Game-time forecast: Mostly sunny. Winds blowing in from right field at 10-15 m.p.h. Temperature around 75.
And now for Brian and his musings ... always a treat ... stay tuned ...
And so it does begin... The 2nd Half which isn't as long as the 1st half... But much longer then the 3rd half and it's been awhile since the Twins were part of the 3rd half.
Things to Think About:
1. Derek Jeter -- It's a feather in the cap of an organization to host an event like the All-Star game. I was proud of the Twins organization when it comes to their organization of the all-star game. It all went off without a hitch... unless you want to curse mother nature for the rain that fell during the home run derby. I'm not going to curse mother nature... she can be a lot tougher. I only wish that ESPN, The Sportswriters, The Baseball Talking Heads around the globe would have mentioned at some point time that Derek Jeter was playing in this all-star game. Talking about Derek Jeter for 96 Hours straight seemed to under do it.
2. Tampa Bay Rays -- How the mighty have fallen... The Baltimore Orioles and Toronto Blue Jays are looking around and thinking to themselves... What's going on. The Rays suck... The Red Sox suck... and the Yankees suck. Umm... Wake up the scouts... Wake up the marketing department... We've got a chance to do something here. We need to think about the 2nd half differently then we usually do. As for the Rays... The once mighty pitching staff wasn't healthy enough to be a mighty pitching staff and without pitching... The great Joe Maddon can try all the voodoo he wants but it ain't gonna work. There was a time when the Rays had the worst record in baseball... but they are starting to get some pitching back and they are starting to win some games. The Twins can't overlook anyone and they should not overlook the Rays.
3. Alex Cobb -- A fairly talented 26 Year old right-hander from Boston Massachusetts... Alex Cobb was named after corn. On a serious note... I rarely do that... so pay attention... On a Serious Note... When I think of Alex Cobb... I think of my biggest fear in this game that I love. My biggest fear is a pitcher getting struck by a hard come backer and getting killed. I know we don't have pitchers dropping like flies but I really do believe it's not a question of IF but when. Probably at the College level with metal bats but it is a thought that has scared me for quite some time. I mention this because Alex Cobb was out for two months last year after getting hit in the skull with a come backer. Alex is now endorsing the use of protective caps at the youth level. I'm all for that and I support Alex and this effort. On the mound... He's a good locator of pitches and I think his splitter is his best pitch.
4. Danny Santana -- He's back and playing CF tonight... I hope he comes back... hitting the ground running... His speed is a welcome addition to the club.
5. The Mall -- I went to the mall with my wife. She asked me if I wanted to come and for some reason I said OK. That was my first mistake... For the life of me... I have no idea why I said OK. I wonder if she would have asked... Do you want to go with me to the DMV? I wonder if I would have said yes to that... It was obviously a weak moment.
Edited by Riverbrian, 18 July 2014 - 04:57 PM.