Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.

Vikings Journal Forums

The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

Article: Twins Minor League Report (7/17):

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 06:00 AM

You can view the page at http://twinsdaily.co...e-Report-(7-17)

@ERolfPleiss

"A hotdog is a sandwich."

#2 benji21

benji21

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:38 AM

Nice to see levi michael playing again and grabbing a hit. Some nice hitting performances yesterday all over the system! However I can't help but notice the conspicuous absence of May's start. Where is that guy??

#3 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:51 AM

Nice to see levi michael playing again and grabbing a hit. Some nice hitting performances yesterday all over the system! However I can't help but notice the conspicuous absence of May's start. Where is that guy??

I love that Buxton is 5 for 9 in his last two games, with a HR.

Much has been made of Kohl Stewarts low K's, but he sports a healthy 2.5 K BB ratio and the just 69 hits in 81 IP, .3 HR per 9. Any reports on his movement? Seems like nobody is squaring him up.

#4 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

Majoring in minors, minoring in Majors

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:58 AM

Just a quick correction, Eric, on the Kernels paragraph. It was the Kernels' LF Jon Murphy who threw out the runner who rounded 2B too far to end the game. The runner was actually the Captains' Jorge Martinez.

The box score won't show it, but the "triple" Boyd gave up (and which led to the run he gave up) in his inning on the mound was a fluke. Murphy, in LF, never saw the ball. He was standing in the middle of LF with that "where is it?" body language when the ball landed in the far LF corner.

My inherent empathy for pitchers simply compels me to point things like that out when they happen.

#5 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:05 AM

Much has been made of Kohl Stewarts low K's, but he sports a healthy 2.5 K BB ratio and the just 69 hits in 81 IP, .3 HR per 9. Any reports on his movement? Seems like nobody is squaring him up.

His groundball rate has been good all year and last night was no exception. 9 ground ball outs, 2 in the air. All 4 hits he gave up were singles, none of them stroked particularly impressively (one, I recall was a broken-bat variety that dropped weakly in to LCF).

His last two starts, since that little incident a couple weeks ago when he got ejected in the third inning, have both been solid. His 5-inning starts are a factor of his continued pitch limit, nothing more.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#6 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:18 AM

His groundball rate has been good all year and last night was no exception. 9 ground ball outs, 2 in the air. All 4 hits he gave up were singles, none of them stroked particularly impressively (one, I recall was a broken-bat variety that dropped weakly in to LCF).

His last two starts, since that little incident a couple weeks ago when he got ejected in the third inning, have both been solid. His 5-inning starts are a factor of his continued pitch limit, nothing more.

Thank you. It would be great if he turned into a ground ball type pitcher with good movement. When he unleashes that slider maybe the K rate climbs. Any guesses on how many sliders he threw last night?

#7 Boone

Boone

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:26 AM

Thank you. It would be great if he turned into a ground ball type pitcher with good movement. When he unleashes that slider maybe the K rate climbs. Any guesses on how many sliders he threw last night?

Stewart's ability to generate ground balls has been under appreciated all year. Last night: 9 ground outs: 2 fly outs. For the season, his GO/AO ratio is 1.81 and it has improved as the season has gone on: his GO/AO ratio was 1.32 in both April and May.

#8 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 08:50 AM

No specific reports on his movement but there's this from Klaw yesterday:

[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]His first full pro season has gone way better than I expected, as he's throwing a lot of strikes and getting ground balls, sitting 92-96 mph with a plus slider and future-average curve and change.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Which implies that his FB must have some nice downward movement. And best yet, at 2nd youngest qualified pitcher in the Midwest League...he's close to 2nd in the ML in GB% (mid 50% range), 3rd in lowest LD%, 6th lowest SLG average (just over .300...vs. league average of .376). So, yep, they aren't squaring up much on his stuff, and this is apparently only using his slider sparingly. Very encouraging, but I gotta think he gets shut down around 100 innings (currently 81.2 IP)- so maybe only 4-5 more starts, he's in uncharted territory right now- he'd be throwing a football around in any other July.

Edited by jokin, 18 July 2014 - 12:43 PM.

#9 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:17 AM

No specific reports on his movement but there's this from Klaw yesterday:

Which implies that his FB must have some nice downward movement. And best yet, at 2nd youngest qualified pitcher in the Midwest League...he's close to 2nd in the ML in GB% (upper 50% range), 6th in lowest LD%, 6th lowest SLG average (just over .300...vs. league average of .376). So, yep, they aren't squaring up much on his stuff, and this is apparently only using his slider sparingly. Very encouraging, but I gotta think he gets shut down around 100 innings (currently 81.2 IP)- so maybe only 4-5 more starts, he's in uncharted territory right now- he'd be throwing a football around in any other July.

Everything I see says Kohl is having a great year and I honestly expected him to start out very slow given the lack of baseball.

We make a lot of noise about the K's, but he is sitting at 6.36 per 9. Is it safe to assume he would get at least 1 more K per 5 IP start if he was using his best pitch more? It seems to me like it would. If he did his K rate would jump to 8.13 per 9 and none of us would be talking about it.

#10 SD Buhr

SD Buhr

• Members
  • 763 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:18 AM

No idea on the number of sliders. I had enough trouble keeping track of the number of $2 Thirsty Thursday beers I was having.

He started the year not throwing any sliders, but for some time now it has been part of his arsenal. He isn't throwing it a ton, but that probably just makes it that much more effective when he does.

Covering the Cedar Rapids Kernels for MetroSportsReport.com while my alter-ego, Jim Crikket, opines about the Twins and Kernels at Knuckleballsblog.com.

~You can get anything you want at Alice's Restaurant~

#11 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 09:47 AM

Everything I see says Kohl is having a great year and I honestly expected him to start out very slow given the lack of baseball.

We make a lot of noise about the K's, but he is sitting at 6.36 per 9. Is it safe to assume he would get at least 1 more K per 5 IP start if he was using his best pitch more? It seems to me like it would. If he did his K rate would jump to 8.13 per 9 and none of us would be talking about it.

If he was closer to K/9 of 9, we might also be talking about when his inevitable breakdown and TJ surgery is scheduled. We have to keep going back to how raw this kid is as a pitcher, and Klaw confirms what you surmised, he said it best yesterday:

....[COLOR=#333333][FONT=Verdana]but his delivery was so unpolished and his command so inconsistent that he looked like a long-term project for the Twins[/FONT][/COLOR]

The Twins would be wise to continue on the present course for Stewart: ie, avoid over-reliance on the slider, keep tightening up the mechanics, working on the straight change, and continuing to build the arm strength (pre-hab is much better than re-hab) so that he can be counted on in a few years to throw 200 IP/year.

#12 Eric R Pleiss

Eric R Pleiss

• Members
  • 129 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

I can't help but notice the conspicuous absence of May's start. Where is that guy??

Should be pitching Saturday, per the Red Wings. may.JPG

#13 tobi0040

tobi0040

• Members
  • 1,492 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:43 AM

No idea on the number of sliders. I had enough trouble keeping track of the number of $2 Thirsty Thursday beers I was having..

I think you bring $40 cash and just do the math in the morning!

#14 kdrupp09

kdrupp09

• Members
  • 241 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

That must be quite the outfield Fort Myers is rocking, Buxton in right with Santana in Center, sounds like that might be where fly balls go to die.

#15 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,317 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

That must be quite the outfield Fort Myers is rocking, Buxton in right with Santana in Center, sounds like that might be where fly balls go to die.

Sanatana is back with the Twins today.

#16 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:48 PM

I think you bring $40 cash and just do the math in the morning!

That is both smart and funny.

#17 Dantes929

Dantes929

• Members
  • 351 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Throw in either Hicks or Rosario in left and it doesn't matter where the fly balls go as long as they are inside the park.