Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Buxton is finally hitting, is Hit By Pitch, did he dodge a bullet?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

[FONT=klavika_medium]Buxton homers, survives hit-by-pitch scare

[/FONT]
Posted Image

Last night's Miracle game was an epic, 17-inning affair, that involved 35 players, a stellar 5-8 performance by SS Jorge Polanco, and also included 3 first round and 1 second round draft picks in the opposition, stacked Daytona Cubs, starting lineup, both teams combined for 41 hits, 23 by the Miracle and a combined 39 strike outs.....but all of this and the end result in a Miracle loss was completely transcended by the performance of just one player...the former #1, but now #2 prospect in baseball. It appears that now being ranked #2 means that like Avis, Byron Buxton is going to try even harder.

http://www.milb.com/...s_milb&sid=milb

[QUOTE][FONT=Arial]If the Twins' goal was to get Byron Buxton more at-bats, it was mission accomplished on Friday night.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Buxton led off the game with a single and then hit his 3rd HR of the season, and his 2nd consecutive HR game. He followed that up with another single and a walk, leading to this in the 8th inning:

[QUOTE]Brice Zimmerman @ZimMiracle[FONT=Helvetica Neue]Follow[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica Neue]Buxton struck on his wrist with a pitch in the 8th. Visible pain and upset reaction, but he stayed in the game to run bases and back in CF[/FONT][/QUOTE]

As an aside, I encourage everyone to give Brice a listen, he does an excellent play-by-play job for the Miracle. And yes, Buxton was hit on "that" wrist. In a very good sign, Buxton stayed in the game, and actually played another 9+ innings after being hit, reaching base 2 more times on a walk and a 17th inning leadoff single, oddly enough another good sign for the wrist, after a swinging strikeout previously in the 10th inning (Buxton reached base leading off an inning 3 out of 3 times, on 2 hits and a walk).

For the game, Buck reached base 7 times in 9 plate appearances and he had 9 flawless chances in CF. And yes, as all of Twinsland is no doubt aware:

[QUOTE][FONT=Arial]Buxton scored three runs and drove in two. The performance continued a breakout week for the second overall pick in the 2012 Draft as he's gone 9-for-17 with two homers and a triple in his last three games.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Curious fans will likely be checking the Miracle box score later this evening to get the follow-up on Buck's wrist and see what the new "Number 2" can do for an encore.

Edited by jokin, 19 July 2014 - 12:03 PM.

#2 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:01 AM

Just got an update on Buck's slash since his July 6 return, over 8 games:

.367/.472/.633/1.106 BB%- 14%

While his wrist health is still the over-riding concern, I don't think there's any question that he's seeing the ball well and has got his swing and timing down.

#3 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

yeah, I figure he has another week of 'spring training' and then gets sent to NB.

#4 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:41 PM

Starting Miracle lineup, no Buxton...but no word on why not...let's assume a normal night off for now:

[FONT=Gotham Narrow SSm]

Posted ImageFort Myers Miracle@MiracleBaseball

[/FONT]
[FONT=Gotham Narrow SSm]LINEUP (7:05) 1. Mejia-4, 2. Polanco-6, 3. Harrison-7, 4. Hicks-3, 5. Walker-9, 6. Gonzales-DH, 7. Turner-2, 8. Kelpler-8, 9. Goodrum-5[/FONT]

#5 Monkeypaws

Monkeypaws

• Members
  • 887 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:51 PM

Starting Miracle lineup, no Buxton...but no word on why not...let's assume a normal night off for now:

[FONT=Gotham Narrow SSm]

Posted ImageFort Myers Miracle@MiracleBaseball

[/FONT][FONT=Gotham Narrow SSm]LINEUP (7:05) 1. Mejia-4, 2. Polanco-6, 3. Harrison-7, 4. Hicks-3, 5. Walker-9, 6. Gonzales-DH, 7. Turner-2, 8. Kelpler-8, 9. Goodrum-5[/FONT]

Hope to hell it isn't that wrist shot....

#6 SgtSchmidt11

SgtSchmidt11

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:22 PM

Hopefully it's because they bumped him up a level!

#7 Ncgo4

Ncgo4

• Members
  • 260 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

Monkey paws, that was my first thought. On reflection, however, I cannot imagine that they left him in the game for all those innings if there was ANY doubt about the health of his wrist. No one and I mean NO ONE would want o be the manager that blew that decision.

#8 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 5,054 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:18 PM

Getting held out the next day after getting plunked in a sensitive area isn't uncommon. Even if he was held out because his wrist was sore, it doesn't mean it was re-aggravated. His sprained/jammed wrist would have involved damaged ligaments. A fastball to the wrist would have involved a simple contusion assuming it's not broken. Either way, just because it occurred on the same body part, doesn't mean it's the same injury. It shouldn't be anyway.

#9 stringer bell

stringer bell

Shaking the rust off................my golf game

• Twins News Team
  • 5,356 posts
  • LocationZumbrota MN

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:43 PM

There could be swelling etc. that develops overnight. I just don't know, but until he's back in the lineup or someone tweets that he is fine, I will be anxious about this bump in the road.

#10 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,768 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:42 AM

I'd also add that getting held out after playing 17 innings isn't uncommon either. Buxton has been out of commission all season long. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a tad sore (or just tired) after that. If he's out today, I think there's some legit reason to worry.

#11 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:00 PM

I'd also add that getting held out after playing 17 innings isn't uncommon either. Buxton has been out of commission all season long. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a tad sore (or just tired) after that. If he's out today, I think there's some legit reason to worry.

Good news/bad news:

[FONT=Gotham Narrow SSm]Posted ImageMike Berardino @MikeBerardino · 52s
[/FONT]

Buxton was hit on right wrist (other). Day to day.

I never like the dreaded "day to day" term in context with recent injury reports concerning Twins players and prospects. Having said that, it seems like it should be interpreted as good news for now. Despite earlier reports, it now appears that it wasn't his left wrist that was HBP, after-all. And I would think getting hit on the inside of your right wrist would pose less potential exposure and damage to all of the small bones in the joint. Still, two chronic wrist injuries to deal with at the same time, would be a pretty bad development.

Edited by jokin, 20 July 2014 - 01:24 PM.

#12 Jaykay

Jaykay

• Members
  • 237 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis

Posted 20 July 2014 - 12:59 PM

He's out of the lineup again today...

#13 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,408 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:08 PM

This does allow the concern level to come up a little bit...

#14 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:15 PM

This does allow the concern level to come up a little bit...

Confirmed, any setback at all at this late stage threatens to make this whole thing a lost season:

[FONT=Gotham Narrow SSm]Posted ImageFort Myers Miracle @MiracleBaseball · 1m
[/FONT]

LINEUP (4:05) 1. Mejia-5, 2. Polanco-4, 3. Harrison-7, 4. Hicks-3, 5. Walker-9, 6. Gonzales-DH, 7. Turner-2, 8. Kepler-8, 9. Goodrum-6

Edited by jokin, 20 July 2014 - 01:23 PM.

#15 Pius Jefferson

Pius Jefferson

Master of the Obvious

• Members
  • 510 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:26 PM

Who's the sob that hit Buxton in the wrist?

#16 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:54 PM

If it's this bad that he will miss multiple games because if it (he already has), he should absolutely NOT have been allowed to play another 11 innings after the injury happened.
That is no way to handle the #2 prospect in all of baseball.

I understand that as a competitor he probably said, "coach, it's nothing I'm fine", but its the coaching staff's job to think big picture and protect him from himself.

So very frustrating.

#17 WLFINN

WLFINN

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 04:59 PM

I imagine it tightened up once he cooled down from game action. little over reaction here

#18 Mr. Brooks

Mr. Brooks

• Members
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 05:03 PM

I imagine it tightened up once he cooled down from game action. little over reaction here

And I'd imagine that putting another 11 innings worth of stress on it after the injury probably "tightened" it up more than it otherwise would have.

To put it another way, would playing another 11 innings have in any way HELPED the injury? If the answer is no then it's not worth the risk, period.
You say, " I appreciate your toughness kid, but lets get you out and see how it feels in the morning."
Not difficult.

#19 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 9,408 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:23 PM

I'm sure the enjoyable 4 hour drive home after the 17 inning game didn't help either.

#20 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 8,954 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:27 AM

And now it can be told, he will sit again on Monday.

http://www.startribu.../267878491.html

The StarTribune sent out their Cub-ette reporter to get the latest on Buxon's wrist. (Were the main guys too busy on some other assignment?). Don't get me wrong, Megan Ryan got the requisite, if not definitive, quotes from the head honchos :

The 'good' wrist troubles top Twins prospect Buxton

[FONT=Arial]Brad Steil, Twins director of minor league operations, said Buxton’s wrist still is sore, and he most likely will sit out Monday’s game. Steil is hopeful Buxton can test the wrist on Tuesday....

[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]...(Terry) Ryan said he felt bad for the 20-year-old’s unending spiral of wrist injuries.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]“We just get him rolling, and he gets hit in the wrist again,” Ryan said. “He had a good week. And then he got hit in the wrist.”[/FONT]

Cursed?

Posted Image

Edited by jokin, 21 July 2014 - 08:43 AM.