by his OVERALL numbers, (which have been superb) and be willing to live with the occasional dud.

2) Link to where Terry Ryan or Anthony said that May for sure would be up right now if not injured? Otherwise that is just speculation. Maybe he would, but I doubt it.

#10 TKGuy

TKGuy

• Members
  • 383 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:06 AM

I think Meyer and May will be up before the end of the year. Here's hoping Correia turns in another good outing, meaning his time with the team may be short. As for Meyer, he's seemed to be on an 85-90 pitch limit most of the year, just now being stretched out. I would agree that May probably could have taken at least one of the spot starts by now

#11 Lakeside

Lakeside

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:14 AM

http://www.1500espn....look_like071814

It's always fun to think about the future. At 1500ESPN, Phil Mackey and Derek Wetmore posted their 2016 Twins roster/lineup/rotation/bullpen. It's definitely an interesting article and fun to think about. What are your thoughts on their rosters and what would your 25-man roster look like?

I think these line-ups are pretty logical when considering who we have under control and, at least one assumes retaining Suzuki.

Possibility #1 - That Nolasco is not there and that both May and Berrios are SPs. Nolasco not on the team would take the right circumstance, but I'm guessing that in the right situation they could move him -- possibly eating part of the contract

Possibility #2-- The lineup, IMO, is home run challenged unless Vargas starts right up, Arcia starts to hit, and Dozier continues his pace. I would suggest using the money saved by Willingham, Correie, Pelfrey, Morales, etc. to get somebody who we could "count on" for 20Hrs annually.

#12 mnfireman

mnfireman

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:34 AM

Radke was 22, Erickson was 22, Lohse was 22, Liriano's best year he was 22, Milton was 22, and there are more. But yes, the team seems like they prefer their pitchers to be 25 or older, which may work against them in the future. If a kid is ready, bring them up. The Rays, Cards, Braves and a few other teams seem to be having some success doing this.

#13 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:35 AM

1) Meyer has 3.30 ERA, opponents cant hit him (.220 BA against), and has nearly 10 K/9. I'm not sure what more we need to see.
If you are waiting for him to be "consistent", get ready to wait about 4 or 5 more years before we see him up, because a young 6'9" pitcher is never going to be consistent. His big frame is going to at times lead to a breakdown of his mechanics. With Meyer, you have to go by his OVERALL numbers, (which have been superb) and be willing to live with the occasional dud.

2) Link to where Terry Ryan or Anthony said that May for sure would be up right now if not injured? Otherwise that is just speculation. Maybe he would, but I doubt it.

Speculation? This whole site, this thread, the article, your post, is all speculation. So yes that is speculation. But the fact that he was injured means cannot be used against management.

Meyers overall numbers are good. But he did just have 3 outings in a row where he did not pitch in the 4th inning. Dont get me wrong, I think that he is going to be great and should be called up soon. May is next in line and I am crossing my fingers for Tuesday. Meyer needs to be put on 40 (which is a small hurdle but one nonetheless) which hopefully comes after a trade of KC. Both these guys are going to be good, i just feel being conservative with both these guys is the correct route. They both have half a season at AAA. AAA is very important for pitchers and not so for hitters to the twins brass, which seems to be more common in the league imo.

#14 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:43 AM

Speculation? This whole site, this thread, the article, your post, is all speculation. So yes that is speculation. But the fact that he was injured means cannot be used against management.

Meyers overall numbers are good. But he did just have 3 outings in a row where he did not pitch in the 4th inning. Dont get me wrong, I think that he is going to be great and should be called up soon. May is next in line and I am crossing my fingers for Tuesday. Meyer needs to be put on 40 (which is a small hurdle but one nonetheless) which hopefully comes after a trade of KC. Both these guys are going to be good, i just feel being conservative with both these guys is the correct route. They both have half a season at AAA. AAA is very important for pitchers and not so for hitters to the twins brass, which seems to be more common in the league imo.

So why are we arguing? That is my point.
The Twins are more conservative with their pitchers than they are their hitters.
Berrios starting out of ST at age 21 seems like an extreme longshot to me.

#15 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,907 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 11:50 AM

Actually, his K/9 is 10.10, his K% is 26.2%, both numbers lead the International League, despite the fact that he's the second youngest qualified pitcher in the League. And, one only needs to trace the career of Randy Johnson to see that you are spot on regarding Meyer and the consistency "hurdle". In sum, all of this is not idle speculation, this is reasoned inference of a likely outcome. Meyer really has little left to learn at AAA, save continued work on his change-up. The Twins have been out of the playoff hunt for quite some time, this is the right time once a roster spot opens up for Meyer to continue his learning process with his few remaining innings before shutdown, at the major league level.

#16 Rosterman

Rosterman

• Members
  • 2,360 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:28 PM

No Nolasco. With his contract, that is a name you will float on the waiver wire in August and depending on your circumstances, let him move, especially at his current abilities. You can always reinvest that money in another gamble. He is an example of a player you do overpay hoping you get production to either trade, or that he keeps a modicum of value that someone will want him for anything, even if it becomes simply a salary dump so you don't have to eat his salary. if he pitches to 8-12 wth a 4.35 era at next years all-star break, someone will trade for bim and his remaining contract.

I also see someone other than Chris Herrmann as a backuo at catcher. I almost doubt that Chris will remain on the 40-man going into next season. One of the AA or even Ft. Myers guys will be up come 2016. And a veteran or two will be in the bullpen with Nolasco gone and May in the rotation for sure, plus Kohl Stewart in the wings. Not to mention one or two of the guys drafted this year.

Edited by Rosterman, 20 July 2014 - 12:31 PM.

Joel Thingvall
www.joelthingvall.com
rosterman at www.twinscards.com

#17 Oxtung

Oxtung

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence of tryin

• Members
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

I think these are fairly unrealistic representations of the future roster. The Twins will add veteran reclamations and a FA or 3 to the roster. I also believe it's unrealistic to believe Sano or Berrios will be up to start 2016. They'll start both back at AA to begin 2015. Also Polanco would really have to fly to get here to start 2016. Another question is who will be the random guy who blooms late and comes out of the minors a la Thielbar, Colabello, Pinto, Parmelee.

#18 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 5,354 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:46 PM

I agree that it would be quick for Berrios to be up that early, but May and Meyer have very little to do with Berrios.
Papers...business papers.

#19 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 5,354 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:48 PM

I think these are fairly unrealistic representations of the future roster. The Twins will add veteran reclamations and a FA or 3 to the roster. I also believe it's unrealistic to believe Sano or Berrios will be up to start 2016. They'll start both back at AA to begin 2015. Also Polanco would really have to fly to get here to start 2016. Another question is who will be the random guy who blooms late and comes out of the minors a la Thielbar, Colabello, Pinto, Parmelee.

I agree with you, there will certainly be free agent additions between now and then, this has to be seen as more a look at organizational depth, much like BA does in the prospect handbook.

I agree on Berrios, but Sano has a good shot to be up halfway through the season next year, assuming health. He was borderline last September.
Papers...business papers.

#20 Otwins

Otwins

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:02 PM

I think Plouffe and possibly Parmelee will still be with the team in 2016. Arcia is not a good outfielder. I think Plouffe starts in the outfield and is 3B backup. Also think opening day 2016 too early for Polanco. I project Escobar still at SS and Berrios comes up after super 2 date in 2016. Not opening day. Looks like a much more enjoyable team to watch than this version.