Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

The Store

Subscribe to Twins Daily Email

Recent Blogs

Photo

Matt Kemp

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 zwiefz

zwiefz

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

Article on ESPN.com says Matt Kemp would like to be traded in order to be an everyday center fielder.

With Buxton's progression slowed down quite a bit because of the injury should the Twins have any interest at all?

I think the biggest issue with this is the length/amount of money left on Kemp's contract. How much would the Dodgers have to be willing to pay for it to make sense? And what kind of prospects/players would you be willing to give up?

I haven't heard a direct connection between the Twins and Kemp, but figured I'd start a discussion anyway. For the right price in money and prospects it might be a good fit to see if he can return to his previous form for a season or two until Buxton is ready and then Kemp could slide back to a corner spot.

#2 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,252 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:20 AM

he's not ever healthy, and he's not that good anymore. Not sure why the Twins would do this. If he was healthy, maybe.

I'd want his salary under $10MM per year, and I'd want to give up Kepler or someone like that, throw in Duensing if you want....

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#3 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,546 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:21 AM

4 more years at $21 mil per. That is quite the risk.

I would want that down to 14-15 before I would think about it, and I would give up something of substance, none of the top 6, but perhaps something in the next tier if the Dodgers take back enough money.

This is much more likely in the offseason.
Papers...business papers.

#4 Winston Smith

Winston Smith

Old Geezer

• Members
  • 1,530 posts
  • LocationOceania

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:28 AM

If the cost fits do it, he is better than what we have now.

May all our prospects be All Stars and the beer be free.

#5 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:32 AM

Depends on the prospects, but do not see the Twins doing this. Dodgers would want a starting pitcher(Nolasco?) and at least one of the Twins top 5 and another probably top 20 prospect. Might look at it if they would take Nolasco off our hands, but then it would depend on the rest of the package.

#6 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 4,439 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:36 AM

I'd listen but not if the Dodgers want top prospects in return.

The problem is, as soon as Buxton is ready, we're going to hear the same complaining about playing CF.

Also, a guy who's a starter on a championship caliber team is asking to get traded. It's not even like he's on the bench and wants to play more. It's pretty easy to see he's much less concerned with winning than he is with getting his way.

#7 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:39 AM

Man, he has a -2.4 dWAR value in LF? His bat is ok.

I don't know. If we traded for him, I think we'd need a better handle on his defensive abilities. That said, isn't he used to dating hollywood types? I don't think he'd want to come to MN anyway.

The team has enough payroll room to bring him on and he's young enough (29) where he wouldn't automatically be a albatross in 2018 but if he's a worse defender than Willingham ... no thank you.

#8 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:45 AM

No way do the Twins want to sign 29 year old Kemp. $21,000,000 for 2014. $21,500,000 for 2015. It gets worse...totaling $107,000,000 through 2019 season. His BIS Defensive Runs Saved Above Average is -44 in 2014 and for his 9 year career, he has averaged -12. He only has 8 HR this year and is hitting .270. Last year he hit .269. His WAR is -1.2 this year. There are reasons he is not an everyday CF...but at $21,000,000 per year, he would be an albatross.

#9 mike wants wins

mike wants wins

Would Like to be More Positive

• Members
  • 7,252 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:46 AM

I didn't know his D was that bad. And, now that I think about it, his attitude is not ideal.....I'm less interested the more I think about it.

What I just typed is probably an opinion, not a fact. I mean, I'm usually right, so you should maybe assume it is or will be a fact soon, but that's up to you. :)

#10 tarheeltwinsfan

tarheeltwinsfan

• Members
  • 150 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:48 AM

I'm quoting Gunnarthur "That said, isn't he used to dating hollywood types? I don't think he'd want to come to MN anyway." Uh oh Gun...I want to go officially on record right here, right now and state that there are many, many absolutely gorgeous women in Minnesota.

Edited by tarheeltwinsfan, 18 July 2014 - 08:52 AM.

#11 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,242 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:52 AM

no.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#12 gunnarthor

gunnarthor

• Members
  • 3,066 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

No way do the Twins want to sign 29 year old Kemp. $21,000,000 for 2014. $21,500,000 for 2015. It gets worse...totaling $107,000,000 through 2019 season. His BIS Defensive Runs Saved Above Average is -44 in 2014 and for his 9 year career, he has averaged -12. He only has 8 HR this year and is hitting .270. Last year he hit .269. His WAR is -1.2 this year. There are reasons he is not an everyday CF...but at $21,000,000 per year, he would be an albatross.

And let me clarify that, while I said they could afford him, I did expect that the Dodgers would eat some of that salary.

#13 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:04 AM

And let me clarify that, while I said they could afford him, I did expect that the Dodgers would eat some of that salary.

When a team shoots themselves in the foot with a terrible contract, a complainer, a declining guy....best move is to let it happen. We should not go near this guy.

#14 twinsfan34

twinsfan34

Paul DeVos

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

Without a doubt, no. Not even if he was given to us for no prospects, just pay his salary. "Return to Sender."

#15 ericchri

ericchri

Generally Clueless

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:39 AM

If they eat all of his salary (to the tune of we pay him about $1 million per year), then we can start considering it. Otherwise it's not worth the trouble it brings.

#16 diehardtwinsfan

diehardtwinsfan

Twins Moderator

• Twins Mods
  • 5,036 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

This makes no sense at all for the Twins. He's not playing well and will likely be eclipsed by any of the Twins CF prospects. He cost 21M/yr and will cost prospects. The Twins need a 1 year stop gap in CF, not a 4 year bad contract.

#17 jaimedude2

jaimedude2

• Members
  • 182 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

if not more. I like that he is a right handed power bat and think that Kemp's bat would translate well to Target field. Problem is the Dodgers would want a package of Jorge Polanco, Max Kepler, Kohl Stewart or Trevor May types back.
To eat the level of salary the Twins would require on the Kemp contract you'
would have to give up three pretty good to excellent prospects. There is no way they want Nolasco back at the amount of money he makes.
Dodgers would want three controllable guys with high upside to take back 50 to 60% of the Kemp salary. That kind of deal doesn't make a lot of sense for the Twins.

#18 beckmt

beckmt

• Members
  • 910 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:15 PM

Depends on how badly the Dodgers want to get rid of him. A few years ago he was a top 10 major league talent. He still is 29, maybe the Dodgers just aren't working out for him and a change in scenery is in order, I still would not want to give up top 10 prospects to get him, unless the Dodgers ate most of his salary would be reluctant to give up a top 20 prospect. Twins could still do much worse depending on the scenario, but would look hard at it.