Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/18): Extra, Extra

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,167 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:01 PM

You can view the page at http://www.twinsdail...18)-Extra-Extra

#2 lightfoot789

lightfoot789

• Members
  • 927 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 11:24 PM

Miracle lose 11-7 to Daytona Cubs on a walk off grand slam by "Rock Shoulders". The Miracle had the bases loaded with nobdy out in the top of 17th and couldn't score - K's by Hicks - Walker and Goodrum killed the rally. 23 hits and 23 K's for the Miracle + they walked 12 batters. They never should have lost (up 7-1 thru 6 innings), but were also lucky to ever be in the game (20 LOB). Tyler Jones pitched a great 9th minus the solo HR he gave up to lead off the inning ad tie the game. He follwed by striking out the side.

Great game by Buxton and Polanco. Nate Roberts had a great game too before leaving game for some reason. That ends a 7 game win streak for Miracle. Back at it tomorrow.
Oh - I mean later today. [5 hour 41 minute game]

#3 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 12:00 AM

Heard after the Kernels game that both the Lake County catcher and either their manager or a coach were "ejected" by the plate umpire after the game. The catcher was a no-brainer. He immediately got in the umpire's face and was bumping him with his chest. Contact is a no-no.

Swim's hitting streak was actually extended with a single in his second PA. The "double" Seth referred to (probably because that's what I initially Tweeted it was) turned out to have been scored a 3-base error on the CF (fixed-ed.). Swim hit a bloop in to RCF that the two OFs managed to miss. Maybe there was contact with the ball. I didn't think so, but I was in the stands getting some pictures at the time, so I was guessing that the call was a double with an advancing to 3B on an E8 (he had trouble picking up the ball, too). Once I got to the pressbox, I found Swim wasn't given a hit at all. Oh well, he singled in his next PA anyway.

Gallant has been dominant since joining the Kernels after his suspension ended. The guy clearly should be pitching at a higher level somewhere. He's old for Class A and he's got the ability to pitch at a level more appropriate for his age.

Edited by Kevin, 19 July 2014 - 06:27 AM.

#4 Pitz

Pitz

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:23 AM

Does anyone have any type of scouting report on Alexis Tapia? He caught my attention last year with his exceptional K/BB ratio in the DSL. Yesterday, he issued his first walk of the season (now 16.2 innings) compared to 17 K's. After so-so numbers in his first 2 outings in the GCL, his last 3 outings look very impressive: 10 IP, 4 Hits, 1 ER, 1 BB, 12 K's.

Obviously, its only rookie ball and he's still got a long way to go, but I've been cautiously excited about him. But I've only been able to 'scout the box scores' as I haven't found anything about what he throws and what kind of stuff he's got. Does anybody have any insight, and is there any chance he logs some innings in E'town this year?

#5 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 06:56 AM

Wow those hitting lines in Fort Myers last night were unbelievable. Buxton and Polanco combined to hit .642 (9-14) plus they walked 3 times combined and hit 2 homers. That is just something truly awesome to see. Hopefully both will continue to rake!

#6 drock2190

drock2190

• Members
  • 506 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:19 AM

When do promotions typically happen?

There hasnt been hardly any this year

#7 bfd13

bfd13

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 07:29 AM

Heard after the Kernels game that both the Lake County catcher and either their manager or a coach were "ejected" by the plate umpire after the game. The catcher was a no-brainer. He immediately got in the umpire's face and was bumping him with his chest. Contact is a no-no.

Swim's hitting streak was actually extended with a single in his second PA. The "double" Seth referred to (probably because that's what I initially Tweeted it was) turned out to have been scored a 3-base error on the CF (fixed-ed.). Swim hit a bloop in to RCF that the two OFs managed to miss. Maybe there was contact with the ball. I didn't think so, but I was in the stands getting some pictures at the time, so I was guessing that the call was a double with an advancing to 3B on an E8 (he had trouble picking up the ball, too). Once I got to the pressbox, I found Swim wasn't given a hit at all. Oh well, he singled in his next PA anyway.

Gallant has been dominant since joining the Kernels after his suspension ended. The guy clearly should be pitching at a higher level somewhere. He's old for Class A and he's got the ability to pitch at a level more appropriate for his age.

Was at the game. Lake County had a legitimate beef at the end of the game. It appeared the Kernels baserunner never reached the plate. Several of the Kernels had excellent offensive games, particularly Christensen and Kanzler. Several looked overmatches, particularly Murphy and Vielma.

#8 gil4

gil4

Irrational Optimist

• Members
  • 924 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:07 AM

Was at the game. Lake County had a legitimate beef at the end of the game. It appeared the Kernels baserunner never reached the plate.

Did they possibly rule him safe because of obstruction/blocking the plate?

#9 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 10,167 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

When do promotions typically happen?

There hasnt been hardly any this year

Typically several happen right after the MWL and FSL All Star games, but this year, there really weren't guys who were obviously needing/pushing a promotion. There have been quite a few moves this year though. They just seem to happen.

#10 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 10:11 AM

Did they possibly rule him safe because of obstruction/blocking the plate?

I did have that same thought. It's possible, I guess. The call seemed delayed a split second. Usually, though, the folks doing the official scoring come back to the press box after the game and they've spoken to the managers and umpires and let the media know about any official scoring items.

Last night, they came up and let us know about the post-finish ejections, but said nothing about the safe call being for the catcher blocking the plate.

Mediacom will be replaying the game a couple times this weekend on MC-22 locally. Maybe have a chance to get another look.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#11 Brandon

Brandon

• Members
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

I imagine Buxton will be ready for his promotion to AA soon as it appears he has knocked off the rust. My guess is another week where he's at then off to AA.

The only other promotions that look like they should happen is May to the majors after a few starts and maybe a AAA reliever as several look ready to contribute. Most everyone else has been promoted. Maybe Vargas towards the end of the season to AAA.

#12 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,348 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:47 AM

I hope the Twins trade for Rock Shoulders for no other reason than his name.

#13 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 10,178 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 03:13 PM

Seth, Polanco is ready. No idea why he is not promoted yet.

#14 h2oface

h2oface

Lifelong since '61

• Members
  • 967 posts
  • LocationTralfamadore

Posted 19 July 2014 - 04:39 PM

Hicks is up to .297 now (13/35 .371 in the last 10 games)....... perhaps he goes to Rochester when Buxton goes to New Britain.

#15 ashburyjohn

ashburyjohn

Twins Fan

• Twins Mods
  • 8,599 posts
  • LocationIt's complicated.

Posted 19 July 2014 - 08:26 PM

I hope the Twins trade for Rock Shoulders for no other reason than his name.

Him and Zack Granite could be the Lynn and Rice of our era.

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 6,348 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:46 AM

Imagine an outfield with both of them in it.

#17 goulik

goulik

• Members
  • 588 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 07:53 AM

Granite Shoulders are even better than Rock Shoulders though technically Granite is a type of Rock