Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

MinnCentric Forums

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Trevor May pulled after 3 innings

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:31 PM

After giving up 1ER on 3 hits and 1BB to go with 3Ks, May gets pulled after 3 innings in tonight's game. He threw 47 pitches, 30 for strikes. 2 possibilities:

1) Injury forced him out
2) After Pino's poor start on Thursday, they treat this like a bullpen session and pull him after three innings to call him up for Tuesday's start.

Anyone with info?

#2 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:33 PM

It was his first start in 4 weeks, I imagine he had a pretty strict pitch count.
Papers...business papers.

#3 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:38 PM

Hadn't considered that, but that seems extra strict though

#4 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Member

• Twins Mods
  • 11,268 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:31 PM

It was his first start in 4 weeks, I imagine he had a pretty strict pitch count.

47?

#5 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Daily Member

• Twins Mods
  • 11,268 posts
  • LocationNatick MA

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:37 PM

After giving up 1ER on 3 hits and 1BB to go with 3Ks, May gets pulled after 3 innings in tonight's game. He threw 47 pitches, 30 for strikes. 2 possibilities:

1) Injury forced him out
2) After Pino's poor start on Thursday, they treat this like a bullpen session and pull him after three innings to call him up for Tuesday's start.

Anyone with info?

Here is the official word:

we_cant_have_nice_things.jpg

#6 Kwak

Kwak

• Members
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:34 PM

Maybe they want to make sure May doesn't have an oblique injury?

#7 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 12,547 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:03 PM

I'd guess pitch count.

#8 Twins Twerp

Twins Twerp

• Members
  • 845 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:25 PM

47 pitches...pitch count probably set @ 50

#9 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Twins Mods
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:09 PM

I've never heard of a 50 pitch count for a starter. They can't be concerned that his arm can't handle more pitches, he hasn't had that long of a break. If they are concerned that his recently injured oblique can't handle more than 50, he shouldn't have been out there in the first place.

Knowing this club's unreasonable obsession with walks, I think we should just assume he got pulled because he issued one.

#10 naobermiller

naobermiller

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:17 PM

Still haven't seen any talk of an injury, so pretty safe to say we can rule that out. Ryan is playing mum about it.

Questions abound over whether the Twins will call upon May or Meyer to join their big-league rotation this season. The team's starting slot for Tuesday's game is open, but it's likely that Yohan Pino, Sam Deduno or Kris Johnson will take the spot vacated by Ricky Nolasco, who is not eligible to come off the disabled list until Wednesday.
On Saturday, Ryan remained mum.
"I have a feel for it," he said, "but I'm not gonna divulge it."

I know that it's likely not going to be May or Meyer, but it just seems weird some of the things that have happened with those two. 47 pitches in a return for May seems low for any pitch count. The day Nolasco went on the DL, Meyer out of nowhere stretched out to 99 pitches.

Edited by naobermiller, 19 July 2014 - 11:20 PM.

#11 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 8,311 posts
  • LocationThe charred ruins of BYTO

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:44 AM

Maybe my memory is faulty in my old age, but I don't seem to remember the team being this strict about pitch counts in the minor leagues. I'm guessing it's their way of trying to reduce TJS risk, which if it works will do wonders for their pitching prospects, but am I right here, or am I misremembering?

#12 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:07 PM

Ryan in saying "I have a feel for it" and "but I'm not going to divulge it" speaks volumes about how the Minnesota Twins general manager runs the outfit. The logical conclusion is "quite poorly" I'd say. I have never heard a MLB executive frame something in such a way, added proof that Ryan is running the team off of the top of his head. But that's okay, the results show it, do they not?

#13 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 10,758 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:21 PM

I've never heard of a 50 pitch count for a starter. They can't be concerned that his arm can't handle more pitches, he hasn't had that long of a break.

If they are concerned that his recently injured oblique can't handle more than 50, he shouldn't have been out there in the first place.

Knowing this club's unreasonable obsession with walks, I think we should just assume he got pulled because he issued one.

Were you speaking tongue in cheek on an oblique injury? I'm only aware of May's "minor" calf strain.

To be fair though, before last night he hadn't pitched in 28 days, four weeks. The whole thing is curious though, what with being named to the Futures Game as a substitute, and supposedly AFTER his calf strain, on June 23. And then scheduled to start last Sunday for Rochester, before it was rained out. And last night, only 3 innings. One can argue that TR was playing it right down the middle and keeping all of his options open for Tuesday. (Out of all of the candidates, I think there is little doubt that Johnson is going to be one of the two starters early next week, he starts most likely on Monday, but no later than Tuesday...Meyer is set up to get Correia's next start if KC is traded).

#14 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:41 PM

Ryan in saying "I have a feel for it" and "but I'm not going to divulge it" speaks volumes about how the Minnesota Twins general manager runs the outfit. The logical conclusion is "quite poorly" I'd say. I have never heard a MLB executive frame something in such a way, added proof that Ryan is running the team off of the top of his head. But that's okay, the results show it, do they not?

It proves nothing like this at all.

#15 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Twins Mods
  • 7,799 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:48 PM

Were you speaking tongue in cheek on an oblique injury? I'm only aware of May's "minor" calf strain.

To be fair though, before last night he hadn't pitched in 28 days, four weeks. The whole thing is curious though, what with being named to the Futures Game as a substitute, and supposedly AFTER his calf strain, on June 23. And then scheduled to start last Sunday for Rochester, before it was rained out. And last night, only 3 innings. One can argue that TR was playing it right down the middle and keeping all of his options open for Tuesday. (Out of all of the candidates, I think there is little doubt that Johnson is going to be one of the two starters early next week, he starts most likely on Monday, but no later than Tuesday...Meyer is set up to get Correia's next start if KC is traded).

Hmm that is peculiar that I started talking about his obliques. I wonder where I got that from?

#16 oldguy10

oldguy10

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 02:46 PM

It proves nothing like this at all.

Then to me it is even more serious if his actions are premeditated. Plus very frustrating.

#17 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 20 July 2014 - 03:02 PM

Then to me it is even more serious if his actions are premeditated. Plus very frustrating.

What actions?

He knows he is planning on calling up but isn't going to announce it until he has to in case circumstances change. Isn't that being prudent?

I understand criticizing the eventual choice he is going to make (Pino), but why is the process a problem?

#18 Oxtung

Oxtung

I don't skinny dip. I chunky dunk.

• Members
  • 1,675 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:27 PM

Like DrJim said, I think he knows who he wants to call up but he is waiting to see if there is any last minute information that might change his mind. Seems prudent to me. The other option I guess is that he knows who he wants to call up but wants to inform that man and others within the organization first before he tells the media.

Either way doesn't seem "Seat of his pants" like to me.

#19 laloesch

laloesch

• Members
  • 536 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:07 AM

Like DrJim said, I think he knows who he wants to call up but he is waiting to see if there is any last minute information that might change his mind. Seems prudent to me. The other option I guess is that he knows who he wants to call up but wants to inform that man and others within the organization first before he tells the media.

Either way doesn't seem "Seat of his pants" like to me.

Judging how the Twins continue to trot Johnson and Pino out start after start well be lucky to see May in September. I can't believe they'd hold back his deput until he's pushing 25 years old.

#20 Hosken Bombo Disco

Hosken Bombo Disco

Cooperstown

• Members
  • 5,008 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:27 AM

Judging how the Twins continue to trot Johnson and Pino out start after start well be lucky to see May in September. I can't believe they'd hold back his deput until he's pushing 25 years old.

I wonder if this afternoon would have been a good day for his debut. Would only have been 3 days rest but he has a fresh arm and will be on pitch count and full of adrenaline regardless of when his debut is. I can understand the Twins wanting to wait until the last minute to determine Gibson's status though, which would not leave much time for May to fly here. Maybe next time. Sigh.