Providing independent coverage of the Minnesota Twins.
The same great Twins Daily coverage, now for the Vikings.

The Store

Photo

May scratched tonight in favor of Pino

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,020 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 02:37 PM

Yohan Pino is now listed as tonight's starter for the Red Wings, with May moved back to Friday night, and Alex Meyer to Saturday.

This sets up Johnson to start on Monday for the Twins (as he's been listed on ESPN since Sunday evening) and Pino to get the start for the Twins on Tuesday if Nolasco can't go.

So, bottom line no imminent move to May or Meyer before the deadline trading period is determined one way or the other. I suppose a bad performance by either Johnson or Pino in the meantime might change the timetable without a Correia trade or longer DL stay for Nolasco.

Edited by jokin, 17 July 2014 - 02:40 PM.

#2 spycake

spycake

• Members
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the update.

This is what I've been speculating, unfortunately. And I am really not convinced that the trading deadline is going to open up any more spots -- the open spot is Pino's (and Johnson's, at the moment). Would love to see them used on actual prospects.

#3 nicksaviking

nicksaviking

• Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:26 PM

I can't even begin to describe how much 87 MPH fastballs make me want to watch the 2nd half of this season.

#4 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 03:51 PM

Makes sense... Get May a start or two after missing 3-4 weeks. Let Meyer come up August 1. Works for me.

#5 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,020 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 04:53 PM

Makes sense... Get May a start or two after missing 3-4 weeks. Let Meyer come up August 1. Works for me.

Yeah, it looks like the theory that has been floated all along about Meyer taking Correia's roster spot might still come to fruition. But I still am not getting my hopes up too high for Meyer getting the call before September, or next year.

#6 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,020 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:13 PM

Jeremy's update, May moved back another day. Does that have any more significance, now pairing Meyer up with Nolasco's spot, rather than May?

[COLOR=#292F33][FONT=Gotham Narrow SSm][COLOR=#8899A6]Posted ImageJeremy Nygaard [COLOR=#8899A6]@jeremynygaard[/COLOR] · 36m
[/COLOR]
Let's try this all again: [COLOR=#66B5D2]#[/COLOR]RedWings website has it backwards. It'll be Pino tonight, Meyer tomorrow and May on Saturday.

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#292F33][FONT=Gotham Narrow SSm][COLOR=#8899A6]Posted ImageJeremy Nygaard [COLOR=#8899A6]@jeremynygaard[/COLOR] · 39m
[/COLOR]

[/FONT][/COLOR]
Just learned the [COLOR=#66B5D2]#[/COLOR]RedWings are coming out of the break with Pino, Meyer and then May - not vice versa - as their website shows.

#7 drjim

drjim

• Members
  • 2,088 posts
  • LocationSt. Paul

Posted 17 July 2014 - 05:34 PM

Jeremy's update, May moved back another day. Does that have any more significance, now pairing Meyer up with Nolasco's spot, rather than May?

Let's hope so. I appreciate that calling up May without a couple of starts would be a mistake, but rolling out Johnson and Pino for more than a start (or two) would be uninspiring to say the least.
Papers...business papers.

#8 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:05 PM

The longer they wait to give May and Meyer the call........ the more innings used on limited innings arms in AAA, and the less fresh those arms are. It would be more prudent to let them have the shot with fresher arms.

#9 Badsmerf

Badsmerf

• Members
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:33 PM

This is pointless. Meyer and May aren't coming up ever. In fact, I'm starting to doubt they aren't even real. They are an elaborate hoax created by the Twins to keep fans interested. I'm not fooled anymore. This circus is over boys! I feel a whole lot better knowing they aren't actually real.
Do or do not. There is no try.

#10 Seth Stohs

Seth Stohs

Owner

• Administrators
  • 7,445 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:28 PM

Love the cynicism, especially after May has been on the DL for nearly a month, and Meyer has had 3 OK starts after 3 horrible starts.

That said, Pino didn't exactly pitch well tonight. Pino's been solid for the Twins this year in his limited duty. I have zero problem with sticking by him temporarily. May and Meyer will get their shot. No rush. Twins aren't going to the playoffs.

#11 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:43 PM

There will probably also be a pitch limit on Saturday for May too.

I don't think he was scratched as much as the website just pushed him back a day. Pino will start once before being re-promoted and Hamburger will start the 6th game after break.

I truly believe we would have seen May by the end of the month if it weren't for Sunday's rainout. Still don't think it'll be too long into August before he debuts.

#12 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,020 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:45 PM

Love the cynicism, especially after May has been on the DL for nearly a month, and Meyer has had 3 OK starts after 3 horrible starts.

That said, Pino didn't exactly pitch well tonight. Pino's been solid for the Twins this year in his limited duty. I have zero problem with sticking by him temporarily. May and Meyer will get their shot. No rush. Twins aren't going to the playoffs.

I should say so....5 IP, 5 ER, 7 BB...perhaps the inevitable regression to the mediocre mean is happening.

#13 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,020 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:58 PM

There will probably also be a pitch limit on Saturday for May too.

I don't think he was scratched as much as the website just pushed him back a day. Pino will start once before being re-promoted and Hamburger will start the 6th game after break.

I truly believe we would have seen May by the end of the month if it weren't for Sunday's rainout. Still don't think it'll be too long into August before he debuts.

Well he started out with a scheduled start on Thursday (which lined him up with Nolasco's scheduled start next Tuesday), he was the only projected starter listed on the Wings site at the time, this afternoon it was bumped to Friday, and then you reported it as being bumped again to Saturday. Probably a clerical mistake for him not starting on Friday, but it may actually be significant in that he now lines up with Correia:confused:

#14 h2oface

h2oface

• Members
  • 391 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:34 PM

I should say so....5 IP, 5 ER, 7 BB...perhaps the inevitable regression to the mediocre mean is happening.

It seems like the AAAA pitchers (and many hitters, too) do horrible, even worse than the mediocre stops in the show, once they get sent back to AAA. I could be way off statistically, but that is what it feels like.

#15 jokin

jokin

Twins News Team

• Twins News Team
  • 7,020 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:10 PM

It seems like the AAAA pitchers (and many hitters, too) do horrible, even worse than the mediocre stops in the show, once they get sent back to AAA. I could be way off statistically, but that is what it feels like.

Liam Hendriks dissents.

#16 SpiritofVodkaDave

SpiritofVodkaDave

• Members
  • 4,126 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:11 PM

That said, Pino didn't exactly pitch well tonight. Pino's been solid for the Twins this year in his limited duty. I have zero problem with sticking by him temporarily. May and Meyer will get their shot. No rush. [SIZE=5]Twins aren't going to the playoffs[/SIZE].

Love the cynicism ;)
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take"- L. Harvey Oswald

:whacky028::whacky028: :whacky028::whacky028:

#17 Jeremy Nygaard

Jeremy Nygaard

Twins Database Manager

• Twins Database Managers
  • 2,129 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:14 PM

Well he started out with a scheduled start on Thursday (which lined him up with Nolasco's scheduled start next Tuesday), he was the only projected starter listed on the Wings site at the time, this afternoon it was bumped to Friday, and then you reported it as being bumped again to Saturday. Probably a clerical mistake for him not starting on Friday, but it may actually be significant in that he now lines up with Correia:confused:

My point was that after the rainout, the people running the site just slid him to tonight without knowledge of how the rotation would be out of the break.